Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,566

Re: The new user interface is horrible

@ATTTimCS 

Tim, if you get the time, any updates on making the progress bar fully transparent? Also can you look into the following, is this true, if so will the ads only be going out to internet connected receivers, and please express to the powers that be that if they employ full motion videos upon pausing the DVR, I would explore leaving Directv immediately, thank you.

If this article is true, AT&T announced by the end of 2019, they will employ full motion video ads every time you pause the dvr, has ATT really stated this, perhaps during an earnings call?

[b][url="https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6460831/Hulu-T-start-showing-ads-time-pause-show.htm... and AT&T to start showing ads every time you pause a show | Daily Mail Online[/url][/b]

Update: Found the quote here:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/pause-advertising-hulu-att-streaming-commercials-1203079321/

AT&T also has hopes to use the pause to lend new momentum to TV advertising. The company, which owns DirecTV and U-verse, expects to launch technology next year that puts a full-motion video on a screen when a user decides to take a respite. “We know you’re going to capture 100% viewability when they pause and unpause,” says Matt Van Houten, vice president of product at Xandr Media, AT&T’s advertising division. “There’s a lot of value in that experience.”

That might actually cause me to leave Directv immediately.

Message 7366 of 7,566
Mentor

" Hulu intends to unveil what it calls 'pause ads' in 2019, he said, claiming it will help users by letting them choose 'a natural break in the storytelling experience.' " . . . . a natural break in the Story Telling Experience??  what the heck kind of useless drivel is that? What genius came up with that catch phrase?? How about this? a kinder gentler laxative that will enhance a persons bowel movement experience.

None of the entertainment providers or content providers, or whatever they call themselves today are concerned about us, the end user. They are more concerned about how much more advertising revenue they can generate.
Message 7367 of 7,566
Scholar

@txakura said:

Makes more sense than endless complaints

@Johnny2toes said:

Exactly.

You know what, you guys are right. I should just take it lying down. After all, how silly of me to tell the service provider I pay that something isn't functioning as it should, even something they may not be aware of. How dare I.

I'm sorry it took so long to write back but last night my internet went down. I don't dare "complain" to my ISP. Heck, I'll just not use it. Then this morning I found out the new refrigerator I bought isn't keeping things cold. Well, that's OK because I just put all of its contents on the back porch. It's February, so it's cold enough. Exactly what I'm going to do in the summer I don't know, but I don't dare "complain" to LG. After all, that's useless, right? I should just not use it. To top it all off, my car wouldn't start this morning, so I walked the 35 miles to work. Don't want to think about complaining to GM. Gosh no. I'll just continue to pay the lease and not use the truck. Easy peasy.

I hope you guys both support me in our endeavor when your power goes out. Don't "complain" to the electric company. Be sure you just don't use it.

Muppets!

Message 7368 of 7,566
Scholar

WRJW971:

Another long invective...  Doesn't change anything.  You can complain
all you want, but endlessly ain't gonna make it change. And, in fact, by
now it should be as apparent as possible what is you see is what you
get.  So why waste the time, energy and frustration on more posts?

And, for what it's worth, these who post and say they are employees are,
just Joes who happen to work for AT&T.  I'd bet none of them are in a
position to actually affect change.  They may be in a position to tell
someone higher on the food chain of all the negative posts, but still
not be able to really do anything.  So telling one of them they should
be doing something isn't going to prove much either!

Message 7369 of 7,566
Scholar

As it has been told to me a few times from Ace " If you don't like the services why don't you just leave?"  Seem to be a lot of Ace's around here lately. With at&'s stock numbers going into the dumpster as of the new guide came out it made them worse.  I understand the last 2 posts.  One for complaining and one against comlaining.  I think they are both right.  It is very obvious that at&t could give a crap about us.  One thing I do laugh at is them sticking commercials in our guide and now the screen saver.  Do they not understand that your basic consumer hates commercials and at&t thinks commercials is going to drive up revenues.  As I have said since day 1 of the takeover that at&t has no business trying to deal with television.  They have tried twice and have failed miserably at both attempts.  Now their going to try a third one.  Do these Ace's think I am going to leave while I watch a third at&t product get hammered?  NO WAY it is giving me chuckles now.

