Only one tuner works on DVR

Only one tuner works on DVR

After many hours of trouble shooting and also trying a new receiver Directv has told me I will have to pay to have a tech come out and check my dish. I have paid Directv thousands of dollars over the last 13 years as a customer and have never had a tech come out since the initial installation. If I were to move they would send someone for free to reset my equipment.

I think it is time to move to Dish Network,my contract is up soon.

Message 1 of 19

Re: Only one tuner works on DVR

Do you have a cable in sat in 1 and 2?

Message 2 of 19
Employee

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

it would be a good idea to have  a tech come to your house to inspect your system since it has ben 13 years since installation

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 19

I am incorrect,we had them come out when it was upgraded to HD DVR approximately 4 years ago model hr22

Message 4 of 19
Employee

try swapping the cables behind the DVR with and without BBCs,  if the problem stays with the tuner the you have a bad receiver.  However if the problem moves to the other tuner then you have a bad cable connector.  let us what you find

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 19

passed that step long ago,replaced all cables yesterday and finnaly tried dfferent combinations of cable connections to dish. Their are 4 available cables on dish. With most of the combinations I have tried when tuner 2 is hooked up it causes errors with tuner 1 , so I finally unplugged tuner 2 from the dish.

When problem started in the first place the receiver was in a continuous boot loop, shut down reboot shut down reboot etc...

The direct tv tech had me switch cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and this enabled operation with one tuner. They said they needed to send a tech out to check the dish, they were going to charge me,. like I said if I was moving they would go through an entire reinstall free to keep me as a customer but as is they want to charge me after 14 years service .

What I was hoping for now was a way I could fix it for my last 2 months or so of contract, after the contract is over they are losing me as a customer.

Message 6 of 19
Expert

If you think about the fact that your equipment ran for 13 years without any problems, then a service call one time seems to me to indicate great reliability.  Directv charges $50 for a service call and that includes all parts and labor to put your system into top notch shape.  Everybody gets treated the same.  Note that this is a user to user self help forum designed to assist each other with technical issues.

Message 7 of 19

Reread my posts.

Message 8 of 19

They will reinstall you for free if you move, everyone is not treated the same. They reinstall to keep customers. If they repaired my system they would keep one. They are going to lose a 14 year customer over this, there is no question as to that, I'll sign up with dish.

Message 9 of 19
Employee

Make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 19
Professor

The part you need costs around $40 and you will need to climb a ladder to reach the dish.

Message 11 of 19

are you talking about an lbn

Message 12 of 19
Professor

Yes that is the most likely part or as posted before a coax or connector is corroded.

Message 13 of 19

I replaced all the coax and connectors Amazon has the LBN's, I just checked with customer service and I no longer have a contract so my choice is reset-up free with lower monthly bill with Dish or pay for parts and fix myself..

Message 14 of 19
Professor

The dish and all parts except the for the receivers became yours after the install and 13 years with no problems with them is pretty good.

You can try calling DTV back and ask for retention, they may be able to send a tech to fix it.

Message 15 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support