Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,564
Scholar

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Well you beat me in longevity as far as being a dtv customer. I have only been with them since 1998.  You like some of the new features and that is fine.  If it was just new features that would not be a problem and I could deal with that.  The problems that have risen though is way more than the benefits with this guide.  That is the problem.  I don't mind change if it is for the better but this guide and the reliability is just awful.  Did you used to work for at&t I think I remember you said you did.

Message 7516 of 7,564
ACE - Expert

@justloafing wrote:

...  Did you used to work for at&t I think I remember you said you did.

Nope, never worked for DirecTV or AT&T. Just a long time customer and forum contributor. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7517 of 7,564
Scholar

Ahhh Okay

Message 7518 of 7,564
Mentor

Genie HR44-700 with 0x11ac – 04/17/2019 12:26 pm

(“2017 NEW Format”)

DVR HD24-100 with b9c – 01/23/xxxx 3:50 am

(thank goodness – “2011 NewHD Format” as it was called).

State: NH (For rollout purposes)

=================================================

…You like some of the new features and that is fine. 

What “NEW FEATURES” are you talking about ?!?!   

No “NEW FEATURES” at our house !!!

Message 7519 of 7,564
Mentor

For Tim’s sake, I will walk down a road just traveled.

My mom likes McGyver. We watch an episode from the DVR that taped and enjoyed it. Is it on this week or is it a rerun or preempted by something else? How to find out? This is a very common question. Before, we just hit left and down one or two and select on Upcoming Showings. There is is, or not if there is nothing upcoming.

Now what should I do? Info and seasons might not show it. Even though it’s on. Search and type out the name of the show (not fun) and might not work, search is broken. Hit Guide and try to remember what channel it’s on, can’t remember and use left to go back except it goes to something else not the show page. Grr go to guide and wander around because I also don’t remember what time it airs. Go to List (stupid because I am querying the future) and go left and up and select and try find if it is in upcoming recordings but I don’t recall when or what channel so that’s difficult and if it’s not on it won’t say that. Series manager says if there are any upcoming but not when. How about Menu, but where, I give up. Wait two years until it is on Netflix, huh. Go to the computer and go to the local cbs affiliate website schedule? This work but sheesh.

The programmers don’t watch tv like we do in the US, just admit it, they have no clue how we use a DVR. This feature I should missing and there is no working workaround and it has been a YEAR.

At this point I would consider losing all of my recordings if I could get the old firmware back and keep it.

Message 7520 of 7,564

@theverb 

I can't confirm because my HR54 is currently non functional but I believe the only way to see all episodes is to click, "All Seasons", then choose the season you are interested in, that should present all upcoming MacGyver episodes.

Message 7521 of 7,564
Mentor

Amen!
Message 7522 of 7,564
Scholar

This is the sort of thing I have been talking about.  Stuff that is not fixed.  Some say they like the new features and that is fine.  Not sure what new features there are besides the screen saver but that is beside the point.  It is all the things that are still wrong and have been since this guide rolled out.  One person even thinks this is good and that we need to get used to it even though it is heavy flawed.  I even YouTubed it yesterday to find the positives.  Besides the at&t info there is nothing of late that says anything good about this guide.  Actually most say it is a total screw up.  Then the Directv NOW videos.  OMG talk about a super failure on YouTube.  A lot of people are saying at&t has no business being in this market.

Message 7523 of 7,564

@ATTTimCS 

I know people are still dealing with their GUI annoyances and more work needs to be done but I want to thank @ATTTimCS , I just got the 0x11ac update and I can now read cable news headlines from ten plus feet away, thank you for taking the time to help to enact this change.

If they want to make it even lighter/more transparent, they could achieve perfection but please try to implore them never to make it darker/more opaque with future updates.

Message 7524 of 7,564
Scholar

I did a search on MacGyver today, assuming you are talking about the new one, and came up with 2 episodes ... one on 4/26 & one on 5/3. I do sympathize with you though as the guide service they are using now seems inconsistent.

I tried out CBS All Access on a free trial (no ads $10) and found it good quality, stable and extremely easy to use. I can see why CBS fans are pleased with it. I am not a CBS fan but see why they are doing quite well with this streaming service. If your mom really likes MacGyver, has internet WiFi access, a TV with an open HDMI port and is willing to learn something new, with a Roku ($35-$99) you might might want to signup for the free trial. It's a no commitment service. The Roku is also extremely easy to use. If my parents were alive I would suggest it for them as a supplement to cable. Since they were used to watching commercials they would have really liked the VOD supported channels because it's so much easier than navigating the cable guide. Just a thought.

