Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

 

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

 

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

 

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

486,122 Views
Message 70 of 7,566
Mentor

Re: The new user interface is horrible

I noticed that there is another instance of a nice transparent progress bar at 4:42 of GordonGekko99's video find. Will try to upload a snapshot. 

Message 7411 of 7,566
Scholar

Re: The new user interface is horrible

The problem with all of this.  Look at who put up this new unusable guide and even promoted as the state of the art and advertised.  Then look how their numbers fell by the millions of customers.  I know some of this is cord cutting but for it to be right inline with this guide it is not all cord cutting.  A lot of this is service they have dumbed us down to. It takes less than 24 hours for the readers here to come up with better ideas.  This should show us we are in incompetent hands.

Message 7412 of 7,566
Highlighted

Re: The new user interface is horrible

@theverb ,

 

Thank you Theverb, I think it would help illustrate the differences. I just don't understand @ATTTimCS , on another website that follows Directv I posted your screenshot and they don't think your picture of the progress bar is any different than what has been out for six months.

 

Is Directv deliberately making the satellite GUI less desirable and functional than the internet NOW GUI, are there different programmers, does NOW have more expensive and higher quality programmers, why can't Directv/AT&T use the same transparent progress bar on both systems.

Message 7413 of 7,566
Scholar

Re: The new user interface is horrible

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim, what is the update (if any) with regards to the DVR List problem that we’ve discussed? (Where when you go back it doesn’t go to the episode you’re on in the playlist.) This problem is still existing when the scroll bar is present. 

 

Also, do they have any intention of bringing back the option of selecting programs to delete instead of on a one at a time basis? 

 

From the look of the “new” progress bar, it simply looks as though AT&T is not listening to their customers needs and wants. 

 

Message 7414 of 7,566
Scholar

Re: The new user interface is horrible

I have to agree , the bug of going to a different program in the list when you "go back" is down right annoying and has been a bug that has been disclosed a LONG time ago yet has never been fixed , what gives AT&T ? , it's like talking to a brick wall , why not FIX your programming bugs and fix the GUI as people have been asking you to do ?

Too much time spent coding stupid screen savers and toggling on and off logos and not enough time spent on FIXING the base code and functionality , disgraceful ....

 

Brad

Message 7415 of 7,566
Mentor

Re: The new user interface is horrible

Genie Gen 2, HR44-500 (WiFi)
Revision (Software) 0x114B, Tue 1-15-19
Genie Mini, C51-700
Client Sortware 0xfba 2017/11/15, 0x1oof Downloaded Tue 7/3
Missouri (for rollout purpose)

 

@bradoz7

"going to a different program in the list when you "go back" is down right annoying and has been a bug that has been disclosed a LONG time ago"

I agree.  This seemed anomaly to have gotten better for a while but is really rearing it's ugly head again now.  In the past, this is when the wrong program got deleted but I'm so cautious about it now that I have been catching it, that is until I'm in a hurry or half asleep, then I'm sure I'll delete the wrong program again sometime in the future.

 

My dad's generation had a term that applies here, SNAFU.  The other day I was in the auto parts store shopping there instead of Walmart, doing my part trying to keep them in business in our small town.  The counter guy & I were trying to figure the difference between Valvoline Conventional Oil and Valvoline Premium Conventional Oil.  Valvoline's web site wasn't any help and on opening one of the cases on the self, we found one bottle of Premium Conventional mixed in with the Conventional Oil.  I looked at the counter guy and asked, "Did AT&T buy Valvoline?".  That started a rolling laugh among the other customers in the shop and then they started their own, "fill in the blank" is all messed up, did AT&T buy "fill in the blank"?

 

My dad also had a saying for situations like the AT&T era DirecTV, {edited for word filter evasion}.  I don't remember using those terms in my 6 year hitch but they sure seem to apply in this situation.

 

John (AT&T Test Dummy)

Message 7416 of 7,566

Re: The new user interface is horrible

@WRJW971  @ATTTimCS 

 

Yes WRJW971, this is what troubles me, Tim, even you wrote ( a few months ago) that the latest progress bar that I have with the 0x114b update was too dark, don't worry, this should be my last post to you on this topic until we hear back from you, and I appreciate your time and help.

 

When you get the chance, I hope you can answer all of my previous questions regarding the progress bar and forward the information to the programmers in hopes we can get the fully clear NOW progress bar.

