Explore & discover

Helpful Links

This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)

Contributor

This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)

We've recently been having the same problem as other users have reported about the DVR not recording episodes of series (Gotham, The Gifted) that we have set to series record. I haven't yet tried red-button resetting and deleting the series record settings and re-setting them up again via the guide, so I won't make too much noise about that now since there are other, lengthy threads (which give me no hope that this will actually be resolved) about this problem. However, I stumbled across something strange when going back through the Recording History after noticing an episode of yet another show I have set to series record was missing. The February 28 episode of The Starters on NBATV is listed as "Canceled" and the message is "This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)". I called technical support today to get more information about this, and after much deliberation, the representative said that it's possible that the broadcaster told DirecTV that this particular episode of the series is not allowed to be recorded. Really???????? Seems pretty ridiculous given that this has never happened before for this show and I was able to find another showing of the exact same episode to record (manually... this was not done automatically as the DVR probably should have tried to do) later that evening.

The only other references I can see about this error come from posts here and other DirecTV-related forums from 5+ years ago, most of them saying that this was an indication that the hard drive in the receiver is dying. However, I receiver-rebooted, entered diagnostics mode, and ran a HDD SMART short test, which passed. I have a HDD SMART long test running now, but I understand that can take a few hours. I'm still baffled by what the representative told me, though. Why would one odd episode of a series that I've always been able to record suddenly be permissions restricted? Does this really happen?

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)

The error 15 usually means that when the DVR started to record the show it found it was not the show that had been expected. Most of the time it is because the guide data has changed, a different episode is being shown. If you leave the DVR alone and the cortrect episode appears later, it will be recorded, even if it does not show up in the todo list.

As far as series in general are concerned, remember that an episode won't be recorded even if you have asked for All Episodes if it has been recorded in the last 28 days (the 28 day rule).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: This episode was canceled because of its recording permissions. (15)

If a series is set to record all episodes it should not skip/cancel episodes unless it is already recorded.  This is a bug I hope someone will remedy.  This is happening a lot! 

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support