Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrading to a Genie

Upgrading to a Genie

Thanks I currently have three HD DVR’s and an SD receiver. I think in October 2019 I will no longer be able to use my SD receiver because of changes coming to Directv, so I want to upgrade that SD receiver. I have the protection plan through Directv and am due for an upgrade, and I have also received an email from directv that I can upgrade for free due to this necessary change coming in October. 

From what I have read, I want to keep my existing 3 HD DVR’s and replace the SD with a Genie. I don’t want the Genie 2 HS-17 because it won’t communicate with my other dvr’s.  Am I able to do this? I believe I need to upgrade to an LNB SWM 13, since I only have SWM 8 now.  Is that something directv would be able to do free of charge?

I am also wondering with this setup, can my current dvr’s share their playlist with each other still and with the genie? I’m pretty sure the genie will share its playlist with the hd dvr’s, correct?

In order to keep having On Demand on all machines, do I keep my DECA?  Currently it is in my sun room with one of the HR24’s, not the bedrooms, so is location important for placement of this deca and the new genie. 

Hopefully later this year, we will upgrade our tv, but right now we don’t have 4K, so should I be needing the HR44 and then ask for HR54 when the time comes to try to get 4K tv from directv?

Thanks for any assistance.  

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Professor

Re: Upgrading to a Genie

@jessicajlin wrote:

Thanks I currently have three HD DVR’s and an SD receiver. I think in October 2019 I will no longer be able to use my SD receiver because of changes coming to Directv, so I want to upgrade that SD receiver. I have the protection plan through Directv and am due for an upgrade, and I have also received an email from directv that I can upgrade for free due to this necessary change coming in October. 

From what I have read, I want to keep my existing 3 HD DVR’s and replace the SD with a Genie. I don’t want the Genie 2 HS-17 because it won’t communicate with my other dvr’s.  Am I able to do this? I believe I need to upgrade to an LNB SWM 13, since I only have SWM 8 now.  Is that something directv would be able to do free of charge?

I am also wondering with this setup, can my current dvr’s share their playlist with each other still and with the genie? I’m pretty sure the genie will share its playlist with the hd dvr’s, correct?

In order to keep having On Demand on all machines, do I keep my DECA?  Currently it is in my sun room with one of the HR24’s, not the bedrooms, so is location important for placement of this deca and the new genie. 

Hopefully later this year, we will upgrade our tv, but right now we don’t have 4K, so should I be needing the HR44 and then ask for HR54 when the time comes to try to get 4K tv from directv?

Thanks for any assistance.  

The only way to Keep your HDDVR's is to Get a HR-54 Call -1800-531-5000 and request a 4K Service - State you only need one 4K location -And you want to keep your HDDVR's

Then when you do get a 4K tv You will be ready to go all -one stop shopping.  Whole home is included with Genie so the deca will not be an issue. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert

If you have 3 HDDVRs and 1 SD box (D12, D11, etc.) then upgrade is simple. Upgrade the SD box to a Genie which would get you either the HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. The Genie is a 5 tuner HDDVR with a 1TB hard drive, compared to a regular HDDVR which is 2 tuners and has 500GB (less if HR21 or older), so suggested it ends up on whichever TV gets used the most. You should already have $10 HD and $10 DVR, so this upgrade would only add $3 for Whole Home DVR if you don't already have it. Each box may see the recordings of the others.

If your current setup is wired to your router for On Demand you will be fine. If you were using a wireless cinema connection kit (CCK), then you would need that disconnected as the recent Genie models have that built-in and don't want any conflicts.

You are correct about avoiding the Genie-2 (HS17) as it forbids HDDVRs which is a downgrade to your setup resulting in less tuners, individual processing, and the loss of everything already recorded.

Based on your setup it is not recommended to get a 4K upgrade, unless you were adding another TV. Though the HR54 is required for a 4K setup, it does not output 4K itself (requirements updated when too far into production), so only goes through a Client connection. So a 4K upgrade with only your existing TVs would in addition to the SD box replace one of your current HDDVRs. As there is no 4K HDDVR itself, and only a couple channels in 4K, not really worth it at this time. But here are the current requirements for reference.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 Frames Per Second (FPS)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

There is no monthly 4K charge itself.

At this time there are only a couple 4K channels (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for all this information.

I do already have whole home service so that’s good that my bill won’t be higher.

If I’m counting correctly, I’ll have 11 tuners. Will I be able to get a higher number capable SWM from directv to accommodate? My current one can only handle 8.

I do have a wireless cinema connection kit. Would I still need it or something else to be able to still have on demand on my non-genie dvr’s? It sounds like the genie will have its own capability, but what about my existing hd dvr’s?

I actually do have another TV that I was contemplating getting a mini for. It currently has an old TiVo attached to an antenna for local channels only, but the TiVo is dying. It could serve as the non-4K tv that the genie hr54 could be used with so that the eventual replacement 4K main tv would have the mini. Since I don’t need 4K yet, and it sounds like it’s not so great anyway, would I be able to have the mini installed on my extra TiVo-connected tv, instead of my main tv, and have an hr54 installed onto my main tv for now? Then if I get my 4K tv, can I then swap the two locations easily?

Thanks again. This has been very helpful.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jessicajlin
‎08-25-2019 10:05 AM

With Whole Home DVR the Genie's connection for On Demand serves all the boxes. Wired is preferred over wireless of course. The only concern is an external wireless CCK usually conflicts with the Genie's built-in one. Also the external only supports the traditional 2.4Ghz band, but the built-in ones also support the 5Ghz as well, if your router has it of course.

Tech would on site update your connections to support the new tuners. The new LNB setup supports 13 tuners. My personal setup was upgraded from a SWM-8 to a SWM-16 as I have a Genie and 2 HDDVRs so had to bump up for the 9 total tuners. Your 11 tuners will be fine without needing a 2nd dish as the tech will update accordingly.

If you are considering adding one more TV, then best to do with the Genie upgrade. Normally going to your 1st Genie allows including so many Clients free, as opposed to doing a later upgrade for a Mini which is $99 before your next free upgrade. Just make sure they are not replacing any existing HDDVRs as HR20 thru HR24 (and special R22) work with the Genie. Naturally adding one more TV will add $7 to your monthly bill.

Key thing is you cannot get 4K equipment without already having a 4K TV. There is only 1 model that outputs 4K, and of course tech needs to make sure it works upon installing, so they do not allow the C61K without the compatible 4K TV being there in the first place. And the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) is only guaranteed with a 4K upgrade, otherwise you might get a HR44 depending on stock. The support of the 4K Client is the only perk of the HR54 over the HR44.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support