Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why do so many users complain about the Genie 2 HS 17 ?

Tutor

Why do so many users complain about the Genie 2 HS 17 ?

I had my HR 54 removed in 2017 and replaced with the Genie 2 , it was a buggy mess running the old slow menu etc ... but after several updates here in 2019 the Genie 2 is by far the best DVR hands down ! Built in wireless video bridge , no need to have that hardwired box you had with your HR44 HR54 , the system is as fast as any DVR I’ve seen it used as the software has been updated amazingly , you can place this unit out of the way as long as you give it a decent path to your mini clients , as the WVB is built in , my on demand , recorded shows all work flawlessly , I have it in my living room where I have a hardwired Mini for my 4K tv , I have 2 wireless HD minis in bedrooms , I can have all 3  plus wireless devices using the Genie 2 without issue , it’s a space saver you need less wiring it has tons of storage , it’s a server you do t need to see it just set it up and forget it , I’ve heard complaints that the Genie 2 requires a wired client for 4K TVs well so did every previous model , and 4K content is almost non existent as we speak unless you want to pay extra when you watch a on demand movie , that’s not the fault of the DVR , some want to keep more then one DVR in house , WHY ? That hasn’t been a option since the HR44 though I think DTV let some existing customers do this do to the limitations on capacity of older models , and is not needed with the Genie 2 , the beauty of this DVR is it being a server it is there for one purpose to serve your genie clients , and it does a great job , so go downgrade your system put all your wiring back in plus your video bridge and your 3 low capacity DVRs in every room SMH , and my last comment is about those complaining about only handling I think 7 clients ? How many TVs do you have in one house ? 8 ? If so take the ones out of the bathrooms and kitchen you are watching far too much TV !! So that’s my 12 cents , it records great , it’s wireless , no WVB , menu is fast as any other though this is partially due to the constant updates to the Genie minis , all n all if you don’t like this DVR over all previous the problem is probably on your end lack of bandwidth for steaming bad placement though pretty hard to do as Genie uses a proprietary WiFi network that seems to out perform most home routers , one tip I have is that if your Genie 2 is near your router Hardwire it , most problems I’ve seen are from weak WiFi from cheap routers to the Genie ! Some people just don’t know when they got it good !!! I am a Original DTV customer before DVRs and though DTV did have better tech support then ATT it’s still the best !! 

Message 1 of 17
Tutor

Re: Why do so many users complain about the Genie 2 HS 17 ?

Hey little brother you know I love the genie 2 also I think people who have problems tend to blame it as ATT tech support is lacking on explaining issues and half the time the techs that come out can’t figure it out , but it’s is a great system , once all setup right it can’t be touched by any other DVR 

Message 2 of 17
Employee

While the HS-17 did suffer some bugs during its release it is a good system overall. We do far more installs of the Genie 2 than we do service calls, and most of the service calls we get are for issues unrelated to the HS-17 (cables, fittings, dish, etc ...). I won't upgrade because I'm stubborn and I like my HR-24, but the Genie 2 is a great option that provides a clean install with less cables. 

I think it gets a bad wrap for two reasons:

1) There is an issue with the install and that issue gets blamed on the Genie 2.

2) Lack of proper education. Most all of the jobs I have had where we were removing the Genie 2 and switching back to the original Genie were caused by the fact that the customer was not made aware that they would lose their HD/HDDVR receivers.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 17
Employee

As a tech support rep, I think Cstarman922 had it right with the first reason - whenever there's a 'known issue' with a system (in this case the HS17 with wireless clients), newer tech support agents especially tend to think it's more widespread than it is.  I have run into some cases where nothing that was tried, multiple service calls, etc. would resolve the freezing issue (in which case I'd usually work with my team lead on providing wired clients to customer), but poor installs are a much more common culprit. So in cases where a service call would be scheduled for a customer with any other equipment, with the HS17 their workflow would direct them to 'known issue' that we were working on. When a customer just upgraded their system and they're given an indefinite amount of time for it to be fixed, they're obviously going to be unhappy -  when in reality they may have just needed a tech to come back out  Gave the HS17s a bad rap.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 17
Tutor

I agree with all you stated and I do think education on the hs17 would help , one thing directv has been lacking that others have is the ability to backup your playlist even if it’s in encrypted and would be of no use for anything but restoring to a new or replacement DVR , this is why many dislike upgrading , though DVRs are not meant to store programming for long periods most do and hate to lose content , that’s why the best selling point of a DVR is storage capacity in hours , I know others can do this and directv has need promising this for a decade , maybe someday Smiley Happy)

