Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Number of Programs at Once with 4K Receivers?

Teacher

Number of Programs at Once with 4K Receivers?

My equipment:

1 - HD DVR Genie

2 - 4k Genie Minis

2- HD Genie Minis

If we are watching the DVR, one 4k mini and 1 regular mini at the same time, should we also be able to still watch or record two additional programs? It's my understanding that the HD DVR Genie can have up to five active clients at once? We seem to be limited to only three active clients currently with this configuration running. What's worse is that our shows aren't recording when we have these three tvs on and there is no warning that pops up telling us that. Any ideas how to fix this?

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Number of Programs at Once with 4K Receivers?

Regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is a 5 tuner HDDVR. Can pair with up to 8 Clients, but only up to 3 may be in use at one time, as keeps 2 tuners to itself partly because of Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. With the HR54 you can have one Client (C61K) using a 4K channel at a time (still counts as one of the 3).

On your next upgrade I would suggest replacing one of your Clients (non-4K) with a HDDVR. That has 2 tuners and 500GB recording space instead of using from the Genie. Can still see each other's recording list of course. There is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR (or even HD non-DVR).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

As for the issue of not recording or get a message about tuner conflict, I would suggest doing a red button reset on the HR54. Once completed then do the same on each of the Clients. Hopefully this will resolve any communication of tuner availability and recording status between them.

If needed, unplug the power cord form the HR54 for at least 20 seconds. Unlike a simple reset, this full power cycle clears anything that might be stuck in residual memory causing the error. The guide info will download after this (should complete within 24 hours). Normally recordings already scheduled would work as normal, but because of the error you were experiencing I would check your scheduled recordings to make sure everything matches.

Remember with resetting the HR54 or the full power cycle, the Clients will not work until the main box is back up. Another reason I recommend an HDDVR instead of a Client as is a full receiver and can work independently.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Teacher

we used to be able to watch the HD DVR Genie, and two regular mini genies at the same time AND still have two additional programs recording for a total of 5 things active all at one time. we recently upgraded one of those regular mini genies to a 4k mini genie and now we can only have 3 things active at the same time. i'm assuming changing the regular mini genie to a 4k mini genie caused this somehow? thx.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

Did you actually disconnect your old non-4K mini?

Message 5 of 8
Teacher

old setup:

• HD DVR Genie: Living Room
  • Wireless Regular Minis: Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2, Basement 1
  • 4k Genie Mini: Basement 2

new setup:

• HD DVR Genie: Moved from Living Room to Bedroom 1 and old Wireless Regular Mini disconnected and taken by DirecTV service tech
  • Replaced HD DVR Genie that was in Living Room with new 4k Genie Mini
  • Wireless Regular Minis in Bedroom 2 and Basement 1 stayed the same
  • 4k Genie Mini in Basement 2 stayed the same

i'm also resetting my receivers as we speak. thx.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

No matter the model of Client, you have the same total of tuners. The only difference is that with using a 4K Client is even if you have multiple of them, only 1 TV at a time can use a 4K channel.

As the issue started when you got your new box, then something glitched at that time. I would go into your Whole Home settings on the HR54 and check Manage Clients. Make sure it shows the correct total of Clients, just in case it might still be paired with the one you got rid of. If you speak to DirecTV, make sure that the correct number of Clients are active on the account in the first place. To not be able to use all 5 tuners (within its rules as explained) means it is thinking a tuner is in use that shouldn't be. That is why I suggested a full power cycle reset to see if it was just something stuck in memory.

Working correctly the 5 tuner Genie can allow up to 3 Clients at the same time. Up to 5 recordings can be done (only way to reach 6 would be recording/downloading from On Demand as that doesn't take a satellite tuner), but then you would have to watch what is recording or already recorded as all tuners would be in use.

Message 7 of 8
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-20-2019 10:17 AM

I think resetting all my boxes fixed it. I also renamed all my receiver locations on DTV and online as they were all messed up and inconsistent. I was able to have two different tuners showing live TV while recording three additional programs. I tried to record a 4th program to see what would happen and I received a message saying I needed to cancel one of the other recordings to do so...just like it should have. So hopefully I'm good to go now. Thx!!

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support