Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Why bad info on myATT (Directv) website regarding the status of my 3 DVR's

Scholar

Why bad info on myATT (Directv) website regarding the status of my 3 DVR's

I just verified that all three of my tv boxes, an HR44 Genie, a C31-700 Slave and a standalone HR22-100 are working fine and ARE ALL connected to the internet.  But on my "myATT" account when I ask it to look at "My Equipment" and "Manage Receivers", it says that "0 of 3 receivers are connected...".  That's just WRONG!!!!  

And I'm not going to go punching buttons it offers, like "Receonnect" when I know for a fact they already ARE connected.  

Anyone know why my three receivers that are all connected to both Directv and to the Internet say otherwise online???  

thanks...

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

If they're connected to the internet and working fine, it doesn't matter what the web site shows.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Scholar

Problem is I wanted to use the "My Equipment" information available online to be able to enter into another post on another website to tell someone what hardware I had.  But because I couldn't get beyond the "not connected" message I couldn't see what the hardware type was, like I knew I had an HR22 but I wanted to know that it was more fully an HR22-100.  On the old Directv website that information was readily available.  Now, AT&T has offered us all the "progress" (yes, I'm being sarcastic) that offered me NO useful information online but instead I had to get up and goto each room and seek Info on each of my three pieces of hardware.  

Yes, I have no doubt the website is just broken and my hardware is just fine but at some point, one has to wonder why folks can't just adhere to the old golden rule, "if it ain't broke (back when it was the older and yet functional Directv website), don't fix it (to a point where now it IS broken, the newer ATT website)".  Just frustrated..  

Message 3 of 13
ACE - Expert

And internet connection wouldn't give you that additional information.

You can find the full model number on a label near the access card, or rear/bottom panels. 

But I agree that they've lost some useful information in the transition to the AT&T site. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

To see full model (HR22), and manufacturer code (-100) as in who made it, just go Settings > Info and Test. Should show the info right on the screen.

The new website access needs to get back to full info like it was on the proprietary DirecTV site. And to clarify, you have 2 receivers. The Mini Genie (C31) is a Client, not a receiver. Unfortunately too many places are calling it a receiver, supposedly not to confuse people with too many terms. Key difference is Client has no tuners (steals one from the Genie) or recording space, and cannot work without being connected to the Genie (HR44). So though an older model, your HR22 is better than the C31, especially since there is no difference in monthly cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 5 of 13
Scholar

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.  And, Juniper, thanks for the clarification on the C31.  I knew it wasn't really a receiver but is instead just a slave to the Genie.  But I was a bit fast and loose with my terms.  But thanks for the clarification.  What I'm really after is related to the HR22.  It's pretty old and I'm in Northern Ca where all the fires (I'm 50 miles away from the current big fire in the Wine Country keep creating havoc.  We've not lost power but our power glitches often which causes both the HR44 and HR22 to reboot.  An old HR34 we had before the 44 found its end by one too many power glitches where it would no longer reboot.  And it's my goal, as long as Directv will allow it, to have one stand alone receiver such that if the Genie dies you don't lose EVERYTHING.  So the real question that started my review of my own hardware is does Directv still offer a standalone that's going to be newer (refurb'd I would guess) than my 10 year old (or so) HR22??...  Like an HR24???  The HR22 is showing signs and I've told my wife to just decide when to give Directv a call and see if we can get a new one.  Though I was opposed, my wife talked me into getting the hardware insurance plan, whatever it's called???  We've had that for over a year now so maybe we can get an HR24 or whatever the standalone might be these days if there even still is one at all???  I see that Solid Signal sells (yes, rents) HR24, thus the reason I'm guessing those are still useable on the Directv network.  And if need be I would be willing to buy one as long as Directv would agree to activate it.  

I've even considered putting a UPS system on these receivers so they don't have to reboot so often and that is about an 8 minute (never will understand how even the simplest of computers should take 8 minutes to restart) process on the HR22, about half that on the HR44 Genie.  

Your thoughts on any/all the above???  thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 13
ACE - Expert

@diitto 

1. Yes, absolutely get a UPS to protect those devices!

2. An HR24 is the latest (last?) non-Genie DVR. It's a pretty reliable model and Solid Signal is a reputable source.  The HR24 is functionally equivalent to your HR22.

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

@diitto 

If power outages and/or fluctuations are common, I recommend using an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).

Last regular HDDVR made is the HR24. Same size hard drive as it was HR21 and older that had the smaller ones. Contact DirecTV and see if you have a free upgrade so you can replace the Client with an HDDVR. Though their stock has dwindled because of the MPEG-2 shutdown affecting people with really old boxes, and they seem to be pushing ahead for a server/client only setup. But thankfully you have the regular Genie so still have the option for HDDVRs. If needed you can get through an authorized retailer like SolidSignal for $199. Remember, regardless of cost or getting through DirecTV or not, it will come with a 24 month agreement either way.

