Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Transfer DVR Recorded Shows to New Eq

Contributor

Transfer DVR Recorded Shows to New Eq

Scheduled upgrade from HD DVR to HD Genie.  Is there a way to save the recorded shows on the old equipment and/or transfer to new equipment.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 17
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎10-31-2015 8:59 AM

Unfortunately, no.   You'll need to view those old recordings before upgrading your equipment, or consider keeping the HD DVR on your account along with the new Genie DVR.  Otherwise you'll need to copy them to a DVD Recorder, VCR, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 17
Teacher

what if you are going from Genie to Genie?  My Genis is 2+ years old and appears to be having issues during playback (I assume it's dying)... If this isn't possible, it's definitely something DirecTv (AT&T) needs to work on... thanks!

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Expert

It's not possible to transfer recordings from an old DVR to a new DVR, even Genie to Genie.  I agree it would be nice if DirecTV could offer a way to do this.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
Teacher

litzdog911 suggested keeping the old HD DVR along with the new Genie DVR.  Will DTV let you do that?  What about keeping my HR34-700 so I can upgrade to the newer HR44 model?

Message 5 of 17
Former Employee

Yes, they will let you do that. Just don't replace that DVR when you go for the upgrade but get it added on to the account instead. Switching from a HR34 to an HR44 will be a tough one as it is not seen as an upgrade. DirecTV considers all models of the Genie receivers the same.

Message 6 of 17
ACE - Expert

DTV only allows one Genie per account so you can't keep the old Genie to watch the programs then return

Message 7 of 17
Former Employee

Ah, yes. I missed that. If the HD DVR you are wanting to keep is the HR34 along with another Genie, @murf52, it's not possible. If it is a non Genie HD DVR such as a HR2x then you would be able to.

Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Teacher

Thanks.  I wish I'd known that when I got my Genie originally.  Oh, well, I guess I'll have to put on a big pot-o-coffee to burn down my recorded shows so I can upgrade...  8^)

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

"...you'll need to copy them to a DVD Recorder, VCR, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software."

Just how do you do this? Can I, for example, connect a USB drive to my HR21-700 then, through the DVR menu, copy a recording to the USB drive?

Message 10 of 17
Tutor

"...you'll need to copy them to a DVD Recorder, VCR, or PC with audio/video capture hardware/software."

Just how do you do this? Can I, for example, connect a USB drive to my HR21-700 then, through the DVR menu, copy a recording to the USB drive?

Message 11 of 17
Scholar

No, UBS wont work.  Just conenct the Genie to yru DVD/VCR with composite cables.  

Message 12 of 17
ACE - Expert

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder. To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

Message 13 of 17
Tutor

Just remember that when you use the RCA plugs from a modern DVR onto a VCR you are putting a 1080p signal into a 480p device.  The resulting recording will display only about 50% of the screen on a modern 1080p TV.  It'll be cropped (like watching a 1960's TV show on a 1080p screen; the sides will be cropped and the botoom and top will also be "cropped")  The display will indeed be smaller than your screen.

Message 14 of 17
Contributor

You mean to tell me with all the leading edge "technology" that DirecTV has boasted all these years that simply taking prerecorded material from an older Genie to a new Genie is not possible?  Even with AT&T's backing of horsepower knowledge?  The suggested resolution is to burn the recordings to a VCR?  Anybody remember those enjoyable, hi-tech devices?  Unbelievable.  Xfinity here I come.

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support