Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Returning Direct TV equipment

Contributor

Returning Direct TV equipment

How do I receive the box and shipping label to return the Direct TV Equipment?

Thank you,

Mike

Message 1 of 111
ACE - Expert

@ga4226 

Return boxes are only sent in the event that your service address is considered too far away from a participating shipper. Otherwise you take the boxes to FedEx of UPS (not USPS) for your free return. Not all of their locations participate in the return program, so I would call first to be sure.

DirecTV has 24 hours from install before the agreement is secured. So after 10 days of service the ECF would be correct.

Door-to-door salespeople are 3rd party sellers that send new orders to other companies. Always be cautious and check the order confirmation as these people tend to say whatever they want to make a sale.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 91 of 111
Tutor

I have had a cable box on my living room floor for two or three years. I
was sent a return box, but it did not include a label. I made a number of
calls to get one, and was continually promised a label, but none ever
came.. I called and asked for an address that I could write down myself,
but was refused for what reason I know not.

This was most frustrating, and I almost pitched the thing out. The address
of this cable box was and is: ***** Reidsville, NC. 27320. If
you are communicating with me now because of this piece of equipment, you
are welcome to it. Send a label.

Eloise [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 92 of 111
ACE - Expert

@eloisepoe 

This is still a public customer to customer forum. When a thread that you participated in gets a new post, you are automatically sent an email notice. If you do not want to receive them, then log into your forum account and update your profile settings. You still get notifications when you are specifically mentioned (like I did here as was directly responding to your post and didn't want it confused with others as this thread has grown). 

As has been mentioned several times, the return process changed over a year ago. Even if you were sent a return box like the old process, taking to a participating FedEx or UPS store (again, not USPS) would have taken care of your free return. If this is the situation you were mentioning from last March where it sounded like you paid a non-return fee (NRF), then it would most likely be far too late to change that outcome.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 93 of 111
Tutor

Thanks. I did pay somebody a non-return fee, but I don't remember who it
was, or why they thought I had not returned something. I just paid it,
because I needed their service in a second home. I don't know the
relationship between AT&T and Direct TV. I hate Cable because I don't
understand it, pay way too much for it, and cannot get any satisfaction
whatsoever on my well-justified complaints.

Incidentally, the box I now have on my living room floor in Reidsville, NC,
could not be taken to a participating FEDEX or UPS because there is none
within 50 miles of the place. There are deposit boxes around, but these
are too small to take a big box. You have to go to a Mailbox type of
place, and pay them to do whatever.
Message 94 of 111
ACE - Expert

@eloisepoe 

The relationship between DirecTV and AT&T is that AT&T as of a couple years ago is now their owner. The sides are still run separately, but DirecTV does now fall under the AT&T umbrella.

If you do not understand a service (DirecTV, Uverse, Cable, etc.) and what info you get from their customer care doesn't make sense, then you can discuss with other customers in that company's forum for assistance. Since DirecTV is now dealing with a lot of agents who are from the AT&T side (so new to DirecTV service), sometimes long term customers can be a better source of information.

Yes with the shipper being 50 miles away that would result in a return box like the old process for DirecTV. Sometimes the return label is behind the initial shipping label for convenience. Hopefully for any company you have returns for in the future it goes easier.

Message 95 of 111
Contributor

Thanks for your insight. It is helpful to me.
Message 96 of 111
Contributor

Thank you, your information is helpful. I guarantee I will never deal with
AT&T or DirectTV again. Their customer service is terrible! Although most
of them are probably as confused as the customers are. Smiley Wink
Message 97 of 111
ACE - Expert

I believe the biggest issue is having those who came over from the AT&T side who are not as familiar with the differences from AT&T services, or mix up the two when quoting information, and of course any new employees who are trained by them as well. Over time it should get better, but I feel that it should be a bit quicker in improvements than it has been.

Message 98 of 111
Highlighted
Contributor

When I asked about a return label they acted like I didn’t know what I was talking about .

Message 99 of 111
ACE - Expert

@respect2019 wrote:

When I asked about a return label they acted like I didn’t know what I was talking about .

DirecTV does not provide return labels. In fact they changed the return process over a year ago.

You take returnable receiver/client boxes with their access cards to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS). They box it up for you and everything. Just have your account number for reference and keep the receipt showing they took possession and the tracking number.

If your service address is too far away from a participating shipper then DirecTV will use the old process which is shipping you a pre-paid return box.

However that is only if the boxes are returnable of course. What are the models of the boxes that are no longer active that you are trying to return?

Message 100 of 111

@Juniper 

My HR54-200 could no longer recognize access cards, they sent me a replacement HR54 but without a remote, will they charge me if I return the original HR54 without the remote, if so how much?

Also the links provided show only UPS Stores in my area, what about actual UPS Customer Centers, can you drop off with your account number at these official centers? I only ask because they don't list these types at the upsstore link provided by ATT.

Message 101 of 111
ACE - Expert

@gordongekko99 

Remote is yours and gets used with the replacement box.

Must be a full UPS store as normally the smaller shipping centers do not participate in the return program. So the links provided should only show participating locations.

Make sure to keep receipt showing they took possession. Though the process has been in place just over a year, there have been a few who have experienced delays with the account counting the return.

Message 102 of 111
Tutor

Hi Everybody, 

I am about to cut the cord - just looking to see if these receivers I have will need to be returned. According to Directv I have two HD receivers model H24-100 and one HD DVR Tivo THR22-100. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.   \o/

I have been a Directv customer for about 20 years. I am retiring this year and need to budget some things out.  My Directv bill during football season with the football package was about 230 dollars and at 170 non football months.  I only watched the red zone channel mainly anyways for football and found I can get that for 10 dollars a month during football season on one of the streaming tv sites. 

So probably going with one of the streaming services.

Will miss Directv a little bit but saving 120 to 180 a month eases the pain. lol

Thank you for any help 

Message 103 of 111
ACE - Expert

Both are non returnable.  You can take them to an E-waste center or go to this website to get a shipping label to return them.

https://www.goodwilldenver.org/dtvcustomer/

Message 104 of 111
Tutor

Thank you - Are you absolutely sure about the TIVO DVR THR22-100? Not having to be sent back in?

Think I had one guy bad about a year or 2 ago and I was thinking that they were going to send me an upgraded TIVO........nope same exact TIVO model I got back in 2012 the THR22-100. I was all like whaaaaaaaaa... They are still sending these out? How is that possible lol

Message 105 of 111
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support