 

But I realize sometimes AT&T needs to move in small steps and so that at least we can be assured that some incremental changes will happen. Is there any chance that the new progress bar can at least match the shading of the menu/info bar on the top 1/3 of the screen, that might give us a shot at reading sports scores/headlines. Because Tim, it appears that your screenshot has not changed from what I am currently looking at and I see a clear difference between the lower progress bar and the lighter more transparent upper menu bar.

 

Thanks again for your time.

Message 7417 of 7,566
Employee

Re: The new user interface is horrible


@WRJW971 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim, what is the update (if any) with regards to the DVR List problem that we’ve discussed? (Where when you go back it doesn’t go to the episode you’re on in the playlist.) This problem is still existing when the scroll bar is present. 

 

Also, do they have any intention of bringing back the option of selecting programs to delete instead of on a one at a time basis? 

 

From the look of the “new” progress bar, it simply looks as though AT&T is not listening to their customers needs and wants. 

 


Hi @WRJW971 , I just sent our team my logs yesterday as I had this issue again.  They are working on a resolution, and hopefully it will be soon.  I don't have an ETR though.

 

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7418 of 7,566
Employee

Re: The new user interface is horrible


@gordongekko99 wrote:

@WRJW971  @ATTTimCS 

 

Yes WRJW971, this is what troubles me, Tim, even you wrote ( a few months ago) that the latest progress bar that I have with the 0x114b update was too dark, don't worry, this should be my last post to you on this topic until we hear back from you, and I appreciate your time and help.

 

When you get the chance, I hope you can answer all of my previous questions regarding the progress bar and forward the information to the programmers in hopes we can get the fully clear NOW progress bar.

 

But I realize sometimes AT&T needs to move in small steps and so that at least we can be assured that some incremental changes will happen. Is there any chance that the new progress bar can at least match the shading of the menu/info bar on the top 1/3 of the screen, that might give us a shot at reading sports scores/headlines. Because Tim, it appears that your screenshot has not changed from what I am currently looking at and I see a clear difference between the lower progress bar and the lighter more transparent upper menu bar.

 

Thanks again for your time.


Hi @gordongekko99 .  I always try and be as straightforward as possible, so I'll admit that I didn't see a change at first either.  When I did compare the two, it is a shade lighter.  I went to a friends house and used DTV Now to get a screen shot like what you have in your video, but mine looked much different.  I see your video was from 2017, and it appears the UI has changed there as well.  It is much darker now for DTV Now from what I saw.  It almost completely blocked out the crawl on ESPN for example.  I am still sending the video though that you sent though, and will keep trying.  I wish I had all the legalese as to why it can't get lighter, but I'll keep asking for it to get lighter.  I apologize I wasn't able to get this one totally resolved yet.

 

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7419 of 7,566

Re: The new user interface is horrible

Hi @ATTTimCS ,

 

Thanks for continuing to try to enact changes and please continue to do what you wrote vis a vis forwarding the videos and trying to get more feedback on what their ultimate goals are for this GUI but can you also try the small step of at least matching the shading to the more transparent upper menu bar?

 

Also I found a 2019 video that reviews the Directv NOW dvr, look at the 2:07 mark, yes it does darken the entire screen but it looks like you can possibly read scores, is this what you saw at your friend's house? If you look at the cartoon network logo in the lower right corner, it still is visible.

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=127

 

Thank you. 

 

Update: And again look at the 3:20 mark, all of the text can be fully read with the progress bar engaged:

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=200

 

Update II: At 0:09 mark of this video, this might be what you saw Tim, it does appear darker, either way if we can work on at least matching the upper menu bar, there might be a chance we can read the scores:

 

https://youtu.be/0ddOHgs2fBY?t=9

Message 7420 of 7,566
Employee

Re: The new user interface is horrible


@gordongekko99 wrote:

Hi @ATTTimCS ,

 

Thanks for continuing to try to enact changes and please continue to do what you wrote vis a vis forwarding the videos and trying to get more feedback on what their ultimate goals are for this GUI but can you also try the small step of at least matching the shading to the more transparent upper menu bar?

 

Also I found a 2019 video that reviews the Directv NOW dvr, look at the 2:07 mark, yes it does darken the entire screen but it looks like you can possibly read scores, is this what you saw at your friend's house? If you look at the cartoon network logo in the lower right corner, it still is visible.

