Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Transfer DirecTV DVR recordings... to a flash drive or DVD via PC ??

Tutor

Transfer DirecTV DVR recordings... to a flash drive or DVD via PC ??

Greetings All !

I keep getting quite a backlog of recorded shows to watch.  It sure would help if I could watch them over my lunch-hour at work.   I'd rather NOT use any of my employer's bandwidth, though, to stream them, IF I can avoid it.

So, is there any way I can transfer my recorded shows to my home PC?   Then I could either burn them to DVD or maybe they'd even fit on a flash drive.

Thank you!

-= Dave =-

Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transfer DirecTV DVR recordings... to a flash drive or DVD via PC ??

No, there is not a way to transfer to a flash drive or burn the recordings to a CD. The only way that I could think of is to get one of their geniegos and download the content to your device, the recordings expire after a certain amount of time so it is not a permanent save.

Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎02-29-2016 1:44 PM

You can burn them to DVD but they will be in SD and they will be burned in real time using the composite outputs on the DTV receivers(some will need a 10 pin composite din cable to get the output).  You can also record them to the PC with this method with a video capture device and software.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 13
Tutor

Is it possible to get my PC to access the Directv DVR over my home network?

I mean, it'd be a lot easier for me to do this sort of thing from my desktop PC that's a floor above the living room TV... than to drag the PC downstairs, hook it up, and do all of this.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Message 4 of 13
Mentor

At the moment, there's no current way to access stuff from your DVR on your PC. There have been playback methods in the past but no way to get at the files. Unfortunately there's not likely to ever be a way to get the ability to back up HD content. Blame content providers like Disney who are afraid you'll distribute their programs for free to the rest of the internet.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Expert

DR4296 wrote:

Is it possible to get my PC to access the Directv DVR over my home network?

I mean, it'd be a lot easier for me to do this sort of thing from my desktop PC that's a floor above the living room TV... than to drag the PC downstairs, hook it up, and do all of this.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

To access the DVR directly from your desktop, no, but there are ways to play back content from your DVR on your desktop. One simple way is a slingbox. With a slingbox connected to your DVR and home network, the desktop slingbox player will allow you to play back content on your desktop.

I had a slingbox like device called vulcano. That device not only allowed me to play back recordings on my PC but also let me capture/record it on my PC as it played. I do not know if the slingbox provides that capability.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 13
Scholar

And Disney has good reason to think so.

Message 7 of 13
Contributor

contact me to discuss how to do this....I really would like to transfer the stuff on my Direct TV DVR to an external Hard Drive....

my email is [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

@DavidET

Recordings are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them and so cannot be transferred to an external hard drive. Even if you use an external eSATA HDD to give yourself additional recording space, the internal is inaccessable, and if you were to move the external to another DVR the existing recordings would be locked out and recorded over.

If you have a Genie HR44 or HR54 that is connected to your home internet, you can transfer recordings (temporarily) to a mobile device (smart phone or tablet) via the Directv app (portion called MobileDVR). The mobile device must be connected to your home network to pair with the Genie and to transfer recordings. After so much time (30 days if I recall correctly) the recordings auto delete. MobileDVR is for watching on the go where you have little to no internet, or out of country where they cannot broadcast/stream.

Alternatively you could connect a non-HDMI device (such as VCR) to any outputs your tv has to record what is playing in real time. Has to be non-HDMI otherwise High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) kicks in not allowing you to record.

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

What video transfer program is the best? I'm trying to do this, but it's like not working to well and it's sound is like chipmunk.

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

@BakerCole wrote:

What video transfer program is the best? I'm trying to do this, but it's like not working to well and it's sound is like chipmunk.

What hardware and software are you using.  I know many folks like the stuff from Hauppauge ....

http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

Message 11 of 13
Teacher

I use the directv app. You can use the app to watch shows from a mobile device such as an iPad or smart phone. You can download to your device using the app so that you Can watch off-line. However, I believe the download is limited to one hour programs or less. I’ve tried to download movies to my device with the app and was not able to.

Message 12 of 13
ACE - Expert

@Hatchinator wrote:

I use the directv app. You can use the app to watch shows from a mobile device such as an iPad or smart phone. You can download to your device using the app so that you Can watch off-line. However, I believe the download is limited to one hour programs or less. I’ve tried to download movies to my device with the app and was not able to.

No, they can be more than one hour. But they disappear after 30-days, so not suitable for long term storage. 

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support