Explore & discover

Helpful Links

TV requires coax input

Teacher

TV requires coax input

My receiver, HR23-700, is being moved to another room. The TV in that room needs a coax input. The HR23-700 does not have a coax output. The TV's RCA input is being used.

How do I make this work?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bobjjm
‎07-22-2018 2:16 AM

Re: TV requires coax input

You need a composite cable and an RF modulator, the composite cable connects to the yellow video and red /white audio outputs on the HR23 then to the yellow red/white on the RF modulator or get a composite switch . 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Teacher

such as the RCA CRF907 Compact RF Modulator?

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

You will also need to change a couple settings, assuming your are moving it from an HDTV.

Display, Preferences. Change HIde SD Duplicates to Hide HD Channels. Display, Resolutions. Only the highest the other TV b supports which should be 480.

Be aware the MPEG-2 that feeds SD starts going away in April 2019. Not sure if all SD channels will be discontinued or will be moved over to an MPEG-4 feed. So those of us who have that old spare SD TV, will need to look at HDTV options.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Teacher

Thx for the input

I get all the settings changes.

My current setup works just fine - that is not acceptable to Directv (and others) so they make changes to obsolete a working system. The old TV, a Sony Trinitron has a picture as good as most HD shows on my flat screen, and the audio is far superior.

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

The MPEG-2 feed is obsolete, especially since SD TVs haven't been made in years (decade?). Technology evolves. Hopefully the old SD channels (at least the few that don't have an HD version) will move over to the MPEG-4 feed.

I am in a similar boat as I have a HR24 connected to a SD TV (built in VCR even). So I have the MPEG-4 box, but lower resolution and not all the changes as some are HD only. So I will probably replacing it within the next year to match my others.

SD / MPEG-2 had been expected to go away a few years ago. Now it is finally happening. Tech moves forward (leaded gas, 8-track, Windows 95, etc.), even if we sometimes don't want it to.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support