Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Whole Home DVR Wiring Diagram

Contributor

Whole Home DVR Wiring Diagram

Walls are open now and I want to be CERTAIN that it is wired correctly for Whole Home DVR as we will be using foam insulation on several of the interior walls.  Right now, I have 1 coax and 2 cat-6 to each tv in the house - each is a direct run from the comm closet. 

Is this sufficient?  If not, can you tell me what else is needed to do this - andfuture-proof the house for nex gen DTV products?  Wire is cheap and walls are wide open.  Id rather run a dozen lines Ill never use than to miss something.

Thanks,

//digital

Message 1 of 5
Expert

Re: Whole Home DVR Wiring Diagram

Quote: Originally Posted by digitalje5u5 

andfuture-proof the house for nex gen DTV products?  Wire is cheap and walls are wide open.  Id rather run a dozen lines Ill never use than to miss something.

wow, this is attitide that I love.  you are on the rightt path.  make sure that you have power at the comm room to plug the power inserter.  and I am assuming that your switch/router will be at the comm room.  if not, then you would need a coax from the office (where the switch/router will be) to the comm room to connect the CinemaPlus Connection kit.  that is pretty much what you need.

now for the future proofing, I would run two coax to every TV location.  one for DTV and for for OTA.  if you are not planning on getting OTA then the second coax would be just in case a critter damge the current DTV cable.  aslo does your spouse like to move suff around'?  if so you  might want to run one or two coax to different walls in those bedrooms, where rearranging the furniture might cause a problem.

Message 2 of 5
Expert

And, here is how a Whole Home DVR system is wired. If, when you get installed, if you have the installer connect the DECA BB adapter (make sure your router is DHCP enabled) first and have it active as he activates each receiver, the whole system will auto configure. Many of the problem posts you read about here are because the router / Internet was connected after the fact.

Whole Home DVR HR24 install[21].jpg
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, what does OTA stand for?

//digital

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

OTA = Over the Air.  Reception of your local digital TV stations using an off-air antenna. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support