Message 7525 of 7,564
Scholar

One other thing you can do is use DTV's phone app voice search. This same app can be used also on a tablet like an IPAD but the app meant for IPAD does not have voice search function which is strange. I just tried it and it found MacGyver.

Message 7526 of 7,564
Scholar

HR44-500 (Ethernet) & HR24-100

Revision (Software) 0x11ac

Non Genie Remote (old style)

60” TV - Viewing Distance 14

Awhile back I promised to review streaming services against DTV once our 1 year discount was up and we contacted DTV about a new loyalty offer. We have all those results now, and since my husband shared a nasty virus with me, I thought I would post what I have found while I'm immobile. I tried to make them brief overviews and as close to apples to apples comparisons which required having multiple service subscriptions in some cases concurrently. There's a lot more to know about each service which you can easily get on YouTube.

Before I start it's important to note that over 1 year ago, DTV announced an upcoming improvement for the user in DTV's menu system. I am a person who embraces new technology when it adds value to my life. This has not been the case with the system DTV implemented. I am not sure what improvements some people are referring to now that they have conceded to the change, but I guess I will have to chalk that up to a matter of diverse opinions. I prefer to keep on looking for alternatives.

Anyway, you can see my hardware above and I will add to that, that we have the Select package

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTV new rate for 1 year (no contract-equipment included)

$81.19 (including tax)

$85.98 Internet 100 MPs + phone

$167.17  Total

Perks:  Locals, all major channels, 720/1080 (60fps), Dolby Surround, VOD & credentials for standalone apps, ability to subscribe to premium channels, app for mobile devices, 14 day grid guide, for the most part reliable, Popup in Guide for quick access to several options, decent search functions. (note: no streaming service Guide is as powerful or better laid out and has the management tools as compacted for DVR that DTV has)

Cons: Full price expense, DVR management hampered by excessive step process and redundancies, no built in streaming services, missing voice search on remotes and IPAD, poorly implemented advertising, VOD hit or miss, equipment in the field that still does not operate properly with menu system. DVR Guide data which is not always accurate leading to missed recording. Series recordings setup in App or by search do not always record more than the first selected recording. No recovery folder for deleted recordings. Conflicts can arise that are not denoted in Guide. Many other quirks that happen randomly depending on equipment and whole home system.

Directv Now

$100.44

$10 (5 year cost of a TiVo OTA with Life Membership For Locals)

$196.99 Total (Most Expensive)

Perks: Most Major Channels, many 720/1080 (60fps) some Dolby Surround (but squishy), grid guide, decent navigation for a streaming service, no contract, fast-pause -reverse capabilities (not as good as sat), a fairly low learning curve. Credentials for standalone app carried by service. Premium Channels. Stream 2 pay more for a third.

Cons: Too expensive for what you get, 20 hour DVR (90 day limit), DVR recording unpredictable, no locals in my area, occasional buffering issues, not generically seen as a reliable service if you are a power tv user, search features just so-so, mobile use is patchy. VOD not predictable.

YouTube TV + Philo

$54.00 with tax (typo correction)

$17.98 Philo

$157.56 Total (Best Streamlined Service)

Perks: unlimited DVR (9mths), simple interface that's easy to learn, 720/1080 (60fps) stable with slight buffering, fast-forward, pause, rewind, local channels, good sports, excellent mobile stability, excellent search, guide customization. No contract. Credentials for standalone apps carried by service. 6 accounts for separate users. Watch on 3 devices.

Cons: CBS replaces DVR content with VOD quickly, Guide is very poor on Roku (better on IPAD App) only 7 hour look ahead and slow, stereo audio, pics in graphics menus are too large, Missing some channels like History-Comedy Central-Hallmark-Lifetime

(Philo is a barebones service with an unlimited DVR that keeps content for 30 days and a handful of channels. No locals. I found it a bit confusing to use but good video quality with stereo sound. It's only a fill in for a couple of channels and shows) Viacom channels. Stream 3 devices. 720 (30fps)

Hulu Live TV + Enhanced DVR + Philo

$59.48 ($65.89 limit commercials VOD)

$17.98 Philo

$163.44 Total (Best Balance Of Content & Price)

Perks: Hulu's price structure addresses many different consumers needs. The package above allows access to their VOD library and for a few dollars more you can eliminate or minimize ads in that content. There is fast forward, pause and rewind. Original content. Local channels.No contract. Enhanced DVR 200 hours. Credentials for standalone apps carried by service. Watch on 2 devices or pay more for unlimited. Has availability of kid profiles. (Note: Hulu is revamping their Guide to make it more useable)

Cons: Navigation is more difficult to learn. Guide does not look forward but a few hours. IPAD App guide is not very useable. Takes too much time to load screens (could be on board memory Roku). Stereo audio except on some Hulu originals & VOD but it requires certain devices. It was easy to confuse the service causing it to stall. VOD has a lot of old content. Missing live channels like AMC, CW, BBC & Comedy Central although there maybe some VOD content. Some shows you can record like the Blacklist will also have VOD content only if you have the live service. It can be difficult to know what kind of ads you will get even when paying extra for no commercials. You have to have the enhanced DVR to Fast-forward etc. through DVR content. Fast-forward etc. are not as easy to use as other services. Can't continue to watch content and browse menus.

