Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Returning Direct TV equipment

Contributor

Returning Direct TV equipment

How do I receive the box and shipping label to return the Direct TV Equipment?

Thank you,

Mike

Message 1 of 111
ACE - Expert

Re: Returning Direct TV equipment

@Jjuliasullivan

Directv no longer sends you the return kit, a change around turn of the year by the new owner AT&T.

The new process is they have you take your receiver/client boxes to a participating FedEx or The UPS Store (not USPS), and they arrange the free return (have your account number ready so the return gets tracked properly). It is highly recommended to verify with the location before you go to one that they do participate in the new process so you don't make a wasted trip. Depends on the models of the boxes if they are returnable of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 111

Thanks again, Jupiter i appreciate that! Why do they attdirectv say that they will send a kit? Also has anyone sucessfully returned equipment by simply taking it into upsfedx? Will they return the items if i already deactivated my directv account? Also the receiver did not come in a box... thanks again
Message 77 of 111

Has that actually worked for anyone? It sounds kind of shady to me..

Can i do this after i have closed my account and while the fccc is still investigating?  Thank you.

Message 78 of 111
ACE - Expert

The participating UPS or FedEx location will provide the packing materials needed. This is the process that AT&T has used for years and were simply moving Directv to the same process. Saves them money from having to resend return kits in the case of wrong delivery, especially if moved and close account for no line of sight and box went to the old address. My theory is agents are quoting from memory the old process they have used for 15+ years for 'leased' equipment as they see no reason to look up the policy on it. Because the return process changed around the beginning of the year, which should be plenty of time for agents to acclimate to the new option, I wonder if AT&T simply updated the policy but didn't send out notices to their agents on this big change.

Yes you can do this after you have closed your account, in fact that is the only time you can do it as you cannot return boxes that are not deactivated. So any time after the last day of service do the return, as long as it is reasonable they will receive it back within 21 days from the last day of service. A FCC complaint or investigation should not prevent you from returning equipment that is not your owned property.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 79 of 111

Can you buy signature confirmation when returning equipment? I am certainly going to try and i dont see why not...? Otherwise i will be worried.

Message 80 of 111

Do i need to wait until i get a confirmation cancellation notice by mail or email from attdirectv to return the equipment?  I cancelled 11 days ago and if i have 22 days  to return the equipment...22 days from cancellation or 22 days from the date they send me my final bill and instruct me how to return the equipment?          Thank you.
Message 81 of 111
ACE - Expert

When you voluntarily close your account, you choose the last day of service (within 30 days like most other companies). You have to wait until the day after the last day of service, as you cannot return equipment on an account that is still open. That is the start of your 21 day return time frame.

Just make sure you close the account voluntarily, as a past due suspension that goes far enough to be canceled for non-payment by Directv, usually means any non return fees (NRF) or early cancellation fees (ECF) are charged immediately as the account has already been inactive for some time even though not fully closed. Most likely would encourage someone to pay the past due bill so that the account could be reinstated, which would reverse the NRF and ECF as they would no longer apply at that point.

When you take the boxes to the FedEx or UPS store (make sure they participate in the return program before going), you should get a receipt and a tracking number for your own records.

Message 82 of 111
Contributor

I cancelled my Direct TV on July 11, 2018.  At that time I was told by the DirecTV customer service person that I would receive a letter explaining how to return my equipment.  On July 18th I rec'd an email stating that I needed to take my equipment to any UPS or FedEx store.  I rec'd the email at about 1pm on July 18th and was standing in the fedex store at about 7pm the same night having my 3 receivers scanned and receiving my receipt showing my equipment has been returned.  On the email that was sent by DirecTV it said if the equipment is not returned within 21 calendar days from my service being disconnected I would be billed a non-returned equipment fee.  My equipment was sent back using FEDEX 8 calendar days after my service was cancelled.

Today August13th I came home to find a bill in my mailbox from AT&T wanting to charge me for 3 unreturned receivers!  I called Directv and spent the better part of 20 to 30 minutes on hold while the customer service rep called their receiving department to see if my equipment has been received.  Finally, she came back on the phone to tell me that it takes about a month or longer for the equipment to show up as received!  This looks a little bit like a scam to me.  Yes, I have my receipt from FEDEX showing the 3 receivers were sent with the date, time, and reference numbers.  I wonder how many people have been "incorrectly" charged for equipment that wasn't returned?  I switched from Directv back to cable and now I'm even happier that I did.  My cable bill will be less than directv, I get a better channel selection including PAC 12 football which directv doesn't even have plans to add.

