Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,582
Scholar

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

The thing is with Randall Stephenson is has never been right with his forecasting of DTV.

Message 7561 of 7,582
Scholar

@mdram4x4 

His actions don't indicate that and his previous musings have definitely leaned heavily on wanting only the top tier customer but time will tell. So far he's managed to make a royal mess of everything he's touched ... he's left no stone unturned.

Message 7562 of 7,582
ACE - Master

@GmaHrn wrote:

@mdram4x4 

His actions don't indicate that and his previous musings have definitely leaned heavily on wanting only the top tier customer but time will tell. So far he's managed to make a royal mess of everything he's touched ... he's left no stone unturned.

top tier customers generate the best profit, of course they want them.  and the shareholders want the hear they want them.  its business, nothing more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7563 of 7,582
Scholar

Interestingly, everything AT&T does now shows a distinct lack of empathy
for the customer or the employee.  You have to hope companies like that
don't last.  It's the old SBC look at things - maybe being in Texas just
makes people think like that.
Message 7564 of 7,582
Scholar

HR44-500 (Ethernet) & HR24-100

Revision (Software) 0x11ac

Non Genie Remote (old style)

60” TV - Viewing Distance 14

For those still lurking, we have left DTV. Something, until recently, I would have never anticipated we would do. It wasn't a matter of money ... it was the overall poor attitude and lack of competence that finally made us go elsewhere. Leaving DTV meant we would be sacrificing things we had enjoyed for over twenty years but the handwriting was on the wall so why prolong the agony.

As with others that parted ways with DTV, I will outline what we are using and why. We considered Dish but didn't want to commit to 2 years in this quickly changing environment.

We straightened out our OTA antennas in the attic. We have now have decent reception with the major networks. This was the base we built on.

We already had a 2 tuner TiVo OTA/Cable Premier (500 Gig) and added a TiVo 4 tuner refurbished Romio OTA (2 terabyte) to the mix. Both have lifetime subscriptions. There were other options for OTA antennas, like Tablo, but all of them relied heavily on WiFi. We felt Tivo provided the best user interface and only needed an Internet connection for TV guide updates if we stayed with coax. One Tivo was devoted to my husband's sports while the other carried Prime Networks. We prefer having plenty of space so we can collect whole series for binge watching. The TiVo's were important to my husband as they offered Dolby 5.1 and ad skip (although I am not thrilled with the audio tonal quality) Their lifespan should be about 5 years (hard drive) and afford us plenty of time for the world of TV broadcasting to settle in .... streaming, ATSC 3 etc.

Next we needed to decide how to have the cable like channels. That required us to use a streaming service. 🤔The challenge was that we needed to connect several TVs in the house and I did not want to buy Tivo minis just for a few channels. For a streaming service, I would have been happy with Sling Blue even though it had a small (50 hour) cloud DVR. That would have run about $40 which included some add ons. However, YouTube TV (via Roku's) at $50 included all our locals, an unlimited DVR, (9 month hold, excluding CBS), it's extremely stable on TV/mobile devices, good sports, excellent video and a great search function. That also put prime time networks on every TV and since the remote TVs were only capable of stereo fine with hubby. YTTV was missing a couple channels that we only watched occasionally and it buffered slightly while loading a show in the beginning but we got used to it. The few shows on those stations we wouldn't get were carried on Prime Video and or Netflix shortly after the season finished anyway. We concluded that having a streaming service with TiVo was complementary. Each became a backup for the other (Prime Networks). With streaming if the Internet went down you would have Tivo recorded shows. With YTTV, because shows were being indexed per our selection in the cloud, they were available when the service came back up. If a TiVo had a problem you could use the streaming service to watch the same shows, which you had already made duplicates of, from the cloud (again aside from CBS). That is why we picked YTTV. No worries about managing a cloud DVR. If the Roku service itself had an issue, the TiVo's had access to Netflix, Prime Video etc. The $30 difference between DTV and YTTV would pay for the TiVo in a year and give us the option to briefly purchase other streaming services that carried a series we might want to watch. Yes, it's more work but we already operated several systems routinely. YTTV has things I don't like. No screensaver ... the screen just goes black on Roku. It has Autoplay which you cannot turn off and it will play everything recorded in no particular order. The GUI has VERY large pic thumbnails and because of that navigation can take more steps than I like. (TiVo's menu is also step heavy in the Premier but much better in the Roamio) The FF and Rewind are a bit cumbersome but not terrible. No Dolby and you really need an independent guide/App that tracks tv shows/airings. I already had been using a Tv tracking app for years so it was not an imposition. Hopefully they will address these issues in the future. They are very methodical in how they approach things and unlike DTV, it's not one step forward and two steps back.

