Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

Contributor

Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

We are getting new dvr for our system.  I was told we could transfer our recorded programs to flash drive and then transfer to new dvr.  How do I do this and what kind of flash drive do I need?

Message 1 of 28
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎11-26-2017 10:38 AM

Re: Transfer dvr programs to flash drive

You were told wrong.  It's not possible to back up or transfer DVR recordings.  They're encrypted to the DVR that recorded them.  You'll want to view any valuable recordings before replacing your old DVR.  Or copy them the "old fashioned" way to a VCR, DVD Recorder, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Contributor

Hmmmm, we were told by the representative from Direct TV. I tried looking online because we were not at our home while making the change to our account. I cannot find anything online to figure it out. I guess we will lose all of the recordings.
Message 3 of 28
ACE - Expert

Like I said, you were told wrong.  It's sad when the DirecTV reps don't know what they're talking about.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

Thank you!!!
Message 5 of 28
ACE - Professor

Not sure where some of these reps are getting their incorrect info from, recordings have NEVER  been transferable and probably never will be, (former  tech support rep)

Message 6 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

If you are upgrading, to make sure you are not further steered wrong, what are the models of your current boxes and what have you chosen for your "upgrade"?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 7 of 28
Contributor

I have a HR44/500 going to the new DVD with 4 k can I get the old Show's off the old for an them install them on the new dvr

Message 8 of 28
ACE - Professor

No! Recordings are encrypted to the hard drive and NOT  transferable 

Message 9 of 28
Contributor

I have a HR44/500 I'm going to the new DVr with 4K can you download the old files to a flash drive then upload them to the new DVr 

Message 10 of 28
ACE - Professor

No

Message 11 of 28
Contributor

How about to a PC

Message 12 of 28
ACE - Professor

Again, NO!, recordings CAN'T  be transferred. 

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

Recordings can not be transferred to a PC, laptop, flash drive, external hard drive or anything else when replacing a box. The recordings are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them and are not allowed to be transferred. Even if using an external hard drive, if you connect to another DVR, you existing recordings will get overwritten as they are not allowed to be transferred.

Message 14 of 28
ACE - Expert

They can be recorded to a PC with a video capture device and software usually in SD and always in real time. 

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support