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Scholar

Juniper, can you say more by what you mean by "thankfully you have the regular Genie so still have the option of HDDVRs" ???  What does "regular" mean??  There are only the HR44 (that we have) and HR54, right???  Or is there something new I haven't heard of???  Are there Genies that won't allow a regular HDDVR on the home setup???  We have three tv's and the HR44 and its client handle two of those and the HR22 handles the other one.  I've wanted it that way and would choose to keep it that way because if a Genie runs the entire show and it fails, you have NO tv's until you can get that replaced.  Which takes a few days.  And if you need a technician, oh my, it can take two weeks or more in the outlying area where we live.  I know they've been moving in the direction of all Genie but I'm opposed and would like to hold that off as long as possible, thus the reason for wanting a new HDDVR.  This HR22 is likely 10 or so years old.  It has been in a slow failing mode (takes forever to register a change of channel) for quite a long time.  We bought the protection plan (wife's choice, not mine) 18 months ago when we got the HR44 (to replace and HR34 that would no longer boot after one of our power failures).  I think we are entitled to a new box at 2 years, is that right???  But what if we can convince someone at Directv that this one is failing which it honestly is, though just not fail-ed completely???  Do you agree to 24 more months of service in a failure replacement scenario??  How about if you wait till the two year mark and ask for new hardware through being a member of the equipment protection program??  And if we get an HR24 through SolidSignal (they do show them at $199), to activate that, are you saying that that too signs us up for 24 more months???  And last, is Directv going to continue to be a satellite provider???  Or is ATT going to try to move everyone onto internet streaming services sooner rather than later???  Your thoughts, Juniper or anyone???  thanks...

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

@diitto wrote:

Juniper, can you say more by what you mean by "thankfully you have the regular Genie so still have the option of HDDVRs" ???  What does "regular" mean??  There are only the HR44 (that we have) and HR54, right???  Or is there something new I haven't heard of???  Are there Genies that won't allow a regular HDDVR on the home setup???  ....

The newest Genie is the HS17 Genie Server. Only Mini Clients are allowed on accounts with the Genie Server. 

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

@diitto 

Understand the confusion as there are multiple "Genie" models.

Genie: HR34, HR44, HR54

Genie Lite: H44 (with DVR upgrade kit, becomes essentially a HR44)

Genie-2: HS17

The takeaway is that unlike all prior models, the Genie-2 (HS17) only allows Clients on the account. This means that it is restricted to 7 tuners, a single shared hard drive, and that Clients cannot work without the main box or have full separate settings. So the Genie (or even Genie Lite) allows HDDVRs and HD non-DVRs instead of Clients allowing for more capacity if needed, and certainly a more flexible setup.

So Genie with HDDVRs (like your HR22) instead of Clients is the best setup for most people. The Genie-2 doesn't allow that which is why it is highly not recommended.

All boxes are covered by their ongoing warranty. Delivery of boxes would normally be $19.95, but since you have the protection plan the delivery charge is covered as well. A warranty replace does not come with a 24 month agreement, only optional upgrades of equipment have that. If a warranty (like for like) situation results in a agreement, then that would be an error.

Third party authorized retailers, such as Solid Signal, may only provide lease equipment. So that does come with a 24 month agreement once activated. However it is at the one-time lease cost (i.e. HDDVR $199) as only through DirecTV itself can you use your free upgrade.

Message 11 of 13
Scholar

Thanks guys,  I appreciate the detailed help.  When you mentioned the HS-17, I was reminded that I had heard of it before but had since forgotten completely about that.  So thanks for the help.  I will know to be wary of them talking us into an HS-17.  I looked up the Protection Plan (again, I was opposed to it but my wife wanted it, when we got the HR-44 about 18 months ago.  In the past I would not have cared about signing up for another 24 months but since the home entertainment environment is changing with all the streaming services and so forth, I'm thinking we might not want to be with Directv (or they might shut us down regarding satellite tv and convert to streaming) for another two years.  Food for thoughts.

The HR-22 is very old and it sometimes takes 20+ seconds for it to change channels.  But it does "work" so I'm not sure how I would go about convincing them we need a "warranty replacement".  Thoughts???

And it says I can upgrade equipment once every two years.  This HR-22 is getting so of hard to watch so what would happen if I asked them to go ahead and give me an HR-22 today???  I undestand it would add two years to our contract as it would if I paid Solid Signal to  $199 send me a (rented) new box.  But would Directv send me one if I just said, "hey I want one because this one switches channels remarkably slowly and takes 8 minutes to reboot when our power glitches"...  What would happen if I asked for that???  

My question above is pretty messy as I'm tired but see if anything you see above makes any sense and holler with any thoughts.  Again, I truly appreciate the help.   

Message 12 of 13
ACE - Expert

Protection plan is useful if you prefer a set known amount in your monthly budget. At $8.99 monthly, that is $107.88 every year whether you use it or not. Without it service calls are $99 and delivery of boxes $19.95, both with a automatic 90 day coverage in the rare case they need to do it again. For me, the plan would have been more than the one-time costs I have paid over the years so I have chosen not to have it. You can still qualify for free upgrades, and minimum of 24 months between them is the general guideline, just might have to pay for delivery on the order.

If a red button reset and freeing up space on the hard drive (deleting recordings) doesn't fix it from slowing down, then call DirecTV. Warranty replacement should get you an HR24, the last regular HDDVR model made (provided they have any HDDVRs in stock). Recordings do not transfer, so if possible catch up on what is important to you first. No new service agreement as is a warranty situation, not an upgrade. DirecTV's only recourse for a "dead" box is to replace it.

Solid signal would not provide you a "rented" box. There is no rental option. Even for those that have old owned boxes, they pay the same monthly cost. The $199 is the one-time lease cost if you don't have a free upgrade (or get from a 3rd party retailer).

Satellite TV cannot be converted to streaming. They are different technologies. Not everybody has good enough internet (if internet at all) to support streaming for their household. Though internet has improved from 1.5Mbps (before that 14.4Kbps in the dial-up days), my household's usage could not handle streaming-only on top of that.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support