Message 7370 of 7,566

@justloafing 

I implore eveyone that is upset with the GUI to complain as much as possible, I only ask that you include all forms of social media and direct calls and emails to Directv offices.

@ATTTimCS  As far as the full motion video ads upon hitting the pause button, if Directv/AT&T is that stupid to employ those, they really will see an avalanche of people leaving, DVR people are a unique bunch, they won't tolerate those intrusions.

As long as Dish and Cable offer pause functionality free of ads, people will flock to those services if ATT commits to such stupidity.

Message 7371 of 7,566
Scholar

Don't forget:  at&t just bought Time Warner.  Just think how well they can mess that up!
Message 7372 of 7,566
Scholar

They are ruining everything they touch no doubt.  Started with me when they bought out Bell South.  I had their cell service, there land line phone, and one other thing I can't remember.  Got rid of it all in 6 months and from that point forward I have never and will never have a good thing to say about them, I will say a lot of bad things.  Then I find out how their workers are treated.  Just from how their workers are treated it is no wonder why the customer gets treated like garbage.

Message 7373 of 7,566
Mentor

ATT isn't pandering to us, they are pandering to the advertisers. That is where the real income comes from. From an advertisers point of view, hey are quite happy to spend large amounts of money to broadcast providers. It's a numbers game to them. If only one percent of consumers purchase product based on advertising, they have more than made their nut. 350,000 Americans, slightly fewer if you consider the age of people able to pruchase products or services. If say 1% of number does purchase based on advertising, they've done their job. More revenue for the shareholders of said companies. And the same goes for Youtube or other such providers. Does it make sense now that the youtubers of the world are so interested in "monetizing" their video's or other productions? I just thank God that I have been able to retire and get out of the game. The down side is that my kids, grand kids and all others of their generations will have to endure the greediness of the "Share Holder". I guess in the end, it doesn't matter much which provider you go with, its going to be the same old story. From my point of view, it won't be me contributing to the suits at ATT. It will be some other suits at some other company. If we as a society were to unplug completely, a message would be sent that they cannot avoid. Reality is though, this will never happen. Too many people would remain as they are, happily viewing their beloved reality shows, zombie dramas or other such programming that appeals to them.

I would like to ask one thing, please do not attack me personally for expressing my views. I have not, nor will ever take shots at others who express theirs.
Message 7374 of 7,566

Well said my friend!
Message 7375 of 7,566
Scholar

HR44-500 (Ethernet) & HR24-500

Revision (Software) 0x114b

Non Genie Remote (old style)

Ethernet Connected

60” TV - Viewing Distance 14’

Coming in in the door of Sam's Club today my husband was greeted by two ATT reps hawking Directv. He politely proceeded to relay to them our long term association with DTV and how it had fallen from premium status. Having them there seemed pretty ironic considering ATT's CEO vision is dismembering DTV.

On the bright side, YouTube TV is going well. In about two weeks we'll get to see how much DTV values our business. Since I don't anticipate any meaningful improvements to sat service in the future, price now comes into play.

Message 7376 of 7,566
ACE - Expert

@GmaHrn wrote:

Coming in in the door of Sam's Club today my husband was greeted by two ATT reps hawking Directv. ...

Sales folks you see at places like Sams Club and Costco are not AT&T/DirecTV employees.  They work for third party companies and often make outrageous promises to book orders. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7377 of 7,566
ACE - Expert

They don't work for DTV/AT&T but a third party company that sends orders to DTV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7378 of 7,566
Scholar

Thanks for info. Seems all the same intent in the end doesn't it?

Message 7379 of 7,566
Employee

Hi All,

Regarding ads, I don't have an official response or roadmap for this happening.  However, I know all companies are looking for new ways to advertise in the digital age.  With TV, no one watches commercials anymore.  I am one of those people.  I can't remember the last time I watched a commercial.  Companies are going to find new ways to entice that revenue stream.  Whether it's us, Comcast, Dish, etc, companies are going to get creative to court advertisers is my guess.

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7380 of 7,566
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support