Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Received a call to upgrade SD box to HD box

Tutor

Received a call to upgrade SD box to HD box

I received a call telling me that I needed to upgrade my SD box to an HD box. I was told it was free. When I asked what type of box they were upgrading to the lady tells me it depends on the promotion available to me. I want a simple hd box like I had a simple sd box. I do not want to worry about a promotion because at the end of the promotion it ends up costing more. I already bought and paid for the sd box and don't want to pay for another box that Direct is making me change to. How do I get a simple HD box without paying for it? Direct is making me upgrade, I'm not asking for it.

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Bob819
‎03-23-2019 6:20 PM

Re: Received a call to upgrade SD box to HD box

You would most likely get an H25 and it and the new dish are free with the swap offer, however CSRs will offer you a Genie upgrade that will start a new contract.  Make sure you read the email confrontation to make sure you got the swap offer

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

As announced years ago, and reconfirmed in recent months, DirecTV will be shutting down the last of their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds. The shutdown starts next month. After that we all will need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment to continue using the service.

DirecTV is offering a complimentary (free, no agreement renewal) MPEG swap for affected customers.

Agents will use this time to offer an optional upgrade (24 month agreement, might be free depending on your account).

Whether you choose the needed MPEG swap or the optional upgrade, read the order confirmation to make sure all is as expected.

However be cautious if an "agent" called you as there are scam artists out there trying to take advantage of the situation (including spoofing the Caller ID). Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 as that is their official publicly available customer service number.

What are the exact model number of your box(es)? Experienced customers can help give guidance on what the options should be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Employee

As of the 24th they are offering a Genie/Client setup as the swap option for MPEG2 receivers at no additional cost/commitment. 

HD boxes (H24/H25) will come at their standard rate of $99 (not offered as part of the MPEG2 free swap). 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Cstarman922 wrote:

As of the 24th they are offering a Genie/Client setup as the swap option for MPEG2 receivers at no additional cost/commitment. 

HD boxes (H24/H25) will come at their standard rate of $99 (not offered as part of the MPEG2 free swap). 

Good to know.  And you're sure there's no 24-month contract commitment?

Must be lots of Genie boxes available!

Message 5 of 9
Employee

That was the info I received. As always, I would suggest confirming this when calling in. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Cstarman922 wrote:

MPEG swap from SD non-DVRs to a Genie setup would require DVR and Whole Home DVR service. Is this the 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44, HR54), the quirky Genie Lite (H44), or the much disliked Genie-2 (HS17)?

This seems odd as a full Genie/Genie-2 setup would be an upgrade to non-DVRs and not a straight swap as it would be for a basic MPEG-4 box (H24, H25).

Message 7 of 9
Employee

Below is what I could find out via phone call today, when I know more I will post here. As promotions are sometimes specific to individual accounts I would suggest calling in @ 1.800.531.5000 to find out what is currently available.

The most detailed piece of information I received was that the HD boxes were no longer part of the free SD swap promotion.

The specific Genie may vary, when I called in they referenced the HR44/HR54 models.

For the customer to utilize the swap offer all MPEG2 receivers must be swapped.

If the customer already has a Genie on the account then existing MPEG2 receivers will be swapped for clients.

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Cstarman922 

If regular Genie (both remaining models ok) and not Genie-2 than fair enough.

I just hope that for those that have a Genie and a MPEG-2 box are being properly informed as Clients take away a tuner from the Genie as they do not have one of their own. Also not only applies to D12 (SWM capable) but D11s (not SWM capable) that though cannot use the cabling are usually in a detached garage, workshop, RV, etc. which means the customer will need to replace secondary dish at their own cost (RV through 3rd party installers) for the custom setup.

And please pass on to other agents that if the customer has multiple boxes, the R22 does NOT need replacing as it is an MPEG-4 box. Just needs one box on the account that is dedicated High Def (model H or HR) for full capability turned on. I understand many new agents are unaware of this special model because model number shows it as SDDVR, and even some tenured agents not familiar with it either. But if nothing but R22s on the account, then one must be replaced of course. The R22 does work with the Genie, that's why I didn't recycle mine as I have used as a backup when another box died and was waiting on the replacement.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support