Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Replace equipment.

Tutor

Replace equipment.

Email stating that after 20 Nov 20, no longer able to view basic programming with current equipment. Called ATT and felt like I was giving the run around. Saying that I would be charged for an upgrade that I feel is not needed. My current equipment works fine. I have an International package including Basic (local only), No movie, sports or other misc channels. It would surely help if someone could clear the water for me.

I have 1 Dish and 2 receivers.

Dish - 18" round

Receiver  - D12/100

D12/100

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by degreef
‎11-29-2019 9:07 AM

@degreef wrote:

Email stating that after 20 Nov 20, no longer able to view basic programming with current equipment. Called ATT and felt like I was giving the run around. Saying that I would be charged for an upgrade that I feel is not needed. My current equipment works fine. I have an International package including Basic (local only), No movie, sports or other misc channels. It would surely help if someone could clear the water for me.

I have 1 Dish and 2 receivers.

Dish - 18" round

Receiver  - D12/100

D12/100

Don't let them sell you on an "upgrade". They are indeed providing a FREE SWAP program (key word is "swap", not "upgrade"). Your D12s should be replaced by H25 HD Receivers, along with a new satellite dish. You don't need to upgrade to DVRs or Genie equipment if you don't want to.

Call them again: 1 800 531 5000

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

Thank You.

Message 3 of 13
Contributor

This sounds like my predicament.  Received the same email.   Currently have Basic TV with Korea Direct and Protection Plan for a total of $64.97. I have called several times and am being  told I will receive a Genie at no cost and no extra monthly charges.   Today I finally ordered the install and I received a confirmation email which not only included an extra $23 a month but also mentioned a 2 Year Agreement.  I have cancelled the order. 

The original email stated that there was "No added cost" so I am trying to figure out what I need to say to avoid any additional monthly fees.  I already mentioned I did not need the Genie.

Is there a way for me to avoid the monthly HD and DVR charges?  ($20)  and 2 year agreement?

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

There is no such thing as  a SWAP. I just got my 'order email'. 2 yr service agreement and an extra $23 a month. On the phone again now to cancel my order. Wish they would be more honest on the front end. They make it sound like a bowl of cherries. In the end you are in the pits.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Expert

@degreef wrote:

There is no such thing as  a SWAP. I just got my 'order email'. 2 yr service agreement and an extra $23 a month. On the phone again now to cancel my order. Wish they would be more honest on the front end. They make it sound like a bowl of cherries. In the end you are in the pits.

Sure there is. That agent was mistaken.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 13
ACE - Expert

@degreef 

There is such a thing as a swap. They had it years ago for areas that changed to MPEG-4 locals, and have it now again as all remaining MPEG-2 feeds are being shutdown (since April 2019).

It depends on model of boxes if you qualify for the MPEG swap. It is also imperative that the agent place the order correctly as the swap, and not an optional upgrade.

If you have any D or R models (or older), then you qualify for a swap. If all your models start with H (including special TiVO THR22) or C then you already are fully MPEG-4. (R22 qualifies for a swap, but as is MPEG-4 as from early adopter areas, might be able to keep depending on rest of setup).

SWAP is free, no new service agreement, and any normal new monthly costs are credited monthly as is a required change. Upgrade comes with 24 month service agreement, even if equipment is free, may have new monthly costs depending on what you upgrade to. Most common issue is an agent who in error places an upgrade order instead of the required swap. So if order confirmation reflects upgrade, then you call back and have the order rebuilt as the correct swap before you accept install. Once installed you accept order as shown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 7 of 13
Tutor

Years ago they were Directv. Now it is ATT. Big difference. My money does not grow on trees. I have cancelled my order. Thank you for the help.

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

After I cancelled my order, I still got a 3:43 AM message reminding me of my appointment.  I called this morning to verify the cancellation and was told to ignore the email.  I then asked the agent if he had ever heard of a "swap" or had ever done one at no additional cost or commitment and he put me on mute.  I knew he could still hear me so I just told him I would take that as a no and never mind.  ATT lost 1.3 million customers in Q3 2019 so they need the cash.  The focus is now increasing the average revenue per customer.   I don't fault ATT for trying to make money, but if I am entitled to a free "swap", then give it to me. Years ago, I needed the Directv to get the International content....now, Comcast has it too.

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

@degreef wrote:

Years ago they were Directv. Now it is ATT. Big difference. My money does not grow on trees. I have cancelled my order. Thank you for the help.

No difference in the option available. As the MPEG-2 feeds are shutting down, MPEG swaps are free as is required to continue using service. The problem is some agents are not placing the order correctly and doing an upgrade instead when not needed.

If you have canceled the order, without having the correct one placed, then be prepared that any outdated MPEG-2 models will soon be unusable when the shutdown hits your area.

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

@JustDaFacts 

New agent or outsourced if they had to ask about swap. Agents need to be better trained on this as the swap is critical in the coming months as the shutdown completes.

Call DirecTV back and when you get the voice system say "cancel" as experienced retention agents should be very familiar with the swap program.

D12 being the last MPEG-2 non-DVR made definitely needs replacing. The equivalent swap would be H25. However it sounds like from a lot of swaps needed, and not too long ago making all non-SWM boxes non-returnable, they may be low on stock. So some have gotten a MPEG swap for a Genie with Mini Genie Client. Either way as long as processed as swap, there is no service agreement and the new monthly services do receive some ongoing credits wiping them out. Even with a retention agent, verify the order confirmation received to make absolutely sure.

Also a new receiving dish will be installed as the 18" round was just MPEG-2 as well.

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

I appreciate the help provided here. Dealing with ATT is another issue. Calling back numerous times I am told there is no SWAP just upgrading. Even telling them to CANCEL gets the same response. I am just going to keep what I have. 6 months or so when the service is cut out. I will be going elsewhere for service.

Message 12 of 13
ACE - Expert

As it is a rolling shutdown, the MPEG swap may not be available to everyone all at once but rolled out in batches in line with the shutdown schedule. That really should be the only reason they only have an upgrade as an option. This is simply my theory as I don't have direct knowledge of the schedule and how much equipment is in stock.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support