Trouble with Internet: Video On Demand Feature with Genie

Contributor

Trouble with Internet: Video On Demand Feature with Genie

Hello,

I had my DIRECTV service installed sometime in early June. During the first two weeks or so since installation, I was able to use the VOD feature without any issue. I could go to whatever movie or show, press watch now, and it would download/stream without virtually any lag time. Obviously there were no problems with the internet during that time. As far as I know, the technician connected the receiver to the internet directly using what is listed as a "Connected Home Adapter" and an ethernet cable that ran from the adapter directly to an ethernet port on my router.

Without making any change to the setup and the system, as far as I know, I started having trouble with the VOD feature about two weeks ago. Essentially, anytime I try to use the feature, the program might play a small portion (or perhaps none at all) and then stop with the following message:

"There was a problem connecting to the internet. Please test your connection."

There are two options from this prompt: 1. Test Connection 2. Continue. Please Fix Later

Option 2 does nothing. Using Option 1, I've done the following:

Test connection >> Run System Test >> Running System Test >> 1 Test Failed, Diagnostic Code: 72-119, 1. Cannot Detect Phone Dial tone ...

So, the "System Test" identifies nothing wrong with the internet. Moreover, if I do the following:

Network Setup >> Repeat Network Setup >> "Your Receiver is connected to DIRECTV via the Internet, Result Code: 88-883"

Evidently, the Genie thinks it is, in fact, connected to the internet. I have several other devices (laptops, cell phones, etc.) that also have no issue with the internet. Furthermore, if I put a movie in my queue list to download, it does sometimes detail progress, just at a ridiculously slow rate. More often than not, however, these queued downloads fail.

I've spoken to tech support two times.Yesterday was  the first time. We tried "Restore Defaults" and then to "Repeat Network Setup" by instead connecting wirelessly. Tech support figured that perhaps, since I have a newer version of the Genie, its attempts to connect wireless were somehow conflicting with the ethernet connection. The wireless connection was successful, but the problem still persisted.

Next, we tried to reset the receiver and then repeat the network setup. In order to test this, I had to wait several hours for all of the VOD content to actually download to the receiver, as I was cautioned would happen when I first started my service. Today, I found that the problem still persisted.

Today, I contacted Tech Support again. We basically just attempted to go the "Repeat Network Setup" route again, being already informed that I was connected to the internet despite the message showing that there was a problem connecting to the internet. I tried to reset defaults and connect again, but no success.

I have also tried to reset the router and repeat the process outlined above (save for actually resetting the receiver, since that will cost me several hours again to test the VOD feature.

I'd like to emphasize three points with respect to the problem. First, it worked fine for several weeks before the issue cropped up. My internet connection to all my other devices has been perfectly fine during both the time when the VOD feature worked and also while it hasn't. Last, the Genie does say that I am connected to the internet, yet it has this problem. The previous tech support advised me that I should instead contact my ISP. Given that they are not familiar with DIRECTV's equipment, I'm skeptical that they would be able to solve this problem better than DIRECTV.

Anyway, at this point, I'm pretty much willing to try anything, and I would appreciate the help.

Equipment Details:

1. Receiver - HR44/500 Genie Model

2. Router/Modem - Motorola NVG510 from ATT/U-verse (4 ethernet ports)

2. Also available: Connected Home Adapter

Thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 40
Employee

Re: Trouble with Internet: Video On Demand Feature with Genie

interesting, you are like the 3rd person today having issues with the same gateway

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 40
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem. Using a hard-wired connection to a CenturyLink provided Actiontec C1000A modem with a 40Mb download connection. Keep us informed if you get this resolved.

Message 3 of 40
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  Exact, except I do not have the genie.  I have the HD DVR receiver.  So, genie is not the issue.  Has anyone resolved this?

Message 4 of 40
Employee

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 40
Contributor

I too am experiencing this issue.  The Genie confirms I am connected to the internet, yet VOD services do not work.  Has anybody found the cause of this problem, or a solution?

Message 6 of 40
Contributor

DItto, is there anyone who knows what's happening?

Message 7 of 40
Contributor

I have had this same issue the past two days.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Message 8 of 40
Expert

I have a question for all of you.  Is your problem with VOD that the "Watch Now" option is unavailable and you're asked to record the program instead?  If that be the case with any of you, I'd urge you to start a fresh thread and report that rather than the VOD will not work at all.  With so many "me too" posts with no technical details it's impossible to try to troubleshoot with any of you.

Message 9 of 40
Contributor

Specifically I cannot watch VOD programs regardless if I try 'watch it now', or I record it to watch later.  I get an error message saying it cannot access the content, but when I double check my network connection the genie says I am connected.  Also along those same lines, the genie seems to periodically disconnect from my network for no rhyme or reason - even when my laptop, smart tv, and ipad are all connected with no problems.  This is quite annoying if I want to watch tv in the bedroom, because if the main genie is not connected to the network, that means all my satellite units won't work.  So now I have to get out of bed, go across the house, power up the main system, repeat the network connection process, then return to my bedroom.  I can see this as possibly being a wireless router problem, but it doesn't make sense regarding the VOD problems as I have been connected when the playback issues arise.

Message 10 of 40
Employee

Need more info ....

What model HD DVR and HD Receivers do you have?  Look for labels on rear panel or behind front panel access card door.

How are your HD DVRs/Receivers networked together?

Who installed your WHDVR equipment? When?

Have you always had this problem?

If you go to the source (server) DVR, can you play that show fine there?

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 40
Contributor

My main genie is a model HR44-500, and the bedroom satellite receiver is a C41-700.  The main receiver is connected, via wireless home network, to a Linksys WRT160N-V2 wireless router.  The router is plugged into a Motorolla SurfBoard SB5101U cable modem. I personally did the install as the genie receivers were mailed out to me as part of an upgrade, but I was on the phone with tech support and encountered no problems during initial set-up.

This morning the main receiver was, yet again, not connected to the network when I tried to access VOD content to get an error code for you even though it was connected to the network just fine last night.  I grabbed my iPad & it was connected to the same network despite the genie being offline.  I went through the network set-up yet again, but this time it wouldn't even connect to my wireless network.  I got this error message: Problem connecting to network, Result Code 86-3.  I tried the network set up twice more, and on the 3rd time it actually connected.  And crazy enough this time I was even able to access VOD.  But I bet you $100 in 24 hours or less it will disconnect again, or it won't let me access any VOD.

Any thoughts, or notice anything amiss?

Message 12 of 40
Employee

most of the time this has to do with the lease time on your on your router.  Setting static IP address may help, or better yet, running an Ethernet cable to the Genie will fix this for sure

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 40
Tutor

Mike (mwebb), brilliant description - word for word of my experience as well - with the exception of equipment. Any luck?

I have a Motorola SBG6580 wireless and Blast (upgraded) internet service from Comcast. Household has 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, a wireless printer, and 2 laptops that all work just fine - but the Genie simply will not maintain a connection. I have also been in contact two times with 'tech support', as cordial as they are I have the feeling that they are simply reading from a card.

I have performed all steps, multiple times, and can get an initial connection without problem. A few minutes later (and let's say 5% of a VOD program downloaded) the downloading stops and hitting the :smileyminus: dash button will let me know that the internet is not detected.

I have verified that all of my connected devices are not duplicating IP addresses. Nothing seems to be helping. Please follow up to let me know if you have any resolution, and I will do the same.

Message 14 of 40
Tutor

Any luck resolving? I have the identical issue, Genie will not maintain wireless connection for VOD content.

Message 15 of 40
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support