Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Should I upgrade HR44-500?

Contributor

Should I upgrade HR44-500?

I am a very long time DirecTV user and have had the same HR44-500 receiver for many years. It works fine -- my only complaint is that it's slow to use -- user interface does not respond quickly. My question is whether there is an advantage to upgrading the equipment. Parameters:

- I have just one TV (a plasma, so not 4K) and just one receiver; might add second TV in a few months

- No plans right now to change the TV. No 4K for me for a while. 

But I suspect newer receivers must have some advantages -- but maybe not for me?

Thanks in advance!!

(By the way, I tried to get an answer from ATT/DirecTV support and omg what a runaround. After 25 minutes and talking to three people, getting some amazingly stupid questions and answers (I mean, amazingly), the third person finally told me the technical team is "unavailable" because they are doing a "system upgrade.") 

Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: Should I upgrade HR44-500?

I have the same receiver as you and have wondered if I should upgrade, but others here with newer receivers have issues with those too so I don’t think I will upgrade any time soon. Directv has really become a junky service. I think their frequent updates are messing with how good the system used to be.  I have reduced our package to Select and have some discounts just to make sure I’m not paying this greedy company $125+ a month anymore. As soon as I find a streaming TV service with all the features I want I’ll be canceling Directv which makes me sad because it used to be such a good service. Sorry for the rant. I worry we will still have issues with an upgraded receiver so my advice is to wait it out and see if things get better. 

Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by MRubenzahl2
‎08-18-2018 11:01 PM

There are no upgrades except to 4K or add a room as DTV considers all Genies as the same.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Thanks, all. 

I am going to just replace the external hard disk I added since it's been spinning for at least 6 years now and could grind to a halt at any time. Probably while recording the Super Bowl!  

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

Remember you cannot recover the recordings from the external hard drive as they are encrypted to the pairing between it and your Genie. Recordings cannot be transferred.

At this time the only "upgrade" for a Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is the Genie-2 (HS17) which is highly not recommended per some design restrictions (and some post launch bugs that haven't been completely squashed yet).

If you get a second TV you would have 2 options.

1. Get a HDDVR. This has 2 tuners and 500GB recording space built in as well as independent processing from the Genie, though both can see each other's recordings. Regular HDDVRs do support having their own external hard drive up to 2TB, as opposed to the Genie which supports up to 4TB (though some use larger with the Genie itself, so this was just the last officially supported size Directv mentioned).

2. If it is a 4K TV you can use your upgrade for the 4K model of Mini Genie Client (C61K). The Client goes on the 4K TV itself. It does not have any tuners or recording space of its own as it is an extension of the Genie, so takes 1 tuner for itself. To be compatible the tech on site doing install would swap your HR44 for the HR54 to be compatible (again recordings do not transfer from the old box). This would gain you access to the couple 4K channels (3 if you count the PPV one) on the Client only.

Both options would have the same $7 monthly for one more TV total, and of course the 24 month agreement as all upgrades come with.

As a note if you ever need to warranty replace the HR44, there is always the possibility you 'might' get an HR54 depending on available stock. The HR54 recovers some resources as it does not have a phone jack (features removed in the new interface anyway) and does not have front panel controls. Besides support for the limited 4K content, there really isn't any benefit of one over the other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support