Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: The new user interface is horrible

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,594
Tutor

I could get over the new GUI if they would just fix the software.  

Before the update, I was able to view all channels, HD and SD.  Now, when I try going to HD, it says that my TV isn't HD, even though it is.  They apparently have removed the ability to view HD (720p) over the S-Video and composite video outputs.  

According to technical support, the only ways I can get HD now are:

1: Use HDMI, which my TV doesn't have.

2: Use component outputs, which would result in loosing the ability to use by DVD player.

3: Use an adapter (that they are sending) that will allow output via my TV's coax input.

They shouldn't call it an "upgrade" when it reduces functionality.

Message 45 of 7,594
Highlighted
Teacher

I concur the new interface is horrible. Also, the entire database of information regarding actors and crew is screwed up. There is no bio info and there are no crew titles. 

Additionally, just logging in to this forum was a pain. Why, if you already are logged in to the site, do I need to create a second log in for the forums? Since I was already logged in as a customer, they should have known what equipment I have. I couldn't answer that question, because my receiver is racked and there is no vendor identifying information on the front or top, just the DirecTV branding info.  

It is clear from the viewer interface to the forum  design, that no management person in this company has a clue about user interface design. They should try it from the customer perspective. 

Message 46 of 7,594
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by ke4ktz 

They apparently have removed the ability to view HD (720p) over the S-Video and composite video outputs.  

S-video was never able to carry HD signals.  the only difference between the new and the old interface, is that the new interface now makes you aware of it.   the S-video connection can only output in 480i which is SD resolution.  if you really have an HDTV, what model of T do you ave?, you can use the component cables to con net the HD receiver. and the S-video to connect the DVD player

Message 47 of 7,594
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by mjkgr 

Additionally, just logging in to this forum was a pain. Why, if you already are logged in to the site, do I need to create a second log in for the forums? 

Because the forums can also be used for prospective DirecTV customers.  who don't have an account yet.

Message 48 of 7,594
Tutor

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
S-video was never able to carry HD signals.  the only difference between the new and the old interface, is that the new interface now makes you aware of it.   the S-video connection can only output in 480i which is SD resolution.  if you really have an HDTV, what model of T do you ave?, you can use the component cables to con net the HD receiver. and the S-video to connect the DVD player

I beg to differ with you.  Prior to this update, I was getting the FULL HD screen at 720p.  Now, in the "SD" mode it chops off quite a large bit of the screen, both horizontally and vertically.  This is the same chopped off screen that I get on the SD channel.  

I'm paying for the entire screen, I'd like to be able to see it.  I was able to see it before the update, but don't get to anymore after the update!

I have an older RCA TV that only has one set of component inputs and those are used by my DVD player.  If I switch them over to the DirecTV receiver, I loose the ability to use the DVD.  S-Video and composite are my only options.  

Finances don't allow me to purchase a new TV.  Plus, my existing one works just fine!

Message 49 of 7,594
Tutor

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmie57 

Copied and Pasted from Wikipedia Again.

Separate Video,[1]more commonly known as S-Videoand Y/C, is often referred to by JVC(who introduced the DIN-connector pictured) as both an S-VHSconnector[2]and as Super Video.[3]It is an analog videotransmission scheme, in which video information is encoded on two channels: luma(luminance, intensity, "Y") and chroma(colour, "C"). This separation is in contrast with lower-quality composite video, in which all video information is encoded on one channel, and higher-quality component video, in which video information is encoded on three channels. S-Video carriesstandard definitionvideo (typically at480ior576iresolution), but does not carry audio on the same cable.

You can NOT get HD from an S Video.

What is the Model number of your TV ?  We have helped 2 others with the older RCA TVs.

The older version(s) of the software in the DirecTV receiver were scaling the video over S-Video AND Composite Video and displaying the ENTIRE HD SCREEN!  With this update, it no longer does this and chops off quite a bit of the screen (horizontally AND vertically) and doesn't give me the entire picture that I'm paying for.

