Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Please help troubleshoot my installation diagram, whole home not working

Teacher

Please help troubleshoot my installation diagram, whole home not working

After two solid days of trying, my installer is still not able to get my whole home working. There are a couple of odd things happening. The first was that after his first installation attempt, whenever the deca broadband adapter was connected by ethernet to my router, my internet connection would become unstable. ping -t with the deca detached would work just fine, I'd have ping running indefinitely with each request being returned and with very little variation in ping, then once I plugged the broadband deca into the router via ethernet my ping would be all over the place, from 70 to 3000 ms, with about 20 percent packet loss coming in bunches. This seems to have largely subsided, but I mention it now because I'm wondering if anyone knows what might cause this behavior. My installer seemed quite stumped by it, as did the people he called at Directv support.

My installer supposedly got it working today, but now when I attempt to use the service, the 2 HD non-DVR boxes give me an error telling me that packets from the dvr are not received. I put together a network diagram as my system currently stands. Can some of the resident experts take a look and let me know if something looks wrong?  I've attached it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_N7bkPcLSxHg/TGeLRsStH_I/AAAAAAAAADQ/otkoWjryy4I/diagram.png.jpg

diagram.png
Message 1 of 13
Professor

Re: Please help troubleshoot my installation diagram, whole home not working

Nothing jumps out at me from the drawing. I assume the splitter is a 'green label' DECA compatible one and none of the coax runs are exceptionally long?

Ping times from where to where?

Message 2 of 13
Teacher

I'm arbitrarily trying www.salon.com, but really any website will exhibit the same behavior.  It's just anything external.  The splitter does indeed have a green label, and it says MSPLIT890-01 on the label.  The diagram looks alright though?

Message 3 of 13
Professor

The diagram looks exactly like it should be wired... Are you seeing three green lights on all of the DECAs?

Message 4 of 13
Expert

I notice that you do not show a 18 volt BB/DECA power supply for the router interface.  Is it present?

Message 5 of 13
Expert

If the power supply is present, I would do a stepped power off reset as follows (in the order shown).  Disconnect AC power from the SD receivers, the HD receivers, the HD DVR, the BB/DECA module, the SWM switch.  Now the reconnect:  Connect the SWM power supply, the BB/DECA module.  Test your Internet function and confirm it is working correctly.  If not, I'd replace that module.  If yes, connect just the HD DVR, and retest.  Proceed with a HD receiver, one at a time, testing Internet after each boots up.  Test the multi room viewing after each receiver connection as well.  Proceed until (and if) you find a unit that disrupts your Internet access.  If you find one, leave that one off line and connect the rest until you get to the SD receiver.  Try the "problem" unit again and if it disrupts, you can power down a different receiver and switch DECA modules.  The idea being do you have a faulty module or a faulty Ethernet port on a receiver.

This is a bit of work, but I'd guess you have a faulty component and this exercise should locate it.

Message 6 of 13
Teacher

Wow, I'll try this.  Thank you very much for the ideas!

Message 7 of 13
Teacher

DCD,  I am new to theses forums.  How do I post (pdf) my setup diagram for review/discussion?  The coax connectors on my deca's are very hot.  I am wondering if the power inserter, AC-DC-RF Adapter, and the ethernet, are in the optimum locations for system performance.

Message 8 of 13
Expert

how long is the cable from the PI to the DECA in the HR22 location.  ideally it should be at least 8 feet
Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

Best to start your own new thread.  You'll need to post the pdf to a sharing site (e.g. dropbox) so that we can see it. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 13

Peds,  did U not notice that this is over 3 years old?

Message 11 of 13
ACE - Expert

True, but a new poster brought it back to life.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 13
Expert

I find the ability of this forum software to put the responses next to the post you're responding to a bit disconcerting.  In this thread the posts do back and forth time wise.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support