Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

Tutor

Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

Called my repeatedly today trying to set up an appointment to have someone come out and swap my four SD receivers (R22 with HD/200) for HD ones.  We also have some HD receivers here as well. 

I had some difficulties with the callers' accents so I couldn't understand all their answers.  For example, I asked if there was any fee associated with this and the response was something like "there's a nominal charge but we will refund it to you after ???"  Also, I asked if a new dish would be provided as well and the response was along the lines of "not now, but one day".   Every time I speak with DirecTV, something ends up being added to the bill without my approval.  These callers today seemed very pushy and, well, like scammers.  

Does DirecTV call customers and force them to change equipment?  My hesitation is that we have humdreds of hours of DVR recorded shows we will lose if the receivers are replaced.  Am I being sold an unnecessary upgrade?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
ACE - Expert

Re: Received a call from DirecTV saying I MUST upgrade my SD receivers now

NO!  It sounds like a scam!!!

You can verify by calling DirecTV yourself at 1 800 531 5000

There's no reason to change your existing equipment if you're happy with it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29
ACE - Expert

DTV has announced that they are shutting down the SD channels maybe in 2019 but have not provided anymore information since then. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Scholar)
Accepted by Tour_Guy_Bob
‎01-06-2018 7:12 AM

Scam if they said you had to upgrade. HD/200 is not a model number (sounds like part of a model number). There may be an replacement requirement in 2019 as MPEG-2 SD is expected to go away, but more official information will come out before that happens, more than a call trying to scare you.

If you have R22s, do NOT swap them. They are the hybrid model. Since you have HD boxes with HD service, the R22s have their HD capability turned on turning them into HDDVRs (just have to update a couple settings and of course use HDMI cord to the TV). This is because they are a MPEG-4 receiver, required in certain markets where locals came with the HD signal even if you had SD only service (I live in one of those markets so familiar with the R22). Essentially the R22 is an HDDVR in hiding.

There is one upgrade to consider, but not required. You can swap an HD non DVR receiver for a Genie (not the Genie-2 model HS17). It is a 5 tuner HDDVR. You already have HD and DVR service. If you don't already have Whole Home DVR that is just $3, but allows all HDDVRs (including R22s) to see the recordings on the others. If you have more than one HD non DVR, a Genie upgrade (if you are due for a free upgrade) usually covers up to so many Mini Genie Clients to swap any others. Do not get more than 3 Mini Genie Clients at most and do not replace any HDDVR or R22. I would consider this as it allows your other TVs to make use of the service you already have, plus have the convenience of watching your recordings where you like.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 29
Tutor

Thanks to all!  Service technician was here today for a different issue and he said the same thing.  All my non-HD DVRs are the R22 models so I'm fine.  He said the callers were simply trying to lock me into another contract.  I'll tell them a hard no when they call back.  

Why can't DirecTV leave a good thing alone?  I've been with them here for at least 15 years and have a bunch of receivers and a deluxe premium package.  If they leave me alone, I'll simply stay with them shelling out a small car payment every month, but when they start calling me to upsell me - well, that's simply stupid marketing.  Xfinity fiber service is right at the end of my driveway...

Message 5 of 29
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

All the contract says is that you will keep DTV for 2 years or pay the ECF and since you been with DTV that long why bother it was a scam.

Message 6 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by MB6283
‎05-01-2018 2:12 PM

Practically all companies have outbound (their own or outsourced to 3rd party) calls to upsell services. Even if the call you received was legitimate, it was a horrible that the person lied/mislead that you were required to upgrade.

Your R22s are fine. Since you already have HD, just connect them to the TVs by HDMI and update: Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Preferences > Guide HD Channels. Change from Hide HD Channels to Hide SD Duplicates. Aslo under setting ...Display > Resolutions make sure the highest one your TV supports is checked. Remember HD programming does take more space on the DVR for your recordings.

Only if you have older SDDVRs or SD non-DVRs would you be looking at a required upgrade within the next year or so. But upgrading your non DVRs to a regular Genie (not Genie-2) system with any Mini Genies would be fine as you would be getting the most out of your system. Still works with your R22s and any other HDDVRs you already have.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 29
Teacher

Scam by whom,  DIRECTV ?

Message 8 of 29
Teacher

Some of us have SD receivers bought when you could buy your own. What is going to happen when SD stops? Is DirecTV going to do anything to make you whole again?

Message 9 of 29
ACE - Expert

There was an post here of an email that said DTV will upgrade you to HD that they are sending to SD customers.

Message 10 of 29
Teacher

Upgrade by doing what?

Message 11 of 29
ACE - Expert

Replacing the SD receivers with HD ones.

Message 12 of 29
ACE - Expert

@olddog wrote:

Upgrade by doing what?

You'll get a new HiDef-capable dish and HD Receivers.  No specific details have been announced yet. 

Message 13 of 29
ACE - Expert

DirecTV has recently been notifying qualified customers that have remaining SD only equipment. They have been offering free upgrade to Genie and Mini Genie Clients or H25s (HD non-DVR) without agreement. You still pay for the normal receiver services on your monthly bill of course ($10 HD, $10 DVR, $3 Whole Home DVR) based on which upgrade option you choose (charge covers the account, it does not charge per TV). I don't know if the option is open to all who have SD equipment, or if you need to receive the email first to be confirmed qualified. I would call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and check.

As a note for those lucky few: The R22, though listed as an SDDVR, is an MPEG-4 box so is capable of HD. Essentially an HDDVR in hiding. Just need at least one listed HD box on the account for the function to be turned on. Do not replace the R22 with Client or non-DVR as that would be a loss of capability. It works with the Genie so would give more tuners and recording space. For those that have R22 the tech should install the HDMI cable and update the menu option. If needed: Menu > Settings & Help > Display > Preferences > Guide HD Channels. Just change from Hide HD Channels to Hide SD Duplicates if tech didn't do so after upgrade. Also ...Display > Resolutions and verify it is set to the highest one your TV supports.

Message 14 of 29
Tutor

No, I have been trying to fight this for two weeks. These people insist that we must change, or have our bill go up almost  $50 more a month. I'm willing to do without them .

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support