Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,594
Scholar

Re: The new user interface is horrible

Genie HR44-700 with 0x1214 – 07/25/2019 4:25am

(“2017 NEW Format”)

DVR HD24-100 with b9c – 01/23/xxxx 3:50 am

(thank goodness – “2011 NewHD Format” as it was called).

State: NH (For rollout purposes)

=================================================

Good post, Johnny2toes !!!

Message 7576 of 7,594
Mentor

Thank you sir ( or ma'am as the case may be ) lol
Miss the folks here, definitely do not miss ATT
Message 7577 of 7,594
Scholar

Hello John,

The subscription numbers are correct as AT&T/DirecTV had up to 25
million subscribers, or so,  at one time.  Their number of subscribers
are dropping for many reasons.  A small part of the subscribers leaving
is due to other offers such as Dish Network, Cable companies or even
Cord Cutting.  Probably the bulk is people totally unsatisfied with the
high prices and or the service in general.  If you are looking at the
technology AT&T/DirecTV is losing the tech war.The CEO of AT&T/DirecTV
has wanted to downsize to the minimum number of satellite subscribers
that do not have a fast internet connection.  That number is around 5
million subs.  It's a matter of economics.  The cost of maintaining and
adding new subscribers is quite a large amount of money.  Streaming is
the replacement ideal  Self install streaming boxes are rather cheap and
most of the problems with streaming are easy to figure out and fix.  4K
is available on many inexpensive devices.  DirecTV requires a receiver
or a DVR (Genie HR44, HR54 and or a HS17 plus a client).  The Genie can
rplay or record 4k but is unable to play it onto a TV, etc.  The client
can play 4k to a TV, etc so both are needed.  Not only is it 2 separate
units but there is a monthly charge.  First unit is free but each and
every other unit has a monthly charge.  It is also easier to fix one
type of equipment rather than many different pieces of equiipment.

Yours,

caseyf5
Message 7578 of 7,594
Scholar

@macsterguy 

LoL my aunts is true cord cutter which is cheap then your a pair directional antenna in combined mode and Mini-ITX PC run SageTV with WinTV-quadHD with 12tb recording space and pair SageTV HD200 Media Extender and they have no internet.

Message 7579 of 7,594
Scholar

Honestly, I haven't checked in but glad to see a few familiar names.

Our experiment is on going. DTV/ATT did beg us to come back after finally pulling the plug offering a year service for $45/mth. Hubby turned them down pointing out they should have started with that when we first told them we were thinking about leaving rather than a $10 loyalty reward.

The new TiVo Bolt OTA is working out well. We have borderline reception because of a neighbors's tree, but once the leaves drop (the 100 year old tree is bound to come down soon 🙏), all will be well again. It's hard to match the TiVo experience but I do believe Dish's Joey is a contender. With all that's happening in the content provider world, we still feel if one can get OTA they should. If nothing else, it acts as a backup for whatever else you choose. With all the carriage fights it's a good insurance policy.

We are very pleased with the performance of Youtube TV. Some glitches here and there but it compliments the TiVo the way we expected it to. We miss Dolby surround for some things but not as many as we thought. Since we have Netflix and Prime Video we tend to watch programming there which does come with surround sound. If there is something on another streaming service like HBO, I just subscribe for a month after the season has completed.

What do I miss about DTV? Convenient packaging and surround sound. However, ATT left an indelibly bad taste in our mouths that only gets worse with each news article that's posted about them. Since I read news pertaining to TV/Cable on a daily basis, nothing ATT has done/or is doing has given me any reason to even consider coming back. In the end, leaving DTV boiled down to more principle than function but I don't regret it.

What we are doing now is an adventure and has exposed a couple of seniors to a new way of thinking. My husband is actually using Netflix & Prime Video and has upscaled his viewing content. (He's binge watching!) He does get frustrated sometimes because he over pushes buttons but he admits the things he's watching challenge his thinking more. With DTV it was easy for him to watch the same fluff shows over and over ... never looking for anything else. 

I am still experimenting with equipment and services ... sometimes more than watching tv. With new things entering the streaming market routinely and services changing, I'm not likely to settle in any time soon. It's less mindless and more mindful tv watching for me as well.