Message 50 of 7,594
Tutor

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmie57

Do you want help with this or just to gripe ?

Can't help you with you not answering the questions.

Can't help if you refuse to accept facts.

You could use a splitter to use Component cables from the DVR and from the DVD player and then one set of Component cables to the TV.

What is the model of your TV ?

I didn't answer your question because I'm not with the TV now to be able to get it.

Yes, I could go out and spend MORE MONEY to buy a switch. However, good luck finding one that won't degrade the video quality. That's a universal complaint to these units. Plus, why should I have to buy a switch when it worked through the S-Video and Composite inputs before the upgrade?

The bottom line is that this is a software bug in the update. Previous versions properly scaled the HD picture, via S-Video AND Composite, to the TV. There were times that I would have the same channel on two TV's and I was seeing more of the image on the 720p system than on the 480p system. Turn on any sports event and you'll quickly see how much more information you see on the HD channel that you don't see on the SD channel.

This update removed functionality that was previously there. If they're going to force updates to us, then they need to keep all existing functionality. Most people cannot go out a buy new TV's every year.

Message 51 of 7,594
Mentor

I would have to agree with mkjkr's opinion. In response to his question or comments.

I have had the new Guide for a few weeks & there is still little in the new program description like the names of the actors and then when looking at the cast & crew on many you get very little info, the movie or program description are very sparse.. This seems from memory to be much different than the old guide. I often don't recognize the tittle so I look to see who is in it and most often I have to hit info & then more info to get in and I still find little. What Happened? Just one of many things I do not like on the new guide & yes I have written directly to DirecTV.

Message 52 of 7,594
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by rgh43 

Now you are moving the Cloo channel 

never heard of this channel

Message 53 of 7,594
Scholar

Surprised

Message 54 of 7,594
Tutor

Just discovered another major flaw since the "upgrade". When I do a smart search for a movie title I want to record, the title comes up, but when I select it, it tells me no criteria matches. This movie is just a few days out, it happens for all search titles, and when I SLOWLY move through the "faster" guide, it turns up, and I can then set up a recording. DirecTV is clueless about this; tried having me re-boot.

Nice work on the improvements. Yeah, improving your bottom line suggesting PPV shows as we move through the cumbersome new GUI.

Message 55 of 7,594
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by jhkjhk 

Just discovered another major flaw since the "upgrade". When I do a smart search for a movie title I want to record, the title comes up, but when I select it, it tells me no criteria matches. This movie is just a few days out, it happens for all search titles, and when I SLOWLY move through the "faster" guide, it turns up, and I can then set up a recording. DirecTV is clueless about this; tried having me re-boot.

Nice work on the improvements. Yeah, improving your bottom line suggesting PPV shows as we move through the cumbersome new GUI.

Reset your DVR twice within 30-minutes. That will force the DVR to rebuild its Guide database. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 7,594
Tutor

"Necessity is the mother of invention." Not that recording movies is a necessity. I will try that, but in the meantime, I tried recording from the DirecTV guide online. It's much easier, although I'm not sure how to record beyond the first (earliest) result, which might clutter my DVR. Anyway, I think I might like this better anyway.

Message 57 of 7,594
Contributor

Direct TV

Does anyone know how to change the DVRs back to the old UI? The new UI has the worst contrasting colors that make it extremely hard to read. I suspect that DirectTV is taking leads from Microsoft on POOR User Interfaces. Why on earth anyone would be using DARK colors with poor contrast is totally beyond thought.This was not an improvement, the old guide was far superior to this one. Did you consult any of your customers to see what they thought, You can't read anything unless you are close, my husband who does not see well can not see a lot of anything.

Message 58 of 7,594
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by rgentna

Direct TV

Does anyone know how to change the DVRs back to the old UI? T....

Did you actually read this thread? There's no way to go back.  Unless you want to downgrade to Standard Definition equipment which will not be getting the new user interface. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 59 of 7,594
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support