Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What is the Regional Sports Fee?

Highlighted
Contributor

What is the Regional Sports Fee?

I live North of Dallas, TX and my "Regional Sports Fee" went up this month and I don't even know what it is for.  Can someone please explain?

Message 1 of 18
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-04-2016 1:35 PM

Re: What is the Regional Sports Fee?

The Regional Sports Fee is a result of higher costs due to contractual obligations requiring Directv to offer multiple sports networks in select ZIP codes, or in rare instances, a single RSN that carries games from 4 or more teams. These local RSN(s) are included in most base packages, but there are some packages that do not include RSNs and are not subject to a Regional Sports Fee like their Entertainment package, or Select package..

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 18
Scholar

What I don't understand is why I have to pay a regional sports fee if I am also paying for the Sports Pack, since the Sports Pack includes the regional sports networks.  Aren't I then paying twice? 

Message 3 of 18
Scholar

Why isn't the RSF INCLUDED in the Negioated SPORTS Price per SPORTS Channel.

WHY a separate Fee ??  

Then Put ALL Regional Sports Channels in a "SEPARATE" Regional Sports Package .

That way,  ONLY People who watch Sports would get NAILED for ANY Sports Charges.

Message 4 of 18
Tutor

And why do people that don't give a crap have to pay for it? We don't care about sports. We don't watch them. And sure as helicopters don't want to pay for them.

Message 5 of 18
ACE - Expert

If you don't want them then you have to change your package to one that doesn't have them. All providers have them because the teams want them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

Packages Choice or above are subject to the fee as they contain the RSNs for your address, if you live in a market that has RSNs. The exception is their brand new package Preferred Xtra, the difference from Xtra is that it adds in a few more channels from the Ultimate package while also removing all sports only channels except for ESPN and ESPN2. Since that includes removing any RSNs, the Preferred Xtra package is not subject to the RSN fee. Preferred Xtra is also a little cheaper than Xtra. For those reasons I chose that package as my household does not watch sports.

So Family, Select, Entertainment, and Preferred Xtra are the only packages that do not have the RSN fee as they don't have RSNs in their channel lineup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18
Tutor

I don't see Preferred Xtra in their current package lineup.

Message 8 of 18
ACE - Expert

Preferred Xtra came out about a year or so ago, but for whatever reason has not been listed on the website. I suspect that similar to the Family package, it is not listed next to the the regular listing of packages because it is for a smaller market of customers. Though you can find the Family lineup listed in a differnet section on the website, Preferred Xtra has no listing there that I can find besides of course it being on my account. You will need to call Directv 1-800-531-5000 about going to that package.

Message 9 of 18
Contributor

called about the sport fee and operator told me it was connected to my nfl package , so asked to cancel nfl package and was told she could not do it.. had to call a completely different number to deal with nfl things... callled them , dropped nfl ..was told it was my package ... conclusion== direct tv trying to force me out of grandfathered total choice package to look for another provider, 

Message 10 of 18
ACE - Expert

The Regional Sports Networks (RSN) and the related fee, are not affected by the NFL Sunday Ticket, or any of the other seasonal sports subscriptions. It does not matter if you are in a grandfathered package or not. Other tv providers are subject to the RSN fee as well. Welcome to how much our country values sports.

The only packages that have RSNs, and as such subject to the fee, are Choice (or close in level if you have a grandfathered package like Total Choice) and above except Preferred Xtra. So packages below the Choice level (Family, Select, and Entertainment) do not have RSNs so no RSN fee.

Years ago the RSN fee was in the cost of the package. With the rising costs and different regions charging so differently from each other, Directv had to itemize it on your bill based on address instead of a flat rate accross the board. Some areas have around $2 or $3 for it, some places like New York have over $7, and some rare areas with no RSN of their own have none. So Directv cannot get rid of the fee, just like they cannot affect the tax that shows on your bill.

So if you are in a package in the range of Choice to Ultimate, but do not watch any sports channels (or maybe just ESPN and ESPN2) I personally reccomend calling Directv and asking about the Preferred Xtra package. It is definately cheaper than Xtra and Ultimate. And with no RSN fee it could be very comparable in price to what Choice (or grandfathered Total Choice) is with the RSN fee.

A note for those it may matter to. Prefrred Xtra does not have the Encore channels that Ultimate does, but there is now an Encore only pack seperate from the Starz pack they normally are in. So Preferred Xtra with Encore is still cheaper than Ultimate with the RSN fee and the only channel difference I am aware of (other than sports removed) is it doesn't have Fusion.

Message 11 of 18
Contributor

If I switch to the Select package, will I still get espn or fox sports channel (219) included in the Sports pkg. charge each month?

Message 12 of 18
Contributor

What sports channels are included in the sports pkg. fee, if I am on the Select pkg?

Message 13 of 18
Contributor

I didn't get an answer to my question..

Message 14 of 18
ACE - Expert

@atchison

This is a public customer to customer forum. Responses are not guaranteed within any certain amount of time.

The Select package has no sport channels at all.

The Regional Sport Network (RSN) fee is only charged on packages that have access to the RSNs for where you live. (Choice and above, except Preferred Xtra). The RSN fee is also based on where you live anywhere from close to $1 to over $7.

The Sports Pack ($13.99 if you have no other premium pack) is an add on that includes over 35 RSN and specialty sport networks. The pack itself doesn't charge the RSN fee as it covers all the RSNs Directv has. It does NOT get you out of market professional sports. It is more for events across the country, college sports, or if you are in a package lower than Choice a cheaper way to get your local RSNs without upgrading to Choice.

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support