Sorry Directv - I'm not impressed with your equipment return process!  Now I'm waiting for Directv to find my "correctly" shipped equipment - 8 days after my account was cancelled before they'll take these charges off.

Message 83 of 111
ACE - Expert

@notimpressed25

A month or longer?? That agent was not correct. May take up to 2 business days to allow fully logged in, equipment condition checked, see if unbilled PPVs are on the access card, and logging the account as return complete. Longer than that I would expect low staffing, system issue, or around some holidays where delivery takes longer or more upgrades at a similar time (people home more in winter, gift for the family, etc.). But over a month would be outrageous.

To note this is a new return process implemented by AT&T around the turn of the year. Before that Directv's return process had not changed in over 15 years at least when they went to the 'lease' model getting the boxes back. Since some agents have been quoting the old return process still, I wonder if they have an influx of returns that are starting to catch up as more and more customers are getting the info on how the new return process works.

Directv does have PAC-12 football games, as many games were sold off to various networks. What they do not have is the PAC-12 network which carries some (not all) games. Just to be clear for anyone who needs that info. Though the PAC-12 network has wanted all Directv viewers (regardless of specific sports interests) to pay for it resulting in the standoff these past few years, since another of AT&T's services (Uverse TV) has the channel this may give possibility to another negotiation attempt down the road (I wouldn't hold my breath though). http://directvpromise.com/pac-12-update/

Message 84 of 111

So are you sending my boxes to return the equipment? that's all I need to know. They told me when I had it shut off they would be sending the boxes.

Message 85 of 111
ACE - Expert

@maggiemay1 wrote:

So are you sending my boxes to return the equipment? that's all I need to know. They told me when I had it shut off they would be sending the boxes.

They no longer send boxes.  You're supposed to take the equipment to a UPS or FedEx shipping center, along with your account number, and they'll return it.  Just be sure to keep the tracking information to prove that you shipped it. 

Message 86 of 111
ACE - Expert

@maggiemay1 wrote:

No we are not sending you anything as we are customers like yourself. Sending boxes to the customer is the old Directv process anyway. Directv as of the turn of the year no longer sends return boxes. Instead you now take your boxes to a participating UPS (not USPS) or FedEx location. Call the shipper first as not all locations participate in the program.

That is if they are returnable models in the first place. What models are your boxes?

Message 87 of 111
Contributor

I called DirectTv to cancel my acct and services after only having it for 10 days. I was told I would receive boxes with prepaid labels, which have never come. At that time I was told to take the boxes (I never received) to Fedex. Plus they were going to charge us $480. for breaking their contract!! I signed up with them thru door to door sellers and by law you have 30 days to cancel. They said they don't do that! I called today about the boxes for the equip. and was told to take the receiver, remotes, wires and Genies to UPS and they will box it all up and ship it to where it should go. I sure hope I don't get a blank stare as some have. 

Message 88 of 111
ACE - Expert

@ga4226 wrote:

I called DirectTv to cancel my acct and services after only having it for 10 days. I was told I would receive boxes with prepaid labels, which have never come. At that time I was told to take the boxes (I never received) to Fedex. Plus they were going to charge us $480. for breaking their contract!! I signed up with them thru door to door sellers and by law you have 30 days to cancel. They said they don't do that! I called today about the boxes for the equip. and was told to take the receiver, remotes, wires and Genies to UPS and they will box it all up and ship it to where it should go. I sure hope I don't get a blank stare as some have. 

Hmmmm, you've got some bad information ....

1. The process for returning equipment after you cancel is to take the equipment and your account number to a UPS or FedEx Shipping Center. They'll box it up and return it.  No box or labels needed from DirecTV (that was the old process).  Be sure to get return shipment proof/tracking.

2. You don't have 30-days to cancel a DirecTV contract.  You only have 24 hours.  That's why you owe the full amount for the early termination fee.  Not sure where you got the 30-day information. 

Message 89 of 111
Contributor

I was able to finally have my issue resolved by actually chatting online vs. calling them for a 3rd time. By chatting I was able to find out that the actually did show that something was sent by fedex under my name, but there was not detail as to what equipment, etc. had been received in El Paso, Tx. The person for Direct TV that I was chatting with was able to credit my account for the "missing" equipment. The craziest thing about shipping my equipment back using FEDEX was that FEDEX couldn't even provide me a tracking number when I went back to them to verify that my equipment had been received. I'm over it now, happy to have cable TV. Just got 14" of snow during the past two days - didn't miss having to go out and clean off my dish 4 or 5 times so I could watch TV - I'll stick with Cable for now.
Message 90 of 111
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support