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=127

 

Thank you. 

 

Update: And again look at the 3:20 mark, all of the text can be fully read with the progress bar engaged:

 

https://youtu.be/iYb1DqEIUCY?t=200

 

Update II: At 0:09 mark of this video, this might be what you saw Tim, it does appear darker, either way if we can work on at least matching the upper menu bar, there might be a chance we can read the scores:

 

https://youtu.be/0ddOHgs2fBY?t=9


Hi @gordongekko99.  Those videos don't look like what I experienced when I paused DTV Now on an Apple TV.  Apparently different products have slightly different UI's.  Firestick, Apple TV, etc.  I included what it looks like on Apple TV below.

 

DTVNOW.JPG

 

 

 

 

I also reached out to ask for clarification on the legibility requirements.  They provided this screenshot which does actually help put it into perspective for me.  Hopefully this helps others as well.

 

Capture.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As you can see, if there isn't shading, certain fonts won't be visible to customers.  Again, I know the ask is for it to be lighter, and I am doing that, but I'm not sure it will get much lighter than it is in the image I shared.

 

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7421 of 7,566
Teacher

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

 

Agree 100%...reported below menu/GUI problem two months ago.  Nothing fixed to date. 

 

MENU PROBLEM:

Two months and counting. First reported that the menu/functionality associated with Series Manager was screwed up on Jan 20, 2019. This happened immediately after DTV pushed out their latest software update. As of today “nothing” has changed. Series Manager still does not reflect was is being recorded or what upcoming episodes can be recorded.  For some reason it also reflects both EST & PST schedules when it occasionally reflects a random episode, I am in the PST. 

 

AT&T responded once on 1/21/19.  Saying they were “already working on it and a quick resolution”.  Nothing more than a disingenuous standard auto response answer. Their last menu/GUI problem took 6 months to fix. And they wonder why people are leaving DTV by the thousands. I changed my account from 3 to 1 TV, returning the mini Genies.  Put an Apple TV and Roku device on both and they work perfectly. One more month with this horrible “cell phone focused” company and I can switch to DISH....yeah!!!!

Message 7422 of 7,566

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim, without getting into too many areas where I disagree with the explanation given to you, why can't they just shade the area where the text and timeline appears, why the need to shade 90 percent of the box that has zero text/timeline beneath it?

 

And again I will point out the lighter menu bar on the top 1/3rd of the screen, lighter and has a better chance of reading scores behind it and zero problems reading any of the text in the info boxes.

Message 7423 of 7,566

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim if you get a chance I think the perfect program to illustrate the top menu/lower progress bar differences is Jeopardy. If you watch Jeopardy while Alex is displaying an answer clue, hit the info button and then hit the play/pause/ff button to bring up the progress bar timeline and shaded box. You will see that you can fully read the answer clue and fully read the info text about the Jeopardy show, of course you also notice that the progress bar box is way darker. I think this could be a solution and since Directv is already using this lighter shade with the menu bar and the info box, it should meet their legal requirements.

 

Judging by the feedback you are getting, this might be the best sports/news watchers can hope for but I don't see how they can't match up the tones. Thanks.

 

Also if someone here can screenshot the menu bar info box with the progress bar, we would see the difference, thanks.

Message 7424 of 7,566
Employee

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?


@gordongekko99 wrote:

@ATTTimCS 

 

Tim if you get a chance I think the perfect program to illustrate the top menu/lower progress bar differences is Jeopardy. If you watch Jeopardy while Alex is displaying an answer clue, hit the info button and then hit the play/pause/ff button to bring up the progress bar timeline and shaded box. You will see that you can fully read the answer clue and fully read the info text about the Jeopardy show, of course you also notice that the progress bar box is way darker. I think this could be a solution and since Directv is already using this lighter shade with the menu bar and the info box, it should meet their legal requirements.

 

Judging by the feedback you are getting, this might be the best sports/news watchers can hope for but I don't see how they can't match up the tones. Thanks.

 

Also if someone here can screenshot the menu bar info box with the progress bar, we would see the difference, thanks.


Hi @gordongekko99.  That is part of the new update that is beginning to roll out.  The Play/Pause bar will match the transparency of the info section from my understanding.  Once you get the update, please let me know your thoughts.

 

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7425 of 7,566
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support