Explore & discover

Helpful Links

One Genie client can't find server other Genie client is fine

Contributor

One Genie client can't find server other Genie client is fine

I've had Directv's Genie for almost a month and I've had my first, "glitch"..

Today after work we were watching the main dvr unit and my wife changed over to watch the local news. It couldn't lock the channel, then we tried the other locals and none worked. I restarted the main dvr and it was fine, Then I check my client Genies and one worked fine and one doesn't.

The one that doesn't can't find any servers, then after a short wait the video and audio starts but that's it, this client is stuck on stupid. I can't turn it on or off with remote, the only button that works on the remote is the lower left dash and that pops up a dialog box about:

the receiver #

SWM Connected

Internet connected.

The dialog box offers a blue OK button that I can't click on my remote but if I hit the dash button again it goes away.

The tv is stuck on the last channel before it went Tango Uniform. The volume control on the remote works on the tv and that's it. There is no info, guide, menu, pause, etc. Also, my client tv now has a light grey stripe across the top and bottom of the screen like it's wide screen but the tv is 4/3.

I shut it all down, did the red button resets on all in sequence and no improvement, I go into status on main dvr and it sees my two Genie clients and show no errors so I'm pretty much stumped. The only thing not tried is excess time which I don't a lot of chasing this problem. Perhaps if I leave thhe problem child on maybe it will eventually get the rest of the things working besides one channel which isn't jittery or funky, it's a perfect picture with clear sound but that's it.

Physically, nothing has changed save my blood pressure so I'm sure I've got software voodoo afoot.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
Ray

Message 1 of 5
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎03-03-2014 5:53 PM

Re: One Genie client can't find server other Genie client is fine

1. to reset the remote

1. Press and hold MUTE and SELECT (LED flashes twice)

2. Enter 981 wait for green flash. 

The remote should control the mini now.

Next, press and hold the power button on the mini (the DirecTV logo) for about 15 seconds, this should bring the mini back up.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

THANKS! That worked! but I'm a bit confused on what the heck happened to cause that. I'll remember the tip and hopefully, I won't need it very often.

Ray

Message 3 of 5
Expert

you are welcome

Message 4 of 5
Expert

Something simple like a power off blip during the day can cause the entire system to reset and sometimes they get a hitch.  Another exercise that will often put a balky Whole Home system right is to do a red button reset of the Genie then reset all the Minis and receivers.  As the Genie boots up, the Minis will connect and reconfigure with fresh setups.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support