Also TiVo has announced it is coming out with an App for streaming devices so that could lead us to another consideration in the future. Who knows ... things are changing at warp speed.

I have learned quite a bit over the last few months from many of you. Truth be told, if I hadn't found this thread, I probably would still be with DTV. It forced me to examine television in a different light. With my husband's and my age being in the seventies it was a good thing to get on board with new technology. It takes a little longer to become proficient but it dusts out the cobwebs.

Best wishes to you all.

Message 7565 of 7,582
Mentor

Re: The new user interface is horrible

DirecTv sux! They don't give a flip about their customers!!  Thanks AT&T for destroying DirecTV!

Message 7566 of 7,582
Scholar

Genie HR44-700 with 0x1214 – 07/25/2019 4:25am

(“2017 NEW Format”)

DVR HD24-100 with b9c – 01/23/xxxx 3:50 am

(thank goodness – “2011 NewHD Format” as it was called).

State: NH (For rollout purposes)

=================================================

Where has everybody gone ?!?!

Am I the last person that uses DirecTV service ?!?!

The service certainly has not improved – BUT – There have not been any new entries made to this forum since June 15, 2019.

I was talking with a person from the “AT&T / DirecTV President’s Office” and she says DirecTV now has 15,000 customers (quite a drop from 35,000 just a few years ago – How low can you go ?!?!).

Message 7567 of 7,582
Mentor

Genie Gen 2, HR44-500 (WiFi)
Revision (Software) 0x114B, Tue 1-15-19
Genie Mini, C51-700
Client Sortware 0xfba 2017/11/15, 0x1oof Downloaded Tue 7/3
Missouri (for rollout purpose)

--------------------------------------

Well Mike,  there are still a few of us around.  It's gotten to the point it doesn't seem to be a point to complain any longer.  AT&T has pretty much ignored us and you can only beat a dead horse for so long.  My problem is that if I want TV, I only have two choices, both satellite, since TV went digital.  We used to be able to pull in stations with an antenna on a pole and a rotor.  The digital improvement doesn't make it out to our rural location any more (70 miles).  I have an envelope full of Dish offers with $300 rebates and I would go with them in a heartbeat if I could just try them without obligation for a short period.  I just don't want to lock into a contract and find out I've jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.  We have had DSL since 2016 but now that they have hooked up all the neighbors my download speed drops from 6 MB (theoretical) to about dial-up speed when everybody uses it in the evening.  It becomes hard to even check email!

So for the immediate future anyway, I'm still here.

John (AT&T test dummy)

Message 7568 of 7,582
Scholar

@Since1996 

I agree soon as our contract is up we going back dishnetwork

Message 7569 of 7,582
Mentor

Mike, forgot to ask you about your subscriber numbers.  Maybe they are supposed to be millions instead of thousands, but then that too would be way off.  The following is from the internet:

From April 25th Forbes, "In its earnings presentation on Wednesday, AT&T announced that it had lost 544,000 DirecTV subscribers in the first quarter, bringing the total decline in the past nine months to 1.28 million. Even though the satellite service still has more than 22 million customers, the market did not react well. AT&T’s stock fell by more than 4% by the end of the day, resulting in a $9.5 billion reduction in the media giant’s market cap."

From HollywoodReporter.com, "Dish ended March with more than 12.06 million subscribers, including nearly 9.64 million Dish subscribers, down from 9.90 million as of the end of 2018, and more than 2.42 million Sling subscribers, up slightly. Dish had lost 334,000 net subscribers in the fourth quarter after dropping 341,000 in the third.(May 3, 2019)"

John (AT&T test dummy)

Message 7570 of 7,582

Nwhome; you are not the only one, I am in the same canoe, my tv screen changes everyday, it’s like regions have been picked to use as practice dummy’s on “hmmm how does this look, I’m well over it”. There is a huge lag time to even change from one channel to another, ugh!
Message 7571 of 7,582
Mentor

I'm still here too.  I just leave this tab open on my browser and hit reload once a day, along with a lot of other stuff I check.  My contract is up next month and the only salvation at this point is that one of my two DVR's is an HR-24.  The new format last year (or whenever) just takes tooooo many steps to do what I do constantly.