Message 5 of 17
ACE - Expert

I agree that the HS17 has gotten more reliable. But I still don't like the fact that with the HS17 setup you can ONLY have Genie Mini Client boxes. No regular HD DVRs or HD Receivers can be used. That means if ANYTHING goes wrong with your HS17 you will have nothing. At least with a mixed HR44/HR54 Genie DVR and other HD DVRs you have more flexibility and some redundancy. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 17
Tutor

I agree with you on the lack of redundancy though the one and only time I had a DVR go belly up on me was 15 years ago and Directv had a new one overnighted to me , my main concern then was again my lost recordings , Now days everyone has a smart tv as I do so I can stream all the premium channels for one day should my DVR die, to be honest I think directv DVRs have been more reliable over the years then most other devices we all rely on but we don’t need say 3 routers etc ... I actually bought a hr17 from solid signal upgraded the 2TB to 4TB 6 months ago and I’m sure it will last me until the next great thing Smiley Happy)
Message 7 of 17
ACE - Master

its still hamstrung by what it is

compared to my genie and hr it has fewer timers

less space

with the same number of tuners

if my genie dies, which it has, i still have the hr to fall back on

compare it to the hopper 3 and it gets even worse

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17
Tutor

So basically you don't like the HS because it and your multi DVR receiver
setup are about equal but you

are so worried it may go down you would lose sleep over it ?

Myself I was more then happy to get rid of the other DRV'S I had 3 at one
time , all that extra wiring and equipment

Separate WVB , Deca's , band stop filters etc..

but in the end you are not the typical user who would or does love the nice
clean install even at the risk of the genie crashing ,

You can buy one brand new from Oregon for just over 100 bucks , that way if
yours goes down, pop the sim in the new one give

DIRECTV a call with the numbers and you should be back up again in a few
hours ..

Message 9 of 17
ACE - Master

you cannot buy one for $100.

heck you cant buy one at all, well not easlily

no i dont lose sleep, but i do think about it.  but i also back up my pc regularly

these do not have sims, they do have smart cards, but 'popping one in' will not activate it

i also do not like the form factor of the hs17

where they heck do you put it? not in a rack, not in my media center.

on the floor behind tv?

as for wires, i prefer them.  they are more reliable than wireless

but to each thier own

oh and ask people that need more than 7 tv's what they think of it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 10 of 17
Tutor

No don’t get me wrong I get your point of view totally , your needs are different then mine and I respect that , That’s why I started this thread to get others opinions . But yes you can get a new genie for 125.00 I have one that I swapped out as that’s the one I put the 4TB HDD in , I had no problems from DTV and the leased one is sitting in my closet so I do have a fallback though losing my recordings has got me close to divorce court after upgrades over the years as the wife sees it as her own personal storage ! I just think the G2 for what it is , is pretty darn good at what it does ... here is the guy that sold me and many others genies , hope it’s ok to post ...

8ED8875D-69AE-4956-91AF-81104FB43012.jpeg

Message 11 of 17
ACE - Master

genie 2 cannot be owned

i do not know haw they are getting away with that

Message 12 of 17
Tutor

That’s true what actually happens is you pay say 100.00 on a best offer , what you are paying that 100.00 for is piece of mind , as long as the DVR sits inactivated you don’t pay a lease fee but once say yours crashes and you activate this backup you start a new 24 month lease fee and you must return theirs or pay say 399.00 , and at any time should you deactivate the new genie or cancel DTV you must send the $100.00 “purchased “ unit back to them also ! What I still have not figured out is though these authorized dealers can get 100s of units free as they are supposed to be installed and leased , but from what I understand the dealers are taking say 50 out of their inventory of 100 and selling them for 125 or more each , solid signal is a authorized dealer that charges a ton for kits but the fine print says DTV requires a 2 year lease agreement , so I don’t know exactly what they are selling , I did buy my HR44 from solid signal and paid while using it but after 24 months my contract ended and I paid no lease fee and still have it as DTV didn’t want it when I upgraded to the Genie 2 ? Sorry for rambling it’s confusing SMH
Message 13 of 17
ACE - Master

all receviers are leased now

some older models could be owned.

there used to be a clause that they had to be activated within a certain time period also

as i said i am not sure what they are doing or how they are doing it.

there have also been a few issues with receivers from anyplace buy directv lately.

seems they wont activate them, unless they cam from directv. 

Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Tutor

Solid Signal pricing 1F208428-9999-4790-967F-53558C89C113.jpeg

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support