Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Returning Direct TV equipment

Contributor

Returning Direct TV equipment

How do I receive the box and shipping label to return the Direct TV Equipment?

Thank you,

Mike

Message 1 of 111
ACE - Expert

Re: Returning Direct TV equipment

Sounds like FedEx (to you) is only used if the old return process. If you are in one of the area with the new process you use UPS.

AT&T agents used to one way, Directv agents used to another. Now AT&T is changing the Directv return process which is tripping up agents and customers. I will be glad when AT&T no longer needs to change anything on the Directv side specifically as a result of the merger and it will be easier for all of us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 111
Contributor

How do I get a return box sent to me so that I can return all the equipment that we are not using since we have went to a another company?

Message 32 of 111
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm still not getting an answer to my question. I need a box and a return label to send this equipment back to Direct TV. I was told to use UPS but that's all. What do I do after locating a UPS office>

Message 33 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP PLEASE!

I have been trying to quit my 4.5 yr DirecTV since Dec 13.  Told to call back on 26th if no boxes received.  Called to report no boxes and found my account had never been cancelled.  Cancelled it again 12/26/17.  Began calling again Monday 1/8 - NO BOXES.  Asked operator (keeping all names and employee numbers) to check on return status of receiver HR34-700 and client C31-700 assuming they want back. Operator said don't worry the boxes should arrive - only concerned about trying to resign me!  Received an envelope for card return on 1/9 - says use if no boxes show up.  DVR less than 5 yrs old.

I have saved all orig packaging and photographed "ready to return" product.  There is almost no way to get it back within 21 days unless I air mail immediately, and I don't want them crashing my credit card.  Who can I find at customer service to give me address and instructions to force a quick return?  Do you have any names?  I am starting a twitter account to get this documented with photos on line @DirecTV, @AT&T, and regulatory agencies ....if necessary.  Feels like a possible set up.

Please advise!  I was thinking DirecTV Now was in my future but that was before this experience.

Message 34 of 111
ACE - Expert

HR34 is the 1st generation Genie and is a non returnable model as of a couple years ago (they had to greatly redesign it per limitations it had). The C31 is the 1st Mini Genie Client so most likely is non returnable as well, but I would call Directv 1-800-531-5000 as they can check it against their current returnable list.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top notch advice, Juniper!  I called the number you provided, got a friendly operator, Richard, who took my information and confirmed that the H34 DVR and C31 client are indeed extinct models and they only want my access card back.  He gave me his badge number and guarantee that I would not be charged.  Great service, Richard!

All that stressing out over nothing - most likely.  Juniper has salvaged my confidence in trying DirecTV Now in the future, ...just as soon as they add a cloud DVR.

Thanks!

Message 36 of 111
ACE - Expert

You're welcome. In the case of closing an account, I wish more agents were proactive on checking the model numbers to give you a heads up. Just drop those boxes (without access card of course) at whatever local electronic recycling you have. If you don't have anything convenient you can go to www.driectv.com/recycle as you can get a prepaid shipping box for recycling if needed.

Good luck with trying DirectvNOW. I'm not very familiar with it myself other than it being a internet streaming only service with no interaction with traditional Directv and the service just reached 1 yr old as of last month. So at least keep in mind the service most likely still has some growing to do.

Message 37 of 111
Contributor

EXACTLY my situation except I've been trying since early January 2018. Assured several times I was receiving boxes to return equipment but no boxes ever arrived at old address. My new address is 300 miles away. Equipment still sitting in my spare bedroom. Gave new address where boxes should be shipped several times with no success. Directv is trying to blame me saying boxes probably went to my old address. Monday 2/5/18 was assured boxes would be priority shipped to my correct address within 3 days...you guessed it, still no boxes. Was told by one directv agent that they no longer ship boxes and I was to return the equipment to nearest UPS facility. Gave me a shipping number of 999999. Told me to literally hand equipment to worker at UPS facility and they would box up my stuff and ship. Further told me that if worker there gave me any problems to use my cell, call directv and they would "take care of it." Called the UPS facility which is a local Ace Hardware store where the gentleman said he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, had no boxes, that they had been participating in this program for a month and said the directv agent was lying to me regarding how to return equipment. Said he needed boxes and labels. This directv agent from Monday 2/5 also said she emailed her supervisor who would get back with me regarding my issue. No email. Of course my directv account will be charged for non return of equipment as I closed it and canceled service on January 22, 2018 and it will be 3 weeks on February 12. I am frustrated beyond belief with this situation.

Message 38 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patricia.  Have you verified that the equipment numbers you have are actually returnable?  All the time the agents kept telling me return boxes had been mailed to me, they hadn't, because AT&T had retired my models and didn't want them back.  I never found an agent trained well enough to suggest this until Juniper solved this mystery in this forum.  I then called and asked for a manager to confirm my equipment was extinct and unreturnable -  and he did just that.

Message 39 of 111
ACE - Expert

@PatriciaS73

AT&T has been changing the return procedures and has been causing some confusion.

Traditional way: Directv sends you a return box by FedEx to your physical service address. Includes prepaid label to send back by USPS (not UPS). In the case of a move it is possible they could accidently send to the old address. In that event they would just need to resend with the new address.

New way: In select areas Directv refers you to a participating FedEx or UPS (not USPS) store within reasonable distance (10 miles?). Just need the boxes and your account number as the shipper provides labeling and boxes at that time. Keep receipt and tracking number as this is a new process.

However, what are the model numbers of the boxes you have? Perhaps they are not returnable. I agree it would help if more agents looked that up proactively instead of quoting the general process.

Message 40 of 111
Tutor

I was able to return my equipment by taking it to The UPS Store, not just a
UPS authorized shipper. The UPS Store ask me my name and account number,
looked it up on the computer, scanned the barcodes on the equipment and
gave me a receipt. I had to drive 40 miles to The UPS Store, but it worked.
Message 41 of 111
ACE - Expert

That is definitely the new process. However, 40 miles? That sounds too far away to be a reasonable distance in my book. Were you referred to that store by Directv?

Message 42 of 111
Tutor

I live in a small town. There are UPS and FedEx shippers here but not an
official "THE UPS STORE". DirecTV did not refer my. They were no help at
all.
Message 43 of 111
ACE - Expert

If it is only the main "UPS Store" as opposed to authorized UPS shippers, then I hope they keep the traditional method in place for those that don't have one close. Otherwise that is an unreasonable expectation from AT&T for Directv returns.

Message 44 of 111
Tutor

Good luck with that proper return process.  Good luck with getting to a CSR, as the recorded message does not offer an option for returning equipment.  Indeed, the closest thing I've found for actual communication is this forum, for which I had to sign up because my AT&T ID was not recognized.  The problem is that I have paid them for the equipment, expecting to get a mailing label that they left out of the return kit (the return kit was a box); and they had installed equipment at the new address, but would not turn on the service until I paid for the equipment, so I paid.  Now I cannot get in touch with anybody.      

Message 45 of 111
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support