Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Receiver Upgrade?

Highlighted
Contributor

Receiver Upgrade?

I signed up for directv in early 2016.  I believe I have the HR34 receiver, plus two of the genies.  I did upgrade a genie last winter when we got a 4K TV.  I’m wondering if I’m overdue for an updated of some kind on the main receiver and/or the other genie.  I’m noticing some quality issues coming through—not really pixelating—more a slow motion, or robotic look to movements.  Any thoughts or suggestions regarding if I should be looking to updated equipment, and if so what to? 

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Receiver Upgrade?

Do you still have the HR34 Genie DVR? They're junk.  You really want an HR54 Genie DVR.  And, along with that, a C61K 4K Mini Genie so you can get 4K channels on your 4K TV.  Do NOT upgrade to the HS17 Genie Server. Still too buggy. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎06-01-2018 10:24 AM

@Gja.sea_2001

The HR34 is the 1st generation Genie, greatly surpassed by the later models. Sounds like you have 2 Mini Genie Clients for your other TVs. With getting a 4K TV you have a couple options to get more out of your service and equipment.

Option 1: Do a 4K upgrade on a Mini Genie Client which will get you the C61K. The tech would have to swap your main Genie to the 3rd generation (HR54) to be compatible. The C61K ends up on the 4K TV itself. This gains a better Genie and the two 4K channels (3 if you count the PPV).

Option 2: Warranty replace the Genie (just $19.95 delivery if you don't have the optional protection plan). This would get you either the HR44 or HR54. That is fine as the HR54's only extra benefit is supporting the 4K Client. Upgrade a Mini Genie to a HDDVR. So in addition to gaining a better Genie, you get a full receiver that has 2 tuners (instead of stealing one from the Genie like a Client), 500GB recording space, and independent processing which can take some load of the Genie. Plus Clients cannot work without the Genie so they go down if the Genie is every unplugged, but HDDVR would still work.

There is no monthly cost difference between either option. The recordings are encrypted to your Genie so do not transfer to a replacement, so make sure you are comfortably caught up first. In both cases the replacement Genie will have a faster processor, more efficient cooling resulting in a sleeker design, and supports MobileDVR. If it matters Caller ID on TV is dropped going forward per the GUI update, which HR54 and forward don't have the phone jack anyway.

If an agent offers the Genie-2 (HS17), do not accept. Forbids HDDVRs and still buggy from launch. A regular Genie with 2 HDDVRs, or a 4K Client instead of 1 HDDVR, would be a much more reliable setup.

If you consider the 4K option, here is more info you need.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Master

i think the hr34 is the best genie out there at the moment

it still has the old gui

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

@mdram4x4 wrote:

i think the hr34 is the best genie out there at the moment

it still has the old gui

Really?!?  The HR34 is a dog.  Its processor is underpowered to handle even the old GUI software.  I was so happy the day I replaced mine with an HR44.  And even with the new GUI, my HR44 is snappier than my HR34 ever was. 

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

HR34 is well-known for being slow and overheating. It was fine when first released, but updates under the previous GUI were more than it could handle. Directv increased the processing power while redesigning the box and cooling options which resulted in the HR44 and later the HR54.

Once the GUI receives the following updates to smooth it out, it will be fine on the newer boxes. Runs quite well on my HR44 now, just some slight changes in options I would like such as being able to turn off the auto info box in the recording list so you can have just a list view.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support