Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Upgrade

Contributor

Upgrade

I purchased a 4k tv and would like to update to the genie 4k system and was told I had to wait till my contract renewed in march till I can upgrade or I would pay over $300 for the upgrade..Is there anyway around this or I might consider canceling Directv and going with someone else..
Message 1 of 9
Scholar

Unless you rent a lot of movies, there isn't a whole lot of 4k programming available yet from any provider.  DTV can give you some of the major sporting events in 4k, but things like your local news, or any other regular programming, are quite a ways away from being broadcast in 4k. 

Message 2 of 9
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Chris32
‎09-01-2016 8:04 PM

The Genie system does need to be upgraded, which means not just the mini, but the main Genie box as well.  The Genie is approximately $299 and the Genie mini is $99.  As for free/reduced cost on those boxes, it's dependant on how long you've been a customer, if you've paid your bills on time, what package you have, and several other factors.  Right now Directv is the only provider that has live 4K programming, why not just wait a bit and see if you can get that equipment at no or reduced cost?  Not to mention they may waive the installation for you. Demanding something or else you'll go away isn't going to get you far.  When you call in, just be pleasant, you'll be amazed on how far agents will go to get you want you need.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 9
ACE - Expert

Do you have either of the earlier Genies?

If you have the 1st or 2nd Genie (HR34 or HR44) and do a 4K upgrade they would have to swap your Genie with the HR54 model which I have heard is done complimentary because that is just Genie to Genie and the origional 4K ppvs worked with the earlier Genies until the official launch of 4K where whatever updates weren't best on the earlier models, so any costs you would have would be for the 4K Mini Genie Client itself which is usually $99 unless you have an additional promotion and the $49.95 install unless you have their equipment protection plan. And the client is what would be connected to the 4K tv, main Genie would be on a non 4K tv, just how the 4K works for now.

Keep in mind the new 4K channels are only available in the Ultimate or Premier package.

Also though other providers have updated equipment to connect to a 4K tv, they do not have full 4K programming as Directv is the pioneer on this as far as live tv goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Contributor

Ya for now all I have is the hr24, No genie setup..I'm guessing I'll have to get another box as well as upgrade my existing cause they don't doo a genie unless you have 2 rooms is what I'm told..I've been a customer for about 15 months now..
Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

Once you complete the 2 yr contract there is no renewal unless you upgrade/get new equipment.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 9
Expert

@Chris32 you should be able to upgrade to a Genie for a single room without any issues, however getting 4K requires two boxes at this time, the HR54 plus the C61K. I think that is where you are confused.

Message 7 of 9
Contributor

Your absolutely right you need 2 boxes for the 4k upgrade..They were able to upgrade me the 2 boxes for $215 instead of the original $400..Lil bit better..
Message 8 of 9
Expert

@Chris32 awesome!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support