Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Returning Direct TV equipment

Contributor

Returning Direct TV equipment

How do I receive the box and shipping label to return the Direct TV Equipment?

Thank you,

Mike

Message 1 of 111
Tutor

Re: Returning Direct TV equipment

Same issue as most. Cancelled service and contacted and been told twice I would receive a return Kit which I have never received. Was also told I would receive a final bill after returning equip. Now I have received a collection letter stating I owe over $200. I'm filing a lawsuit thus week. I've seen so many complaints over this same topic.

Message 46 of 111
ACE - Expert

AT&T has changed DTV's return policy to theirs you have to take them and your account info to a participating UPS/FedEx store.    

You can't you agreed to binding arbitration when you signed the work order. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 111
Tutor

Well we'll see about that. They are the ones that too me they were sending return kits. And then a final bill. And now I receive a collection notice because they are at fault,damaging my credit and so on. 

Message 48 of 111

I cancelled DIRECTV March 20, 2018, as a result of a billing dispute i will not get into here.    I was told by the account manager that, because i possessed old equipment and I live in Colorado, I could simply directly recycle my four boxes by dropping them off at goodwill - per the website:  http://www.directv.com/recycle, which provides a redirect to  http://www.goodwilldenver.org/dtvcustomer/   I called goodwill and was told i could recycle electronic equipment by dropping at any donation center.  so i dropped my boxes off.  I then got an email stating that i must drop my receivers off at a fedex or UPS store to avoid $135 fee per box (i have four boxes) if the receivers have not been received by AT&T within 21 days.   i have since been reading with interest, the long list of internet posts entitled 'Equipment Return Scams'.    I will make sure to check my final bill closely when it comes.  I will update here.  

UPDATE #1.  i called DTV Customer Service, told the above story.  They of course have no notation on my account regarding recycling my boxes with Goodwill, suggested that i attempt to get the boxes back from Goodwill (a ridiculous suggestion).  After being on hold for 20 minutes I was told that they were going to honor my report by 'ESCALATING' my issue to AT&T RETENTION, and transferred me.  AT&T initially informed me that DIRECTV deals with the equipment issues related to DIRECTV.  I informed AT&T that it was AT&T that actually cancelled my account (based on the earlier billing dispute), it was AT&T that instructed that i recycle equipment with Goodwill, and it was AT&T that sent the later email regarding return of the equipment.  AFter another 20 minutes on hold, i was told that i would not be charged a return fee, and that i would receive a confirmation email stating that, within 5 to 10 business days.  (I am skeptical - i have been blatantly and repeatedly lied to (see reference to earlier billing dispute - and, how can it possibly take 5 to 10 business days to send an email?)  

Message 49 of 111
ACE - Expert

@CoSpringsUser

The 5 to 10 days is not sending the email, but the back office processing the escalation request before email is sent. Essentially they are having it reviewed for any authorization of waiving NRFs or such.

AT&T has been updating DirecTV's return procedures. So sometimes an auto notification about the 21 day return time frame goes out, regardless if your boxes are returnable or not. What are the model numbers of the boxes you had? (if you made note before dropping them off or if confirmed model numbers listed on the account from the DirecTV agent)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 50 of 111

I made note of the serial numbers. These were six year old boxes not
either of the ‘genie’ gen models.

Message 51 of 111
ACE - Expert

Model numbers are what matter as serial number, just like access card and receiver ID (RID), just identify the box as your specific one. Ok so you didn't have any of the 5 Genie models (HR34, H44, HR44, HR54, and new Genie-2 HS17) and so no Mini Genie Clients (any model starting with C). Unless you had the most current HD non-DVR (H25) which like the Genies is SWM only, any other box is pretty much non-returnable.

I would keep an eye on the bill to be sure, but I think the email was just automated out of the system and so was not up to date on returnable models.

Message 52 of 111

Thanks, that is helpful. I will watch for the closing bill and advise.

Message 53 of 111
ACE - Expert

You will get a bill that says "Final Bill" and something like "Sorry to see you go" type of message on it. This is produced immediately after the last day of service, so before the end of the 21 day return time. A courtesy statement would go out the following month to show balance paid in full, or refund issued if there was a credit balance remaining, to show the account at a $0 balance for your records. If you had any returnable models that they did not get back, this courtesy statement would show any non return fees (NRF). So if that statement doesn't have a NRF you are good to go recycling the boxes is the right option (though preferably without the access card so you can dispose of it similar to a credit card).

Message 54 of 111
Teacher

Can you give me the address or phone number for the FCC or Attorney General as I'm having the same issue and cannot find anyone that can help. My credit is taking a hit bc of them continually billing me!

Message 55 of 111
Teacher

Thomas, I understand you are an employee. I'm not sure if you have seen ALL the issues with returning equipment but maybe you can get someone who knows something to answer the questions we all have. It's apparent the return process is a huge issue for your EX-customers.

There's now a reason we are all leaving. Your CS is awful. I am being billed bc you can't get me a recovery kit that has been asked for 5 times since January. I am taking this to our local news first then to the FCC or somewhere someone can get this under control!

Message 56 of 111
ACE - Expert

@gills11

Thomas posted last year. So you would need to use the @ symbol with name to reference him if he is still in the forum.

AT&T changed DirecTV's return process which is what is causing the problem both in info given by agents and notifications from the system. Essentially they no longer send return kits. Now you take your boxes with your account number to reference to a 'participating' FedEx or The UPS Store (not USPS) for the free return. Too many agents instruct they old way they are used to, and some even get an email claiming a return kit has been sent but with a non existent tracking number (99999) as there is none. I get why the process was changed, but the transition is far from smooth.

Message 57 of 111
Teacher

I get that as I was given those instructions in a letter telling me to ignore all other details on the return. I did go to the UPS and the FedEX locations and were told my account number is inactive and they couldn't return my equipment. BOTH UPS and FedEX cannot be wrong. I contacted DirectTV and that's where all this started. Different reps and supervisors telling me different things. I'm still sitting on a bill and have the equipment that I am desperately trying to return!!! You basically aren't telling me anything I don't already know or haven't already experienced.

Message 58 of 111
ACE - Expert

Of course your account is canceled/deactivated before you can return them, that is why you need to return them so UPS/FedEx is wrong.

Message 59 of 111
Teacher

Not correct. Even the rep said it should work. They even suggested putting a 0 in front of my account number. It still works when I call in so why wouldn't it work when I go to return it. They need to keep the account opened for billing purposes. But it's not if you want to pay the bill. It won't come up for me or UPS/FedEX. This whole process is jacked up!

Message 60 of 111
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support