Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Transfer DVR recordings to new DVR?

Contributor

Transfer DVR recordings to new DVR?

I am replacing my old Direct-TV HR23-700 (dual tuner DVR) with a HR24-100 DVR.

I have several recorded shows on my HR23 that I would like transfer to the replacement HR24.

How can this be done?

The old DVR still works most of the time, but has intermittent issues causing the replacement.

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎12-30-2017 6:36 PM

Re: Transfer DVR recordings to new DVR?

Sorry, it can’t be done. All recordings are encrypted to the DVR, there is no way to transfer to another DVR. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

You can use analog tech and a video capture device if it is something really important. You can read about it online.  

Message 3 of 10
Tutor

Just wondering, did you have a technitian came out to activate your new DVR?

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

A warranty replacement (like for like) doesn't require a tech unless the problem is beyond just the box. An upgrade of equipment in many cases needs a tech because you are adding additional capability that your current setup may need some adjustments to support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Contributor

test

Message 6 of 10
Contributor

Hello to all the knowledgeable people in this group.  Believe me, I appreciate the expert knowledge here.  I want to ask the most common question again (now that it is December 10, 2018, maybe there is new, good news now?).

Now, December 10, 2018, is there an easy way to make a permanent HD backup recording of my DirecTV HR-44 recordings? ... Or expand my storage space so I can see ALL my recordings (old and new) at the same time (without having to disconnect external HD)?

I'm guessing the answers are still "No" due to recordings still being strongly associated with the drive they were recorded on.... but I am hoping...

Thank you to the knowledge person(s) who reply to this (repeated) question.  Your knowledge is sincerely appreciated.

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

There are component capture cards for desktop computers but it is still real time recording.

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

@DaveDirectv

Has not changed. Recordings are encrypted to the DVR. It is still built that you cannot see recordings of external HDD and the internal at the same time. This is done to prevent recording.

So using a video capture device or VCR to record from the TV the traditional way is still the only option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 9 of 10
Contributor

Thank you. :/

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support