Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Should I upgrade to newer HDDVR's or genie?

Should I upgrade to newer HDDVR's or genie?

I have an old directv system...same for 15 years.  8 X 12 3 LNB satellite dish and 3 HD DVR's for 3 TV's.  The models are 2 HR22's and 1 HR20.

The TV's with HR22's keep pixelating and going black for a second during live broadcasts. 

I think my options are to replace the HR22's with a newer ones...maybe HR24 (if they are better-faster) as the HR22's are very slow  or go with a genie system HR54 and 1 client to replace the HR22s.  I hear the genie 2 (HR17) is buggy still and doesn't work with older DVR's, so this may not be best for me.  I also like to use slngbox for remote viewing

Since each TV already has a DVR, I don't really need a whole home DVR service, but also don't object to it if it works just as good.  I should have an upgrade available with directv.

I'm also wondering if my satellite is the cause of my issues and should get a new one?

Currently, I'm paying the old $10 HD fee and $10 DVR fee and would like to somehow avoid these fees as well.  plus $7 fee monthly for each extra DVR (main unit is free)

What's my best set up?

Message 1 of 8

Re: Should I upgrade to newer HDDVR's or genie?

also, my main TV is a large 1080P plasma and thinking this is where the HR54 would go.  I've got a 4K OLED in a bedroom and maybe I should use a C61 for it instead of the regular C51.

Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

You can probably get a sweet upgrade deal for an HR54 Genie DVR.  You should also consider a C61K for your 4K OLED TV so you can view 4K programming. Avoid the HS17. And consider keeping one or two HD DVRs for more recording flexibility, replacing at least the HR20 with an HR24. 

Note that DirecTV will pressure you for an HS17 setup, but then you cannot have any other HD DVRs on your account ... only the HS17 and Mini Genies. 

And you'll need the dish to be replaced with a new "reverse band" SlimLine SWM HD dish. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8

Yes
I’m thinking of the H54 and C61 for 4K. Then keeping one of the old HDDVRs for the 3rd tv. The oldest one HR20 isn’t giving me any issues so that might be the one to keep.

I don’t want to renew for 24 months and I was told over the phone by the technician I wouldn’t need to....then I get a standard email with a service call saying I would need to sign 2yr agreement.

I’m wondering if I should just get 2 new HR24s to replace the HR22’s with no 2 yr agreement
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

The HR24 are the only HRDVRs left in stock and are refurbished.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

Upgrade of equipment comes with a 24 month agreement always.

Upgrade gets equipment with different features, not a newer model number which would be a warranty replacement instead.

Only way to remove DVR service is to change all boxes to non-DVRs. As long as one box is DVR then you pay for the service.

Cannot remove HD service as SD only service was no longer offered as of late 2015.

You have 3 options.

1. Warranty replace your problem boxes. Being a warranty, not an upgrade, this does not come with an agreement renewal. Would receive HR24 as that is last model HDDVR they had in stock before the newer setups. Would be $19.95 delivery, or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan. Keep total 6 tuners, but more recording space if you replace the HR20 (staring with the HR22 they have put a 500GB hard drive into regular HDDVRs), for a total of 1.5TB from all 3 boxes.

2. Upgrade one HDDVR (preferably the oldest HR20 which has a smaller hard drive) with a Genie. You would get the HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. Has a 1TB hard drive, 5 tuners (compare to 2 of a regular HDDVR) and would allow each HDDVR see the recordings of the others. Adds $3 Whole Home DVR service and 24 month agreement. You would have 9 total tuners and 2TB recording space.

3. Do a 4K upgrade. This replaces one HDDVR with HR54 (as HR44 is not compatible for a 4K setup) and another HDDVR with the 4K Client (C61K, not C61, the 'K' matters). Client has no tuners of its own, so takes one of the 5 from the main Genie. Total 7 tuners and 1.5TB recording space.

