Helpful Links

Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

Contributor

Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

I just got off of the phone with "technical" support.  We tried every "trick" that she had to get the receiver connected to the internet to no avail.  Of course I tried everything that she suggested before I even called but no dice.  I'm connecting via ethernet, she insisted that I needed to buy a cinema connection kit (note that it was connected a week ago, the last time that I used the receiver's DOD services.)

I tried setting static IP address, setting the correct subnet, correct DNS, correct gateway, resetting the receiver...still nothing.  The dhcp client in the receiver returns a 169.254.8.1/16 (255.255.0.0) with no fields set in the DNS or gateway settings.  I unplugged the ethernet (while on the phone) from the receiver and plugged into my laptop, connection was present with no problem.  I'm starting to believe that the receiver itself has some issues since it's the only component having issues connecting.

Is there something that I, or the CSR, missed?

Message 1 of 53
Employee

Re: Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Do you also have WHDVR?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 53
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.

The model number is HR34-700.  I'm assuming WHDVR is whole home DVR?  If so, then yes, I have the "server" and two "clients."

**issue posting with that username for some reason

Message 3 of 53
Employee

How are you trying to connect the HR34 to the internet?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 53
Teacher

The connection is directly coming from my AT&T Uverse Modem (Motorola NVG 510) via ethernet.  I tried to port forward the receiver's ports that it uses, but the profile that I created for the receiver cannot be assigned to the receiver because it isn't connecting even to my local, private network.

Message 5 of 53
Teacher

If it is an issue with the receiver, I can see that it may be difficult convincing a CSR to send me a new one.

Message 6 of 53
Employee

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable?  We have seen instances were the cable will connect with a laptop but not with the receiver and wind up being the cable

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 53
Teacher

Yes, I have.  Unfortunately that didn't help either.

Message 8 of 53
Employee

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 53
Teacher

I just tried a third to be sure....didn't work either.

Message 10 of 53
Teacher

I'll do it again just to be sure.

Message 11 of 53
Teacher

After restoring defaults, the options available are:

1. Test Connection

2. Repeat Network Setup

3. Advanced Setup

4. Network Services

5. Restore Defaults.

Message 12 of 53
Employee

#2 Repeat Network Setup

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 53
Teacher

Okay, the system finally allowed me to run a system test.  There were 3 failures:

Diagnostic Code: 70-73-79-708

1. Cannot Detect Home Network

- Your receiver is configured to work with a home network but the network was not detected......etc etc

2. Cannot Detect Network or Phone Dial Tone

3. Network:

- Playback Errors due to dropped connections. This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors....etc etc

Message 14 of 53
Teacher

Okay, here's what I get now from Repeat Network Setup.

IP Address: 169.254.8.1   OK

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 OK

Default Gateway: -            -

DNS:                    -          -

Network: Coax Not Connected (9)

Internet: Not Connected (13)

Result Code: 86-28

Message 15 of 53
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support