Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Tailgate help please

Highlighted
Tutor

Tailgate help please

Hello, my regular service are is zip code 70445.  When tailgating at LSU in 70808 I have had no problem locking on to satellite 4s (101 degrees) and getting most of my channels.  But I am not able to get local network channels.  I have a D12-100 receiver and an 18" x 20" oval dish with 3 lnb's and a multiswitch.  I have not been able to lock on to the satellites at 110 and 119 degrees (which I believe the dish and receiver are capable of receiving).  Do I have the proper equipment to get the local channels?  I plan to be tailgating in Tuscaloosa, Al next Saturday, zip code 35487.  Do I have the proper equipment to get the local channels there?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 17
Expert

Re: Tailgate help please

Unlike "cable" channels that are beamed to the entire US, local channels are "spot beamed" to the specific market.  what this means to you is that you  will be able to see your local stations while at or around your service address. but once you wander too far from the spot beam, you get nothing

Message 2 of 17
Tutor

Bummer, I'm usually only about 60 miles outside of my zip code.  Is that too far away to pick up the spot beam for my local channels?  If so, do you know if I could change the service area for the receiver I use to tailgate while keeping all others in the house in my home service area?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Expert

Yeah, 60-miles is pushing it.  If you can't get those channels, then you're outside their spot beam coverage.  And no, you can't change the service area for just one Receiver. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
Expert

Have you considered trying a set of rabbit ears to get the locals when tailgating?

Message 5 of 17
Tutor

Thanks y'all.  Yes, I have used rabbit ears with good success at LSU, but would rather not have to mess with that in addition to the dish though.  I'm anticipating problems in Tuscaloosa next Sat with rabbit ears since according to antennaweb.org, there is no CBS affiliate close enough to pick up the game with that type of antenna.

thanks again for your input.

Message 6 of 17
Expert

You are welcome.

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as "correct". Thanks!

Message 7 of 17
Tutor

The only thing that's still kind of bothering me is....all those fancy rv's that travel all over the US, they have this problem too?

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Message 8 of 17
Expert

They might and they might not.  if they have a DirecTV RV account, they can get DNS, which are the 4 major local stations.

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

Direct TV jsut said the same thing, except you have to have a commercial vehicle to be legit for DNS service.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 17
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎10-29-2013 6:43 AM

Exactly, in order to get DNS you need an RV or apply for waivers from the networks if you are "unserved" which is not your case.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2450/kw/dns%20service

Message 11 of 17
Expert

To be clear, the RV DNS stations are the four major network stations out of either NYC or LA depending on your billing address.  You would find those to be broadcasting games of interest to their home fans.

Message 12 of 17
Tutor

thank you all again, you've been very helpful. might look into an RV account.

Message 13 of 17
Mentor

No matter where you are you should be able to "lock on" to the 119° sat regardless of the programming coming from that sat  and your subscription to that content. Line of sight to that 119° sat is the biggest determining factor, after that your tuning and tilt (skew) adjustment, the proper drop cables and multiswitch. If you only have 1 box, you do not need a switch. A triplesat will serve up to 4 tuners w/o a switch, so don't complicate things by adding one.

And then having the box set to the correct configuration. Some markets have their locals come off the 119° (ie. Savannah, GA). Others, like Phila where I live, do not.

When you are stepping through Set Up there is an option to put in your ZIP code and get the local azimuth, elevation and tilt.  Use an inclinometer to check your azimuth and elevation for LOS. But on a plumb mast those are only starting points - you need to connect to a meter or box and fine tune.

That being said, If you are moving around tailgating DTV can switch your DMA easy enough but your "right" to get that programming for that reason is between you and DTV. You could tell them you are camping in that DMA and can they switch you. I've worked on folks with horse trailers who travel around and that's not an RV so I think you should be able to.

Message 14 of 17
Expert

While DirecTV "might" be able to switch the service address, is not as easily as you think.  also they do not do this every weekend.  and changing the service address will also affect the receiver in the home as those will not get the proper locals

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support