SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

Contributor

SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

Appreciate any response on these.

1. Are DirectTV satrellite dishes only receiving signals or do they transmit them as well? I would be concerend with transmitting RF or other electrical signals. Are the DirectTV dishes truly passive and non-transmitting?

2. Do all of the new DirectTV satellite dishes use the SMU ODU technology? Does the signal sent to the receivers happen via only coaxial cable or does it employ wireless RF signals? I would be concerend about RF signals, as I do NOT want wireless technology in my home.

3. If I only use one receiver and hence one TV to receive the DirectTV signal, do I need the SMU ODU device? Or, does DirectTV have single coaxial cables that connect directly to the LNB horn?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 27
Professor

Re: SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

1.Truly passive and non-transmitting

2. Only coax is used. The remotes can use both IR or RF so make sure the tech knows that you want IR and if you want an  internet connection for ON Demand tell the tech to use the wired DECA BB.

3.Both Genies are SWM (Single wire multiswitch) only, other receivers can use either the 2 coax system or the SWM, but the SWM is easier to install.

Message 2 of 27
Teacher

There is still RF radiating from the Genie box. However, I wonder why I am still getting RF signal in my bedroom, which is under and next to the DIRECT satellite dish, if the dish is passive? I can find no other reason for the signal, as I do not have Wi-Fi in my home and this signal is always there and does not go away when I turn off the televisions and unplug the Genie. Is there a way to temporarily disable the satellite, so I can check the RF measurements with the satellite deactivated?

Message 3 of 27
ACE - Professor

Unplug the swm power inserter then no power will
be going to the dish
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 27
Teacher

Do you mean that I should un-screw the cable that is going into the SWM bar?

Message 5 of 27
ACE - Master

If you have an HR54 or H44 then you may not have a power inserter then you just unplug the recever. You can if you want to but just unplugging it will do the same thing and it is called the power inserter.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 27
ACE - Expert

Pretty well all electronics including lighting will radiate some RF. Why are you so concerned?

Message 7 of 27
Teacher

Why ask why? Because, it is tresspassing into my bedroom, and I didn't cause or invite it. I can turn lights and other electronics off at night, and in so doing, I can sleep, relatively, EMF free. This signal does not have an off option, and that is unacceptable to me. 

Message 8 of 27
ACE - Expert

Personally, if I was very concerned about harmful EMF effects, I wouldn't have DirecTV equipment, or any sort of "cable boxes" for that matter.   Just about everything radiates WiFi, Bluetooth, or stray RF energy these days.   While you could connect your DirecTV equipment to a power strip with on/off buttons to totally kill the AC power, having a Receiver/DVR totally OFF all of the time will cause other issues with things like recording shows and downloading Guide Data.  

Message 9 of 27
Teacher

I don't know if the power inserter and the SWM bar with the four cable outs is the same thing, or not? I don't see anything else to un-plug.

Message 10 of 27
Teacher

We un-plug the Genie most of the time, unless we want to watch the MSU game or a show once in a while. 

Message 11 of 27
ACE - Master

The 4 output device is the SWM splitter. the power inserter is needed to power the SWM LNB on the dish arm and unless you have an HR54 or H44 DTV receiver then there is one somewhere in the coax to the dish and it is usually connected to the SWM splitter.

Message 12 of 27
Teacher

Thanks

Message 13 of 27
Teacher

We have the HR44-500

Message 14 of 27
Teacher

Yes, and I want to find that stray RF and disable it! So, apparently, no one thinks the satellite dish could be the source, since the HR44 receiver is off and I still have the RF signal? Could the dish be some kind of unwilling type of projector of the stay signal, even with the box un-plugged?

Message 15 of 27
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support