Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Whole Home DVR Equipment & Self Install?

Tutor

Whole Home DVR Equipment & Self Install?

May I have a list/accounting of the neccessary items needed to set up my Whole Home DVR system?  And may I also have some step-by-step instructions?  I have 2 HR21-100 receivers.

Message 1 of 13
Expert

Re: Whole Home DVR Equipment & Self Install?

why not let DirecTV do this for you, it will be shipper than you having you  source all the necessary equipment

Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert

What current type of dish do you have?  You'll need a SWM dish for Whole Home DVR service.  And each HR21 will need a DECA coax network adapter.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13
Tutor

After looking at my dish, I'm not sure it's SWM compatiple?  It's what I bleieve is a AU9-S... it is a Slim Line Dish with 4 outputs.  I do, however, have a SWM splitter seperate from the dish.  I also have a swm power pack, a, I think they call it, cinema connectin kit, and 2 DECA's.

Regarding having DirecTV come out... it's a long story.  I was eligible for an upgrade about 6-8 months ago.  I was provided with a new HD DVR and was told it would be Whole Home DVR ready and/or capable (and that the service, although I would have to pay $3 extra per month - which I've been paying now for a number of months even though it still not working).  At that point I could have had a technician come out and set it up for free, but I live out in the boonies and it's always a hastle.  Plus, I no just a little bit more about technology and electonics to be just beyond dangerous, so I thought I could set it up myself like most other things in my little technological world.  So, DirecTV sent out to me the items that they thought that I would need to complete the installation, but it hasn't worked out as I had hoped.  And now, so many months later, DirecTV won't send out a technician without charging $200.

Message 4 of 13
Expert

then you ail need the following

a SWM LNB.   depending where you locals comes from or whether you are subscribe to an ethnic package it could be an SL3s or SL5s

a 21v power inserter

a 4 way splitter

2 DECA home adapters

1 Cinema Connection Kit (wireless or wired)

WholeHomeDVRHR24install21[8].jpg
Message 5 of 13
Expert

then you ail need the following a SWM LNB. depending where you locals comes from or whether you are subscribe to an ethnic package it could be an SL3s or SL5s a 21v power inserter a 4 way splitter 2 DECA home adapters 1 Cinema Connection Kit (wireless or wired)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s230/sh/dbdd7608-b4ed-4d94-ac41-08a5cbf2e45f/ce5414f1a08615082861af0d69700f59

Message 6 of 13
Tutor

Thank You... I will have all the necessary items shortly.  Hopefully just one more question... your diagram calls for a 4 way splitter and 1 Cinema Connection Kit.  Won't I still have 2 coax feeds going to each DVR Receiver?  And where does the Cinema Connection Kit get connected, and what's its purpose (to be able to access on-line/streaming content?).

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

No. With SWM only one coax cable is connected to each DVR to feed both tuners.  

The CCK provides internet access for OnDemand, YouTube, Pandora, etc.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 13
Expert

you can use the second line of your DVR to connect the power supply.

Message 9 of 13
Tutor

Do I run a splitter from that one line to each of the coax inputs on the back of each receiver?  Or is only one coax input used - but still allowing for recording of two programs at the same time per receiver (meaning w/two receivers, I will still be able to record/DVR 4 programs at the same time)?

Message 10 of 13
Expert

one line will feed both tuners internally. no need for splitters.

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

Cool... thank you! : )

Message 12 of 13
Expert

You are welcome from both of us

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support