(Philo description above)

Sling TV (Blue + Orange + News + DVR 50 hrs)

$54

$10  (5 year cost of a TiVo OTA with Life Membership For Locals)

$149.98 (Most Economical, Easiest To Use)

Perks: Straight forward signup. Easy to setup and use. Cost effective while still getting a vast majority of major channels. DVR has no time limit but only 50 hrs. Closest to A la Carte service. Guide can be customized. Overall response respectable. Guide reaches out 1 week. iPad App is very simple as well. Stream up to 4 devices. 720 (30/60fps)

Cons: Picture quality soft, audio 2 channel with a slight muffle. On Demand very limited in service but credentials for stand alone Apps. GUI is lackluster. Can not watch content and use menu features.

There other services I did not try like PlayStation Vue or Fubo. In each case there were limitations that did not make them a good choice for a comparison to my DTV service. This is an easy way to see an overall view,

https://thestreamable.com/matchmaker

Summary:

Currently none of the services or combination of services is a good replacement for our DTV service considering cost and quality. However, if stereo audio, a few less channels and not as refined navigation are not stumbling blocks for you, having a streaming service(s) does have some advantages. Hardware is inexpensive and mobile. If you have 5 TV's in your house or a slew of mobile devices because of kids, you could conceivably save some money for a few years by using YouTube TV and a bunch of Roku devices. But understand this current trend is heading toward cable/sat pricing especially with those types of companies. Sure, they'll give you a break now in most cases, especially if they can wean you off hardware they have to maintain and service, but they will raise that pricing up over time and end up profiting even more with even less channel choices. More and more standard cable providers are now looking at switching over customers to streaming. A recent post on cord cutters site talked about Spectrum, under the table, selling any of their packages as just streaming services. Spectrum has just announced a cloud DVR to companion with their streaming packages. The moral to the story here is that it's never about us, it's all about them ... don't ever let them convince you otherwise.

Message 7527 of 7,564
Teacher

Anybody else notice the  bug in the new software update.  It's missing the time slot on the on the info banner only on movies no matter what channel.  Any regular shows or series you see the time information.  Why only movies does it not show the time is a mystery....they obviously don't test their updates before releasing.  Very annoying as I like to see how far in a movie is on whether I watch it or not.   If you press the info button a couple times you will find the time information, it's just missing on the initial info banner when surfing channels.

Message 7528 of 7,564
Mentor

GmaHrn,
Well Done!! Excellent information and very well put together. Hats off to you.

While I tend to be a techie, all of those different services and combination of services are a little too much for my liking. Guess you could say too many wheels on the bus going round and round. As you may recall, I jumped ship and landed on the Dish rescue craft. Though it's only been a few weeks, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Took less than a week to learn the platform. Thank you for sharing this good information. Gives a guy something to think about.
Good luck to you.
Message 7529 of 7,564
ACE - Expert

@GmaHrn wrote:

Summary:

Currently none of the services or combination of services is a good replacement for our DTV service considering cost and quality. However, if stereo audio, a few less channels and not as refined navigation are not stumbling blocks for you, having a streaming service(s) does have some advantages. Hardware is inexpensive and mobile. If you have 5 TV's in your house or a slew of mobile devices because of kids, you could conceivably save some money for a few years by using YouTube TV and a bunch of Roku devices. But understand this current trend is heading toward cable/sat pricing especially with those types of companies. Sure, they'll give you a break now in most cases, especially if they can wean you off hardware they have to maintain and service, but they will raise that pricing up over time and end up profiting even more with even less channel choices. More and more standard cable providers are now looking at switching over customers to streaming. A recent post on cord cutters site talked about Spectrum, under the table, selling any of their packages as just streaming services. Spectrum has just announced a cloud DVR to companion with their streaming packages. The moral to the story here is that it's never about us, it's all about them ... don't ever let them convince you otherwise.

Excellent comparison and summary. Thank you!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7530 of 7,564
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support