Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

Tutor

Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

Called my repeatedly today trying to set up an appointment to have someone come out and swap my four SD receivers (R22 with HD/200) for HD ones.  We also have some HD receivers here as well. 

I had some difficulties with the callers' accents so I couldn't understand all their answers.  For example, I asked if there was any fee associated with this and the response was something like "there's a nominal charge but we will refund it to you after ???"  Also, I asked if a new dish would be provided as well and the response was along the lines of "not now, but one day".   Every time I speak with DirecTV, something ends up being added to the bill without my approval.  These callers today seemed very pushy and, well, like scammers.  

Does DirecTV call customers and force them to change equipment?  My hesitation is that we have humdreds of hours of DVR recorded shows we will lose if the receivers are replaced.  Am I being sold an unnecessary upgrade?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
Tutor

Re: Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

It would seem. Spoke with SEVEN different people. The fee goes up with each call. The only thing missing is a table with three walnut shells.

Message 16 of 29
Tutor

HEY, ACE, I'm being forced to change to Genie 2.  I have HR-44 500 and six boxes.  I don't

want to be bother with the wireless hassle.  I'm told I must pay (I did) $99.99 for a one

time fee, and my monthly bill will be almost exactly what I'm paying now.  For one

year.  Then it will go up.  You said you don't HAVE to change, but after seven

bullying phone calls, I agreed.  Still have a week to go with another company.  Any advice?

I'm listed as DIDDLY.  Was in a bad mood when I selected a name. Thanks

Message 17 of 29
Tutor

Yes, just wait until you get a call.  My advice?  Call another server.

Message 18 of 29
ACE - Expert

@DIDDLY wrote:

HEY, ACE, I'm being forced to change to Genie 2.  I have HR-44 500 and six boxes.  I don't

want to be bother with the wireless hassle.  I'm told I must pay (I did) $99.99 for a one

time fee, and my monthly bill will be almost exactly what I'm paying now.  For one

bullying phone calls, I agreed.  Still have a week to go with another company.  Any advice?

Huh?!?  Why are you being "forced" to upgrade to the Genie 2 (HS17 Server)?  The HR44 Genie is still a viable and supported product.  And way more reliable.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 29
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@DIDDLY wrote:

HR44 is a perfectly fine Genie. There is NO requirement to upgrade to the Genie-2. The only requirement is swapping any old SD only boxes (MPEG-2) to HD capable (MPEG-4). This is because the MPEG-2 feed starts shutting down April 2019. The D12 and R16 are the only MPEG-2 boxes that can work on the SWM cabling, but do not share Whole Home DVR so would not expect that to be an issue for many Genie users. Though some Genie users have an old SD box for RV/cabin/seasonal home use, and can be much older (like D10) as such setups tend to have the older cabling setup.

If you have any Mini Genie Clients, it would be suggested to start replacing them with full HDDVRs to get the most out of your system. This is especially recommended if you have more than 3 Clients as the Genie cannot use more than that at one time as keeps 2 of the 5 tuners for itself. The Genie-2 is a downgrade being Client only. So the Genie-2 has 7 tuners max, but Genie and 2 HDDVRs is already 9 tuners which is more than the Genie-2 could ever have. No monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 29
Contributor

I have older not HD receivers, D12-100. I have two rec'ers at home, one dish,  and two rec'ers at lake house, one dish. How can I upgrade to HD at both locations ? I don't mind changing to HD dishes if they are available ? 

Message 21 of 29
ACE - Expert

@boater1 wrote:

I have older not HD receivers, D12-100. I have two rec'ers at home, one dish,  and two rec'ers at lake house, one dish. How can I upgrade to HD at both locations ? I don't mind changing to HD dishes if they are available ? 