Anyway, as always, happy hunting ... for tv service that is 😊

Message 7580 of 7,594
Scholar

Message 7581 of 7,594
ACE - Expert

DTV/AT&T has no control over a channels programming.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7582 of 7,594
Contributor

They have never heard of the KISS method of doing things. By the way KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid"!

Message 7583 of 7,594
Scholar

As P. T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." AT&T
must be counting on it.
Message 7584 of 7,594
Teacher

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Sorry AT&T, but I finally pulled the plug.  No, I didn't cut the cable, just replaced it with DISH.  As a parting gift however, I received the box from Directv to return my receiver, packed it all up, dropped it off at the UPS store, and.....got charged because I didn't return the receiver?  My fault....I didn't get a receipt from the UPS store as they were a might busy at the time.  

When I got the final account statement, I called to see what options I might have to follow up on where my receiver wound up and was assured they were looking for it.  At the same time I was offered tremendous deals to come back to DTV?  When I explained why I left (DUI) the deal got even better it seemed.  Then they explained that if I dropped DISH before a month had gone by, I wouldn't have to pay a penalty for leaving them?  

Sorry guys....the DISH user interface has some quirks of course, but I CHOSE to change, not the other way where I was FORCED to take on a new look.  There are some shortcomings of course, compared to what I was used to for 20 years, but the programming is equivalent, and in some cases actually better with programming I actually watch!  Amazing, I don't have to be saddled with twice the price monthly for programming I don't watch anyway.  

I'll always wonder where my receiver wound up.....sigh.  

Message 7585 of 7,594
Scholar

@shannon02  your right about that but they have control over a crazy junk UI programming that look monkey from outer space had done LoL

Message 7586 of 7,594
Mentor

When I returned my elderly mothers Uverse boxes I got a receipt...

I knew I just might need it...

I moved her to assisted living...

She then received a bill for $375 -because- the "boxes" got "lost"...

My Mom passed away and it wasn't until 4-months later a credit was applied to her account only because I saved the receipt...

Message 7587 of 7,594
ACE - Expert

@maxim00  AFAIK you take shipping boxes to the post office.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7588 of 7,594
Mentor

@maxim00,
Glad you left and welcome aboard with Dish. I left earlier this year. It took quite sometime before ATT got around to sending me the return shipping material. but send it they did. I immediately went to the nearest UPS store. I kept the receipt, scanned it, and put the original in my safe. I tracked that thing daily for almost a week before seeing that it had in fact been delivered back to them. 2 days later, I received an email from ATT thanking me for being so prompt in returning their stuff. I've kept that email as well. About 2 months after this, I received an email from ATT offering me  a $20 credit on my account if I would just return to them. To their credit (I guess), I never received any further charges.
As for my experience with Dish. It took a few weeks to gt used to the new format. I love the pricing, getting basically the same package I had previously at almost half the cost. Video/audio quality on par with ATT/DirectTV. I was a customer there for almost 20 years but abandoned ship for all the same reasons you did. Over all, huge win for me. The one thing I don't like is the voice remote. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. If I am too lazy to surf the guide, then I really don't deserve to watch TV. My opinion only.

Anyway, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the dark side as much as I do.
Regards
Message 7589 of 7,594
Scholar

Hello maxim00,

I'm sorry you got dinged for the value of the receiver.  I would still
put in an inquiry with UPS explaining the circumstances such as the
date, the time and the fact that it was a prepaid and addressed to
DirecTV.  They might be successful in following the package from the UPS
store all the way to DirecTV.  I hope that your adventures with your new
satellite provider Dish Network / Echostar proves satisfactory.  I am
still using DTV but I have started my moving from satellite to
streaming.  I have a FireStickTV 4K and a Prime subscription.  There are
many free streaming services and you have to look and or listen to the
commercials (less than on over the air in many, if not most, cases). 
There are many thousands of movies and series available for viewing. 
Lots of 4K to choose from as well.                    
                           Yours                             caseyf5

- - Please type your reply above this line -##
Message 7590 of 7,594
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support