Helpful Links

Slingbox and genie receiver

Teacher

Slingbox and genie receiver

Does anyone know if the genie receiver will work with the slingbox? Can't seem to change my channels remotely with my new genie receiver hooked up to my slingbox is anyone else having problems with this? Please let me know
Message 1 of 49
ACE - Expert

Re: Slingbox and genie receiver

Your Slingbox has to control the HR34's channel changes.  How did you configure the Slingbox to do that?   And be sure that your HR34's remote isn't set to RF Mode. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 49
Employee

Also be sure that the Slingbox's IR blasters are positioned on top of the HR34's IR sensor

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 49
Contributor

Hi,

Just hooked up a Slingbox 500 to my Direct TV Genie system client.  I have the HR34-700 DVR with 3 C31-700 clients.  Here's how I did it.

The client was already connected by HDMI to a Samsung 3D plasma TV.

I inserted a monoprice HDMI splitter between the client and the HDTV to ensure the HDCP and component video output will stay active whether the TV is on or off.  I bought the Monoprice 1x2 Pigtail HDMI splitter for $31 so I didn't have to use another HDMI cable.  The second port from the splitter is empty.  (If you try to connect the second splitter port directly to the Slingbox with an HDMI cable, it won't work because the HDCP will fail, so don't bother trying.)  The TV functions exactly the same as before.

I bought a H2510PIN DirecTV cable for $7 and connected the Genie client to the Slingbox using the component video input and analog R/L audio.  I put the IR transmitter pyramid in front of the Genie client, and selected DirecTV -> Genie for the remote control settings.  I temporarily connected the Slingbox to the TV with a component video cable to set everything up, and then removed it once the Slingbox was configured.

All channels and features function remotely through the iTunes App, and I'm able to watch any channel or the DVR remotely.

In retrospect, because you're not using the HDMI input on the Slingbox 500, the Slingbox 350 would work just as well.

Best,

MV

Message 4 of 49
Contributor

I was facing the same issue and came across your post. I resolved the issue by going into settings and changing the genie C31 to IR (from RF). Problem fixed, it now works perfectly.

Message 5 of 49
Teacher

I inserted a monoprice HDMI splitter between the client and the HDTV to ensure the HDCP and component video output will stay active whether the TV is on or off.

end quote

Can you explain how this works? Is it because the splitter is drawing power even when the TV is off and so the C31 keeps the HDMI and AV Port alive?

Does this also permit watching HDCP content over the component video (ie slingbox)?

Thanks

Message 6 of 49
ACE - Expert

It's a powered splitter, so it is always on.

Component does not carry HDCP. The issue is that the HDMI-connected TV fails the HDCP test when it is off; putting the splitter in the connection maintains the HDCP compliance even when the HDCP-connected TV is off so the video outputs don't shut down.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 49
Teacher

Thanks that is what I thought. Two other questions

1. What resolution does the AV Port support? It looks like an S-video port so is it constraining the output to 480?

2. Do the C31 settings have to be changed to select the AV Port output vs HDMI, or are they both active.

Thanks

Message 8 of 49
Employee

1. the AV port is a DirecTV proprietary connection.  It can support up to 1080i using the component cable 10 PIN DIN "dongle" or 480 using the composite 10 PIN DIN cable "dongle" .  you can get these cables from www.solidsignal.com or DirecTV.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 49
Employee

no, all outputs are live at the same time assuming HDCP is kept "alive"

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 49
Teacher

Thanks

I ordered the 10pin to component cable , the slingbox 500 and the powered splitter. I intend to hook it to a C31 in a room that is not used much. Will report back how it works out.

Message 11 of 49
Employee

Make sure the powered splitter is HDCP compliant

Keep us posted

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 49
Teacher

Works perfectly as described above.

I set the HDMI to pass through the sling box for the setup only. Once I set it up I rerouted the HDMI to go C31-splitter-Tv only. Component from the C31 AV Port to the sling box using the special cable. Total setup time about 30 mins including a 10 minute sling box software update.

If you have Ethernet available the sling box 350 would be just fine. I needed wifi.

Before ordering anything I checked the wifi speed available at the location where the box would be. The key metric is the upload speed. My service is 50 down 5 up, but this location is in the basement one floor below the router. I found that I had 8 down and 4 up at this location, more than enough.

I will say that this is not a cheap setup. The sling box 500 is $298, the powered splitter is $32, the component cable is $4, the sling box iPad and iPhone apps are $14.99 each. That's a chunk of change. I was tempted by the Vulkano products but there seemed to be many complaints.

Anyway I am now able to operate my C31 from anywhere. I need a wifi connection speed of at least 2 down to get a stable HD picture from a remote location. At 1 down there is some pixelation.

Overall I am very happy.

Message 13 of 49
Employee

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as "correct". Thanks!

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 49
Tutor

So, if I have my DTV genie on wifi connect, can I use a slingbox 350?

Message 15 of 49
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support