D12s are the last non-DVR that was MPEG-2 so definitely need replacing before April. If you want to upgrade to HD service, and not just a MPEG swap of equipment, than it is pretty straight forward.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and request an upgrade to HD. With the age of equipment you have, the 1st box would expect to be free but the 2nd one is usually $99. However it is something the agent might be able to work with. You would get a tech appointment scheduled to do the install, including and receiving dish or cabling updates. The boxes would probably be H25. This adds the $10 HD service to the bill and a 24 month service agreement. If you instead go for a Genie (not Genie-2) you would get main Genie with a Mini Genie Client included for the 2nd TV, but would also have the $10 DVR and $3 Whole Home DVR service. As a note the Autotune feature is not in recordable boxes.

As for your lake house, that depends. If it is a separate account, then you call in for an upgrade just like your main account. However if they are both on the same account that gets a little tricky. Assuming only the boxes active are the ones in use and you update the address accordingly when you are there (per Terms of Service and FCC regulations), then you should be able to request an MPEG swap so DirecTV would replace the D12s there with H25s and do the other updates as needed. Since the account would already have HD service, you would get it there as well. Upgrade at the main home and MPEG swap at the lake house is probably the best way to go as they probably only allow one residence per account for the complimentary swap (since technically only one residence per account). Otherwise you would need to have a 3rd party do the update at the lake house, or yourself with getting equipment through a 3rd party retailer such as Solidsignal.

Just make sure you do NOT upgrade to the Genie-2. This is because it forbids other boxes from being on the account so is very unfriendly for people with a 2nd location like your lakehouse. The regular Genie allows HDDVRs and HD non-DVRs to be on the account so you don't have to try and move all equipment with you every time. As a note the D12s work on the same cabling as the Genie and are allowed on the account so you could upgrade the main home and deal with the lake house later leaving it as is for now. Just remember, D12s will be unusable once the final MPEG-2 shutdown occurs in April 2019.

Message 22 of 29
Teacher

What about people with portable King Quest dishes for RVs?

Message 23 of 29
ACE - Expert

@Tmartin59 wrote:

What about people with portable King Quest dishes for RVs?

They'll have to get a new satellite dish .... either a Trav'ler or Slimline dish. 

Message 24 of 29
Contributor

So this is bad we should get new dishes also when we switch back I only have the 18" dish which is standard for DirecTV so I might have to upgrade in 2 years?

Message 25 of 29
ACE - Expert

@Diddlydop wrote:

So this is bad we should get new dishes also when we switch back I only have the 18" dish which is standard for DirecTV so I might have to upgrade in 2 years?

If your current dish is at your home location, then DirecTV will replace the dish for free.  

If it's an RV, then you'll need to replace the dish. 

Message 26 of 29
ACE - Expert

@Diddlydop wrote:

DirecTV is doing a complimentary swap for those affected. If you have MPEG-2 (SD only) equipment, that would be swapped out for MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) versions. That is both boxes and receiving dish. Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to discuss the option. Do not wait 2 years as they are starting to shutdown the MPEG-2 feeds April 2019.

What are the models of each box you have now?

As a note, DirecTV is only doing the MPEG swap for the home (service address), not RVs. Though they would probably swap the box, the receiving dish setup on the RV must be self-replaced. For those that have an RV, they will need a full receiver/HDDVR, not a Client as a replacement for that one.

Message 27 of 29
Contributor

Ok I don't have you guys currently but I have the old dish.
Message 28 of 29
ACE - Expert

@Diddlydop wrote:
Ok I don't have you guys currently but I have the old dish.

DirecTV stopped activating SD only service in late 2015. So if you were to start DirecTV, or even switch back, then DirecTV would have to do a fresh install either way which includes current equipment. So the old round receiving dish you either leave where it is, or take the LNB to electronic recycling and the dish itself goes with regular metal. If you do choose to remove it, make sure to leave the mounting plate at the very least to prevent leaks.

This is a public customer to customer forum, not customer service, so you will need to call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to find out what offers you might have for going with them.

Message 29 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support