Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What to do when DTV says no signal shut off was activated?

Highlighted
Contributor

What to do when DTV says no signal shut off was activated?

What else can I try when my DVR doesn't connect to the tv and I'm getting a "no signal" message on the tv (using HDMI connection)? I've checked all cord connections to both the DVR and tv to make sure they're secure; changed the tv input to other options (which work, such as the FireTV, also connected through HDMI); reset the DVR; called DirecTV to have them troubleshoot via phone and reset signal; and finally received a new DVR receiver. What am I missing???

Message 1 of 28
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Asaund7
‎04-29-2017 6:42 AM

Re: What to do when TV shows "no signal"?

@Asaund7 - You can tell if the TV or DTV device is generating the message?

If DTV - problem upstream.

If TV -

TV could be on wrong input. Navigate menu or change connection to correct input.

If on correct input, DTV is not seeing HDCP  signal from TV, TUrn on TV first or make sure HDMI cable is not too long. TRy different inputs on TV.

If all fail get a component cable to replace the HDMI cable - https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Component-Dongle-Genie-Clients/dp/B006R9O2PC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Tutor

Alot of times it happens on VIZIO Tv's but does happen on a few others every now and then. As A Tech most of the time when we go to service calls for this issue we give the customer a few options. First option is to change the input to a 10 pin component cable,"GREEN,BLUE, RED & WHITE and RED for audio. Or they can change the input on the original remote that came with TV or hold down the enter button on Genie remote til it starts changing the input on t.v.. After changing the input to something different that is showing the device that is on that input, the DIRECTV input will finely start showing programming again. One other thing thatbi have seen work is if your TV is a smart tv, do the software download for TV and make sure you have the most updated software install on TV
Message 3 of 28
Contributor

This exact issue happened with our DTV service several days ago. We have 4 HD receivers, hooked up to 4 different televisions. Out of the blue, our LG 4K "smart TV" was no longer receiving a signal. The other 3 TVs/recievers were working perfectly. After quite a bit of troubleshooting both from DTV and ourselves, including resetting the receiver, resending the signal, swapping the receivers from one of the other TVs to the LG TV, downloading updated "smart software" from LG, replacing our old outdated receiver with a new one - all did not work. Finally we tried a new HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, and BINGO! So in our case, the HDMI cable that was working perfectly fine decided to stop working for no apparent reason.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

Thank you! I was trying to fix my parents tv after my niece had switched to the computer and back. After reading your post my mom told me that she had received the no signal reading a few times but it always eventually went away! 

You saved me a ton of time! Woohoo!

Message 5 of 28
ACE - Expert

Yep "No Signal" most commonly is TV being on wrong input, but going in and out usually meant a lose or bad HDMI cord. Now with the advancement of technology, "Smart" TVs are designed to be connected to internet for software/firmware updates to properly run and stay compliant with HDCP so adds another possibility whenever there is a "No Signal" error either constant or intermittent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 28
Contributor

I keep having the NO SIGNAL happen to me.  I've had the same set-up for over a year, with 0 problems.  Genie - Sony Smart 4K TV - Sony Soundbar (ARC).  I lost signal several times.  Replaced the HDMI cables....did not fix it.  Tried resetting using the red button....did not fix it.  Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in after 15 seconds.....did not fix it.

At one point through all of this, the Genie would not even turn on by pressing the Power button on the front of the Genie.  I then took the output HDMI from the Genie that is plugged into the soundbar, and plugged it into the TV on HDMI 1.  At that point, the Genie light turned on blue and started resetting itself and then I had signal.  After I had signal I then moved the Genie HDMI output back into the soundbar, and then connected the HDMI from the soundbar into HDMI 4 (ARC) on my TV.......still working.  Then today, I tried using my DirecTV and all was well in the morning.  Just tried it again, and again NO SIGNAL.  What is going on here?  Is it a TV HDMI input problem, HDMI cable problem, Soundbar problem, or DirecTV Genie Problem?

Message 7 of 28
ACE - Expert

What model is that Genie?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 28
Contributor

The model # is HR44-500.

Message 9 of 28
Mentor

I constantly have this problem.  Nothing works.  Direct TV support is of no help.  They want me to pay to have a technician come out.  This is their equipment, not mine.  When I requested a new receiver box, I was told I had to pay for shipping and activation fee......They lock me into a two year contract but they don't stand behind their service.  Frustrated to say the least.  I would never recommend Direct TV to anyone because of my issues.

Message 10 of 28
Contributor

PLEASE PROVIDE A DIAGRAM AS TO HOW THE WIRES SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO TV

Message 11 of 28
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎12-05-2019 1:02 AM

@lindabee1234

What model DirecTV box?

Check a different HDMI input and/or HDMI input on the TV.

If a smart TV check to see if it has the latest update from the TV maker.

If your TV has any HDMI control, set it to off.

Make sure the DirecTV box is not connected into a "smart" power strip.

Red button reset the DirecTV.

Replacement boxes do not have an activation fee. Just shipping and handling of $19.95 (plus tax), or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan. This is the process since going to their lease model about 15 years ago.

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 28
Contributor

Exact same problem here, exact same experience with customer service being zero help. And its even worse, at&t sent me to directv, no problem. But then Directv said because my accounts are combined at&t had to be the one to help me. This is no exaggeration, I spent over 45 minutes on one call being shifted from one to the other 7 times. And that was the 4th call. To say I'm ready to eat the early term fee and be rid of it is an understatement. Ive only had it since November and have already paid $550 to them for monthly services and installation fees in that short time. So as I type this, Im going into hour number 3 of no tv at all. And everyone pretty well gave up, as I did. So heres what happened to start this mess, maybe someone can help..........

I rearranged the placing of the components and must have inadvertently caused a power loss. Once everything was in place the tv shows no signal and the other tvs message says they cant connect to the main receiver. 

I unplugged for 15 seconds. 

I reset the receivers and even the modem. Also did the reset from the website.

I checked all inputs on the tv, as well as tried 3 different ones.

I reprogrammed the remote. 

Still nothing........

Message 13 of 28
Contributor

update.........the other TVs are now working. But the main tv still isnt. So as I suspected its definitely between the receiver and that tv. Sat signal is obviously fine. 

Message 14 of 28
Mentor

How do I fix this problem?   I am getting very frustrated with this issue...It is one thing to have to reset EVERY TIME I turn on the TV -- there HAS to be a way to FIX THIS PROBLEM..............................................Apparently Direct TV doesn't think so.

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support