Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

Contributor

Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

We are getting new dvr for our system.  I was told we could transfer our recorded programs to flash drive and then transfer to new dvr.  How do I do this and what kind of flash drive do I need?

Message 1 of 28

Re: Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

I thought that it wasn't possible to transfer programs from the DirecTv DVR, because they are encrypted?

Message 16 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

That's correct, you can't transfer them

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 28
ACE - Expert

@Deenterry0822 You’re right, it’s not possible, as has been stated multiple times on this thread. What did you see to question that?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 28

Previous comment said: "You'll want to view any valuable recordings before replacing your old DVR.  Or copy them the "old fashioned" way to a VCR, DVD Recorder, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software, and then one dated 2/2018 mentioned the audio video capture, as well.  So, that confused me.

Message 19 of 28
ACE - Expert

Yes you can copy programs in SD to a computer or DVD/VHS recorder in real time but you can't transfer anything from the hard drive to another hard drive/thumb drive.

Message 20 of 28
Contributor

Except for the last 2 comments, You guys are a bunch of "can't do" negative people... What you "can't do" is say something can't be done when there's almost always a way to do something when it comes to electronics... It's just a matter of asking yourself the magic question... "How".

There's always a way.... it's just that some ways are easier and some ways are harder.. The only thing you "can't" do, is transfer directly....

If you can stream it on your computer.... you can record it with screen capture software. 

Next time if you want to do it the easy way, use your own DVR, or DVD recorder.... not DirecTVs DVR.... because as you can see, it's virtually useless...

Message 21 of 28
ACE - Expert

The programs are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them so they will not play on any other DVR.

There is no app to stream your HD DVR content to a laptop/computer.

Message 22 of 28
ACE - Expert

Programs are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them. Per DirecTV's agreements with the networks, the equipment is designed and programmed to prevent transferring/copying of recordings.

Those that want to find a convolved workaround on this are breaking the rules of DirecTV's service. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean it is allowed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 23 of 28
Contributor

Do you know if copying files from DirectTV to a DVD is still possible today?

Message 24 of 28
ACE - Expert

Only in SD and real time by connecting composite cable to both.

Message 25 of 28
ACE - Expert

@lookingforansR wrote:

Do you know if copying files from DirectTV to a DVD is still possible today?

Yes, still possible.

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder. To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 26 of 28
Contributor

How can I record from my DVR to a DVD-Recorder?

Message 27 of 28
ACE - Expert

See litzdog's post immediately above yours

Message 28 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support