Slow Out of Home GenieGo Streaming

Teacher

Slow Out of Home GenieGo Streaming

Hello everyone, I just got my GenieGo to work so I'm very pleased about that. When I got it to work, I tried to stream a show and it worked great, no pausing or anything like that. Then I tried streaming away from home, that is when I experienced the pausing while the show is streaming.

My question is, is this pausing because of the download speeds of where I am at or is the upload speed not fast enough at home? I have ATT Uverse Internet Max with 12mb download and I think 1.5mb upload.

Message 1 of 26
Employee

Re: Slow Out of Home GenieGo Streaming

When you are OOH, both speeds are at work.  you need at least 1 Mbps at home as your download  and of course a reliable download connection outside

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 26
Expert

I believe that Peds48 meant to say "you need at least 1 Mbps at home as your upload"

Message 3 of 26
Teacher

Ok thanks than the problem must be the wifi im using out of home, the dl speed is less than 2mbps.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

Message 4 of 26
Administrator

That is a good bet. I find that most Wi-Fi locations I go to have download speeds of 1.5mb.

Message 5 of 26
Employee

Right.  Thanks d!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 26
Employee

Do a speedtest with your mobile device and see what you are truly getting outside.  the GenieGo stream is "adaptive, meaning that the picture quality will decrease in low DL conditions to allow to stream although I would say that 1Mbps would be the bare minimum

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 26
Teacher

I'm actually thinking of switching to from u-verse to infinity internet,

which offers 25 down / 5 up speeds. I wonder if the faster upload speeds

would help with the buffering and picture quality I see when im streaming

away from home. The first day I tried to stream away from home is when I

experienced the choppiness in the stream, which prompted me to post my

original question.Yesterday, I streamed a soccer match and it did not

pause/buffer at all, but the PQ was not great, granted that is was

broadcast in SD. Do you guys think faster upload speeds would help or will

it not matter because of the slow DL speeds when away from home?

Message 8 of 26
Employee

yes, you should se a better pic quality but anything above 2 Mbps for the upload would not make a difference as tis where it maxes out

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 26
Administrator

Reminder. Your internet speed is only as fast as the slowest link.  A lot of locations I have tried have dl 1.5mg.

Message 10 of 26
Tutor

Can you give opinion on quality of streaming on geniego outside of home?  We want to watch sports...football and basketball via streaming.  We tested with 896(?) CenuryLink upload speed and got a lot of pixels when people moved.

I will have to plunk down $99 for upgraded modem to get up 5mbps upload.  Before I do that, I was looking for opinion on quality at the higher speed.

Message 11 of 26
Employee

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 26
Employee

The above PIC were taking while using GenieGo.  I was gettign 3Mbps on cell network and I have 35Mbps as my upload at home
Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 26
Administrator

First of all the geniego does not provide live streaming in case you were not aware.. It will play what is already stored in the geniego. Also  you can start a recording and immediately start watching it. Also FF is not allowed.

As for quality yes 5mb upload will help. However there is no definite answer on the quality do to overall connection speed. There other factors to consider. Your connection speed is only as fast as the slowest link. You may be in a location where the download speed is 1.5mb. This will be your actual transfer speed. There could also be a slow hub somewhere. Centurylink also charges $5.00+ every month for the increased speed. I know I went that route.

Message 14 of 26
Tutor

Thank you.  Looks like picture quality is OK, like SD.  Since you seem to know a lot about Directv, any guesses on whether streaming will be HD anytime soon?

Message 15 of 26
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support