Explore & discover

Helpful Links

PIP - Genie 2

Highlighted
Contributor

PIP - Genie 2

Of course there was no mention of losing PIP when they upgraded me to a Genie 2. There is no way to get it? No future update planned to bring it back? 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: PIP - Genie 2

@Suterflash wrote:

Of course there was no mention of losing PIP when they upgraded me to a Genie 2. There is no way to get it? No future update planned to bring it back? 

No, no way. The HS17 Genie 2 server has no video outputs, so no PIP. Video connection is provided via the Mini Client box.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

@Suterflash 

Genie-2 (HS17) cannot have PiP. This is because Clients can only use 1 tuner each. So though the Genie-2 has 7 tuners to go around for watching TV and recording, no TV has a way to use more than 1 tuner at a time. This is one of the downsides of this system. This is hard built into the system so cannot be resolved by a software update.

Also since it forbids HDDVRs from being on the account, you are hard capped at 7 tuners.

If main box goes down (resets, loss of power, tech issue, etc.) all your TVs go down.

Clients have to share settings of the main Genie.

Since Clients cannot work independently, usually cannot put in areas like a detached workshop that are too far away from the main system.

Regular Genie since is a full receiver that goes directly on a TV can use PiP (main Genie only, still not Clients).

With HDDVRs your capability is possible to increase. Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners.

HDDVRs can work independently if needed, so if Genie were to go down they still work and vice versa.

Can go in detached buildings (provided you pay for the custom install/additional receiving dish).

So a Genie (preferably 2nd/3rd generation HR44/HR54) and HDDVRs gives most reliability and flexibility in your overall setup. And there is no difference in monthly cost from a Client (or even an HD non-DVR). I like many others consider the Genie-2 a downgrade from a Genie setup. The only perceived advantage of the Genie-2 is it can support 2 TVs at a time using a 4K channel, where the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) can only support 1 at a time. As there are only 2 channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs), that is too much loss for too little gain.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

you can put a second mini at that tv, for  $7 a month, and use the tvs pip function

but that would be the only way

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Help for DIRECTV's newest satellite receiver. View Genie 2 Help
Additional Support