For example:

On the HR-24 when I want to see OTHER SHOWINGS, I simply click on that and I can see all episodes upcoming.

On the Genie when I want to see the same info, you have to click go left, click up to SEASONS, then right to the season, then click back to UPCOMING AIRINGS.  Or something like that.  In any event WAY more steps.

And when you're trying to see upcoming shows in the Guide by highlighting the station (for example, HBO) you can only look at the 2 weeks worth of shows like 3 or 4 at a time because of that STUPID BIG BLUE BOX !!!!  Haven't they yet figured out we don't want or need that?  I go to my HR24 when I'm searching that way.

Message 7572 of 7,582
Mentor

THIS IS THE DAY! My DirecTV subscription is OVER!!!

What am I going to do next?

• I have a TiVO in place and am testing and Loving it...

• A new Tablo Quad should be here tomorrow to test...

- I plan to DVR free over the air channels (OTA) with either of these devices

- I plan to add a Hulu subscription (with free trial) to both which will give my more channels and content then my current DirecTV subscription that cost $170 a month (with all the fees & taxes included)...

Who will WIN? Tune in to find out...

Who wil Loose - AT&T !!!

So far, the TiVO experience is 1000 X's better then the best that DirecTV has to offer!

TiVO is Probably the most expensive way to cut the cord but for people that have been with DirecTV for as long as they have been around (never been late with a payment) and have grown very accustomed to the "Cable Experience" - Nothing around can compare to TiVO... It's just better then everything else.

Tablo, on the other hand, is a completely whole new approach (and I think the best option out there) for the "New Way of Doing Things". I am excited to try it out...

2 Great Options - Total cost to cut-the-cord:

- Great Antenna - $79

- TiVO - $59 a month - With Hulu subscription - Equipment cost - $600 (3 TV's)

- Tablo - $57 a month - With Hulu subscription - Equipment cost - $300 (4 TV's)

**A $100 savings per month = $1200 a year for a better experience AND more content - A No Brainer!

This is the DAY!

Message 7573 of 7,582
Mentor

Where has everybody gone ?!?!

Am I the last person that uses DirecTV service ?!?!

The service certainly has not improved – BUT – There have not been any new entries made to this forum since June 15, 2019.

I was talking with a person from the “AT&T / DirecTV President’s Office” and she says DirecTV now has 15,000 customers (quite a drop from 35,000 just a few years ago – How low can you go ?!?!).

@mike3805
I am still on this forum, but as of April or May, I switched from Direct TV to Dish. Saved a ton of money, a little north of 50% each month. At first with the new service, I was a little discombobulated by the difference in operating systems, but after a week or two, I settled in. My channel selection is pretty much what I had at DTV. Picture and sound quality are the same as DTV, satellite is service is also the same, good reliability even in crappy weather. DTV couldn't offer me enough to go back. Funny thing is that just the other day, after so long now with Dish, ATT  finally got around to sending me an email begging me to come back into the fold. No Way Jack!!! Finally free of ATT and all of their nonsense. I had ATT cell service years ago and fired them for crappy service/billing issues. Had ATT DSL, fired them for slow and unreliable internet service, and now fired ATT  for completely ruining what was the premier satellite provider in the country. How and why they are able to stay in business boggles the mind, at least in my opinion. Anyway mike3805, I invite you, and any others reading this, to come to the Dark Side. I can tell this, once you cross over, you will see its not really that dark over here. Just my 1.5 cents worth. Smiley Happy
Message 7574 of 7,582
Scholar

Genie HR44-700 with 0x1214 – 07/25/2019 4:25am

(“2017 NEW Format”)

DVR HD24-100 with b9c – 01/23/xxxx 3:50 am

(thank goodness – “2011 NewHD Format” as it was called).

State: NH (For rollout purposes)

=================================================

Thank you ALL for your responses !!!

I just realized this DirecTV forum has been “silent” since mid June.

You are right ALL of our entries have been for “NOT” except for sharing of our thoughts.

Yes, sorry, my numbers were way off, I did mean Millions.    None the less – Huge losses (and still losing) over the years.

As I have said many times before, I am a computer developer and the “Customer” (us) should be “King”.    If I had anything to say about it, I would have gone back to the OLD Format almost two years ago !!!

I have mentioned to ALL distribution companies (DirecTV, Dish, Cable), that they should have a FREE month trial – OR – A test site for trying a service BEFORE a commitment (obviously, that idea has not worked any better than this forum).

Message 7575 of 7,582
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support