Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Save recorded programs

Highlighted
Contributor

Save recorded programs

How do I transfer recorded programs from my existing DVR to the new upgraded DVR. 

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎06-02-2019 2:33 PM

Re: Save recorded programs

@Saundep wrote:

How do I transfer recorded programs from my existing DVR to the new upgraded DVR. 

You don't. Recordings are encrypted to the DVR they were recorded on.

However, in many cases you can keep an existing DVR even with an upgrade. That way you wouldn't lose what you already recorded.

What are the models of each box you have now?

What "upgrade" are you doing?

Are you adding a TV, or keeping the same total of TVs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

I recently changed my box to a new model. I “recovered” all the TV shows I had in the old receiver. You can’t transfer or save recordings from one box to a new one. You need to use the Directv app on a mobile device. There you can access your playlist (all shows you had recorded) to send the shows to your new receiver.

If you haven’t used the Directv app before getting the new receiver probably you can’t access your playlist which means you haven’t register your mobile device to connect to your playlist. If this is the case you just go to Directv.com to access your account then you go to “Watch Directv” there you can see your playlist and send every recorded TV show to your new receiver. 

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

You can't send anything to the new receiver from the app.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

What are you talking about? Probably you can’t. I did it to watch it on my TV and at the end of the show it will ask if you want to keep or delete the recording. And just to make sure I did it again about a minute ago.

Do you have “Auto Prepare” turn on?

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

@Sednna7890 

Recordings are encrypted to the DVR. It is built to prevent transferring recordings to other hard drives (internal of box or your own personal hard drive).

The one exception is that the later Genie models allow you to temporarily (30 days) copy recordings to a mobile device for on the go viewing. As it is a copy, not a transfer, there is no transfer from built into the app. So in no way should this allow you to copy the recordings from the mobile device to another DVR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support