Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,540
Employee

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

@gordongekko99 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

Tim is this the new progress bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qE8s8rkWs

It appears that you just might be able to read through it, looks like it matches the transparency of the info bar from the top menu. Does anyone know what software update this is?

Does anyone have this semi-transparent progress bar?

Hi @gordongekko99, yep that looks like it. It should be 0x113c I believe, which is starting to roll out now.

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7471 of 7,540

@ATTTimCS 

Awesome, based on @smolenski7 's picture it appears that we will be able to read things appearing behind the progress bar, thank you for listening to us and helping to correct this, take care.

Message 7472 of 7,540
Mentor

This has been happening to me virtually from the 1st day 4K service was installed. You can either restart the TV one or more times or try to get to List and back in to live TV. With all the other defects in the formerly GUI, I just didn't want to complain about something that doesn't work some of the time as opposed to the GUI which is a constant.
Message 7473 of 7,540
ACE - Expert

@ATTTimCS wrote:

@gordongekko99 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

Tim is this the new progress bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qE8s8rkWs

It appears that you just might be able to read through it, looks like it matches the transparency of the info bar from the top menu. Does anyone know what software update this is?

Does anyone have this semi-transparent progress bar?

Hi @gordongekko99, yep that looks like it. It should be 0x113c I believe, which is starting to roll out now.

Thanks

Really? Isn't the current national release 0x114c?  0x113c would be a step backward.  I thought the new release starting to rollout is 0x11ac.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7474 of 7,540
Highlighted
Scholar

HR44-500 (Ethernet) & HR24-500

Revision (Software) 0x114b

Non Genie Remote (old style)

Ethernet Connected

60” TV - Viewing Distance 14’

Have had 011ac since apparently 4/9. No real standout change on my system which is why I never noticed. The black bar is slightly more transparent but not enough to make a significant change IMHO.

Message 7475 of 7,540

@smolenski7 

Thanks for posting the pic, is your receiver the HS17?

Message 7476 of 7,540
Scholar

I have the HR44-500 and am running 0x11ac and have that progress bar. 

Problems still not fixed with this update:

It still does not do “back” properly on the playlist. You get either a random program or not the next program in your list. Once again we’re back to having to be VERY cautious on deleting a program so we don’t delete the wrong one. 

The screensaver STILL has the bottom black bar on it, which causes burn in. It’s ridiculous to have an image on a screensaver that remains. 

The screensaver is still non-functioning in that it puts a few cards of upcoming movies, then a few cards of picturesque locations, then goes back to the paused program you’re on and sits static. Unbelievable. 

Message 7477 of 7,540
Scholar

Screensaver makes me angry whenever I see it. Even Roku has a better screensaver and still advertises without SCREAMING. It's similar to when people type in all caps .... tacky doesn't even describe how offensive it is. And the lack of subject matter continuity ... absolutely no class whatsoever or common sense across the board. I'd be really shocked if this is working for them in meaningful sales numbers.

Message 7478 of 7,540
Mentor

I disconnected my genie from the internet and it doesn't have advertisements except the mess that is in the guide, seems like every fifth line is an ad for junk. I get a bouncing Death Star when I leave it paused. 

Message 7479 of 7,540
Scholar

disconnected my genie from the internet and it doesn't have advertisements except the mess that is in the guide, seems like every fifth line is an ad for junk. I get a bouncing Death Star when I leave it paused. 

Thanks, I have read that before and keep forgetting to try it as getting to my Ethernet connection is a pain in the behind. 😆 Bouncing Death Star .... I like it.

Message 7480 of 7,540
Scholar

The only reason I don’t like doing that is because the box is constantly reminding me that I’m not connected to the Internet whenever I do a search or go to the home screen. 

Also, new (yet very old) problem with new GUI. I’m losing recordings AGAIN! Last night I hit List, had duplicates of some and lost others. There was no letter that it went to like it used to, meaning the list didn’t stop at like “D” or “M.” The whole list was there, but there were several recordings missing. 

Are we really reverting to old problems?! 

Message 7481 of 7,540
Scholar

This is an indication of the worst fears I had once it became clear that there was starting to be HS17 specific versions of New Code versions.... (different to what was being pushed to HR54 units)

A Fork in the code base will inevitably lead to bad outcomes such as this where old bugs (that once HAD been overcome) will start to be re-introduced to one forked version of the code or the other. 

When a Fork in the code base is done for whatever reason , it must be tightly managed to avoid this , since there has been no sign of any discipline in this process with the 18month nightmare this rollout has been thus far , it was only a matter of time until this started to happen and will continue to happen.

Unfortunately this could end up being the demise of the HR54 platform because at some point AT&T will no longer put the energy into further development of the older HR54 platform that they already have moved away from in preference to the HS17.

This will ultimately mean that when bugs are fixed for the HS17 fork of the code that won't mean they will ever put the energy into fixed the HR54 code and it will just continue to be deprecated and not treated with any priority compared to the "active" Fork code in the HS17.

The ULTIMATE example of how NOT to manage or rollout a GUI for a consumer product......

regards,

Brad  

Message 7482 of 7,540
ACE - Expert

@bradoz7 wrote:

This is an indication of the worst fears I had once it became clear that there was starting to be HS17 specific versions of New Code versions.... (different to what was being pushed to HR54 units)

A Fork in the code base will inevitably lead to bad outcomes such as this where old bugs (that once HAD been overcome) will start to be re-introduced to one forked version of the code or the other. 

I don't think there's a "fork in the code" between the HR44/54 Genie and HS17 platforms. It's just that sometimes they choose to release new code on just one of those platforms before the other. Frankly, the HS17 is need of serious help, so I'm not surprised that they would push out new code on that platform first. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7483 of 7,540
Mentor

https://news.utexas.edu/2019/04/16/teens-appetite-for-rebellion-can-counter-their-appetite-for-junk-...

So, regarding the nag to reconnect to the internet, consider the recent story of messaging to teens on junk food. When they decided that the messages they received (ads for junk food) were attempts to manipulate them, teens made healthier choices, perhaps out of rebellion. They wanted control and got it.

I consider my genie using the language of error conditions (reconnect now) as manipulative language trying to get me to allow it to get access to things I don’t want or need (ads, tracking, ppv). It’s my house. I decide what goes on that tv. I just ignore it.

Message 7484 of 7,540
Employee

Hello Community,

Thank you so much for all your feedback over the last year and a half.  It has been invaluable, and has led to several updates and changes over that time.  With that said, I wanted to come back to the group, and see what features or options are you wanting going forward?  They can be features that used to be on the UI that changed, or something new that interests you.

My only ask is that you bullet point them out so they can be consolidated and sent to our developers as soon as possible.  I can't guarantee that the features will be implemented, but the dev team is asking for your feedback so they are still working to make this the best UI it can be.

As an example, here are a few I've heard in the past:

• When sorting A-Z,Z-A,New-Old,Old-New that it saves, or that you have the option to save it
  • Have the ability to control font size in the menu (small or large, with smaller font allowing for more rows of the guide to be shown)
  • Revamped Manage Recordings - Received different feedback on how this should look
  • More categories for shows and movies - Drama, Action, Horror, etc

I get alerts whenever you post, so I'll be tallying the data each day and sending it off.

Thanks

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7485 of 7,540
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support