Personally I would do a combination of option 1 and 2 as it would provide the most capability and reliability. Only a $3 difference on the monthly bill (other services cannot be removed as mentioned), and you still replace any other boxes that are giving you problems which would end up with newer model numbers as only HR24 would be in stock (HR23 and others gone years ago). Option 3 is still more capability then you have right now, but Clients cannot work without the main box. So if it goes down (unplugged, reset, etc.) Client goes with it. And there are only 2 channels in 4K (plus PPVs). And Clients share the parental controls and recording list as well, but independent HDDVRs can have their own settings, or even hide one DVR list from the others if you choose.

With any option you choose, remember that recordings do not transfer from any box replaced so it is recommended to be caught up first.

Do not get the Genie-2 (HS17) as it is a Client only system. It forbids HDDVRs from being on the account, which hard caps it, and does not have the independent options I referenced above. Plus still dealing with the post-launch bugs you have heard about. It is better than when first launched, but even if bugs were squashed, I will not recommend this system for as long as it doesn't allow other HDDVRs from being on the account.

If you still consider 4K (option 3), then here is some more info you need to know about 4K requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only two channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the detailed answer.

When I called Directv and spoke to a technician about my service problems ( pixelation and quick black outs), he promised he could set up a service order to replace my old equipment with a genie HR54.

He also mentioned the HS17 is buggy.  He said I wouldn't need a 24 month agreement and he could lower my bill by removing the older fees $10 HD and $10 DVR.  So this sounded good to me of course.

Then, I get the standard email service order before the install next week which says a 24 month agreement is needed at the time.  I called a service rep and they said it would need a new agreement but he opened an escalation ticket try to get it waived?

I really just want "working/non glitchy " receivers which are faster.  The channels and menus are sloooow.  So, the warranty replacement route would be ok, but if they can do the genie with no new agreement, that would seem better.  Is the HR54 genie faster than the HR24?   I don't have a big need for all the extra tuners.  2 on each DVR is all I need, but of course 5 is great too on the genie.  If I did just settle for 2 new HR24 HDDVR's, would my satellite need to be updated/changed too?  It's very old and perhaps that's where some or all of my problems are coming from instead of the receivers?  If I just get new HR24's, I'm worried the issues I'm having may still come from the old satellite.

I read somewhere the HR54's are faster, while the clients are a little slower.  My main TV in the living room is the one I watch the most.  It's an old 1080P plasma but works ok and cost $3K at the time.  I was thinking of putting the HR54 here since it's non 4K and running a C61K client to the bedroom TV which is 4K LG OLED and take advantage of the small 4K offerings rather than setting it up with a C51.  This bedroom has the other old glitchy HR22.  The last room has the oldest HR20 and this DVR seems to have no issues even though it's older/ smaller etc which is fine with me.  I guess this one is better than adding a new client on it.  

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

The following agent trying to get the agreement waived was probably new. There is no way to upgrade without an agreement. The HR54 is a Genie, not a regular HDDVR, so is not a warranty replacement for your boxes. HR24 is the last regular HDDVR made. This has been the option for about 15 years getting free upgrades. The old days of paying full retail cost ($499 HDDVR) without agreement were discontinued upon launch of the 1st Genie.

Those "older feeds" of HD and DVR cannot be avoided. New customers pay for them as well, just itemized differently as DirecTV wanted to show HD was part of the service instead of an add-on.

Old way: Primary TV fee $0, HD $10, DVR $10, Whole Home DVR $3 = $23

New way: Primary TV fee $7, HD included service, Advanced Receiver $15 (this is DVR and Whole Home DVR together) = $22.

So old and new way is only $1 difference. Both ways you still pay the $7 for each additional TV beyond the first.

So warranty replace your boxes. That is the only way to avoid a new agreement. You can always upgrade to the Genie later if you choose, but not without a 24 month agreement. If you do later go to the Genie, do not get a Client or you are losing capability. The 2 channels in 4K are not worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support