what does a receiver reset do?

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Tolterry
‎02-11-2018 12:23 PM

Re: Receiver refresh vs receiver reset

Receiver reset (red button) rechecks internal settings, refreshes memory, and rechecks info from satellite. It does not delete or change any settings you have, just a reset like any other device. Unlike pulling the power for at least 15 seconds, it does not dump the guide data or full clear any residual memory. Be aware in the menu there is a "Reset Everything" which puts the box back to default status like when you got it, resetting all settings and erasing all your recordings. That last option is only used as a last resort in troubleshooting, or if some people like to clear it when relocating to a different room and have no carry over from one user (such as getting an upgrade, but moving existing box to a kids room) to another.

Refresh is logging into your account on the website and requests a signal sent down to "refresh" the service authorizations to your box. Makes sure your box has the up to date info on all the channels and services (HD, DVR, etc) it is authorized for. This only is done as part of some troubleshooting steps, or if you get a message on the screen specifically saying to refresh. As a note regarding any "Genie" system, the refresh to the Genie counts for all the Clients as they are just extensions of the main box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
Tutor

Thank you for explaining the differences. Could you elaborate about dumping
the guide data? I have a problem (which has been reported but not solved)
with one channel (NBC 4) missing program data which prevents me from
recording anything on that channel. I did a reset but maybe would have been
better off unplugging for 15 seconds?
Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Tolterry, that won't fix your issue with Ch4.  That's a Guide data issue that DirecTV is aware of and working on. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Tolterry

If it is just you having the issue, then a dump of the guide data could take care of it. However if it is part of the known issue that @litzdog911 mentions, it would not fix it as the problem is with the info that is sent in the first place not what your box is thinking after receiving it.

Message 5 of 15
Tutor

Thank UYou again
Message 6 of 15
Tutor

Thank You
Message 7 of 15
Contributor

On Sunday night, the NBC channel programs are recorded about 30 minutes into the programming, so we always miss the end of those shows. Will refreshing the receiver help with that? We just quit trying to record them last season.

Message 8 of 15
Contributor

It's been doing the same type crap with me. Also, it won't show me ALL of my recordings. (only sometimes)

Not even if I put it on “all recordings”. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 15
Contributor

Maddening. Select LIST and only a partial display of my recordings is available. That display changes day to day.

Message 10 of 15
Tutor

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. I'm only moving main box to my room and the box in my room to a child's.

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

How to reset Directv Receiver or Box

1. You find a small red button inside the access card door on your Directv receiver.

2. Press on the small red reset button and wait some minutes until your Directv Reciever to complete the rebooting process.

3.You can also use the unplug and restore the factory settings methods for resetting directv receiver.

Message 12 of 15
Contributor

Tried all the refresh and reset options none worked. I think I need a new reciever upgrade.

Message 13 of 15
ACE - Expert

@jskmvdq wrote:

Tried all the refresh and reset options none worked. I think I need a new reciever upgrade.

Give us more details about your equipment and problem symptoms and we can advise if you need a replacement.

DVR/Receiver model number?

Exact problem symptoms?

What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

Message 14 of 15
ACE - Expert

@jskmvdq wrote:

You don't upgrade because of a technical issue. You warranty replace the box, if needed.

What are the model of your boxes? Please describe what actual problem you are having. This is your only post so we have no idea until you give us something to go on.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support