Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrade to wireless genie

Highlighted
Contributor

Upgrade to wireless genie

Can I setup an appointment online to have my Directv equipment upgraded? 

Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎05-09-2018 10:48 AM

Re: Upgrade to wireless genie

No, you need to make a call to them for that matter.

Message 2 of 11

reminder - free upgrade sets you into a new 2 yr contract.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

There is no wireless Genie only wireless minis, The Genie can connect to your internet using WiFi.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

No wireless Genie, but wireless Mini Genie Client. Client has no tuners of its own, just an extension of the main Genie. A HDDVR will net you 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and no difference in monthly cost. If you have the Genie-2 (HS17), unfortunately you don't have other options as anything but Clients are forbidden.

Equipment upgrade will come with 2yr service agreement, regardless if free or one-time lease cost upgrade.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11

i see my question wasn't very clean.

looking for the documentation of the connections of a Genie that supports a wireless mini Genie (ie. pics in that Genie's manual)... and yes, not the Genie2 that does not connect to the TV.

I was told a a wireless mini so that i would not need to have cables run to the different rooms in the house to connect it to the main Genie.

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

The regular Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54) use a wireless video bridge (WVB), which is a separate accessory so not listed in the Genie manual. DirecTV would install this wired in to the coax, similar to a traditional box, from there it is wireless to any wireless Mini Genie Clients you have. Personally I wouldn't suggest it for one Client as you would still have another box wired, but for 2 or 3 that would be fine.

The 3 Genie models do not have the same exact connections. If you don't already have a Genie, you would get either the HR44 or HR54 depending what is next in stock. The HR34 was discontinued a couple years ago.

Message 7 of 11

thanks.I was told by last Nov by the DirecTv gentleman replacing my satellite that for my situation, the Genie that does not require the bridge would be the one for me to get. I don't recall the model of the main Genie that will connect wirelessly directly to miniGenies.today i have connections our of my older receiver to 2 different directions.... so i need to verify the back connections on the Genie the DirecTv guy was referencing.
Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert

@merlin88merlin wrote:
thanks.I was told by last Nov by the DirecTv gentleman replacing my satellite that for my situation, the Genie that does not require the bridge would be the one for me to get. I don't recall the model of the main Genie that will connect wirelessly directly to miniGenies.today i have connections our of my older receiver to 2 different directions.... so i need to verify the back connections on the Genie the DirecTv guy was referencing.

That would be the HS17 Genie Server (tower). Don't get it.  Not ready for prime time.  

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

The HS17 has the WVB built in.

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

The Genie-2 (HS17) is the only one with the WVB built in. However this is not a good system. It forbids other boxes (HDDVRs and basic receivers), being a Client only system so hard caps on tuners plus would require replacing everything that is not a Client, in addition to the post launch issues still being worked out.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support