Upgrade?

Scholar

Upgrade?

Ok, so, I'm buying my wife for Christmas, a new HDTV, on Black Friday. What I know is that I, qualify, for a free upgrade to a HD DVR, from the SD DVR, which we have now, on a Sony, non- HDTV.  So, how long can I have the new receiver, before activating it? I, want it all to be a big surprise, to say the least. :smileycool:

Message 1 of 27
Employee

Re: Upgrade?

According to DirecTV ToS, you have 30 from date of 'purchase" until activation before you get charge an non-activation fee.

But my question is , Who is installing this? Do you have an HD dish already?

DirecTV would NOT send a receiver to be installed later by a tech.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 27
Scholar

peds48, we have our system already, and has been setup for years. I'm just trading out, our R15/500, for a free upgrade to another HD DVR, and a new Samsung 40" 1080p HDTV. Otherwise, our system is flawless. Oh, and we'll then be adding Whole Home as well. Can't ask for better equipment and service, as we've had for about 20 years, now. :smileycool:

Message 3 of 27
Professor

The problem you will run into is that you need a new/different dish for HD. It involves more than just replacing the DVR itself.  As to whole home, that will work between HD equipment, but the R15 will not work with whole-home.

How many receivers/DVRs do you have now, and what models? If you have anything that is HD, then you would have the correct dish, but if not it is almost certain that you don't have the correct dish. (Your dish needs to say "Slimline" across the face of the dish.)

Message 4 of 27
Expert

Why not upgrade the Directv system now (just taking advantage of the free offer Honey) then deliver the TV at the appropriate time?

Message 5 of 27
Scholar

Maybe, I should have stated, but, I was ONLY looking for how long I could have the HD DVR before activating, but, I've had HD DVR, and HD Dish, for some time now, so, as I said, I'm only switching out the SD DVR, with an upgraded HD DVR. Sorry about the confusion. :smileycool:

Message 6 of 27
Scholar

dcd, good idea, but I need her to clear out the old SD DVR, then, we can hook up the upgrade, HD DVR. But, how do I say she needs to do this because.....? But, good idea. :smileycool:

Message 7 of 27
Professor

Tell her you got an error code that the hard drive might be failing, and it would be a good idea if she started watching as much as possible so she doesn't lose anything. Once it fails you'll arrange for a replacement.

Message 8 of 27
Professor

And I think you've got 30 days from when you get a new DVR or receiver to activate it.

Message 9 of 27
Scholar

So, today, not only was the new HDTV, which is a Samsung 40" LED Smart TV Model: UN40EH5300FXZA, was delivered, but, then I ordered the new replacement, HD DVR, so, now, just to wait for that to be delivered. My wife is going to be so surprised, beyond belief, for Christmas. Then, after that just activate, and setup the "Whole Home", for our system. Just a great day all around. :smileycool:

Message 10 of 27
Employee

Awesome.  keep us posted Smiley Happy

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 27
Scholar

If you had read, that I've had HD now for over 10 years, which I've had all that time, an HD Dish, as well. But, thanks anyways. :smileycool:

Message 12 of 27
Administrator

Make sure they send you two bbc filters unless its an hr23

Message 13 of 27
Administrator

I also noticed your intrest in whole home you need a swim system to have

Whole home service.I bring this up because of the r15 witch is not swim

Compatable so ptobbaly gonna need

A tech out there to swap lnb and multiswitch

Message 14 of 27
Scholar

Everything I have and with the new components, will work with "Whole Home" system. No need for a tech to come out, when one is not needed. I always do my research before continuing on, with any project. With guys like, peds48, dcd, and Litzdog, I know I'm in good hands.:smileycool:

Message 15 of 27
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support