Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 7,566

Re: The new user interface is horrible

I agree with the statements of very poor readablity with the new UI.  I have two standard recievers and as of a few minutes ago, I still have the older blue UI and can read it without glasses and being right on top of the tv.

I also have a R15dvr and recieved this new UI (small white letters on a black backgroung) and my senior citzen uncle and I both have problems

reading this new guide.

As has been stated above, the only way this is going to change (maybe) is to keep sending e-mails to DTV and telling them they need to go back to the older UI.

The new UI on my r15 is very much slower then the old guide.

Keep e-mailing DTV.

Message 15 of 7,566
Highlighted
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by cabletech 

The new UI on my r15 is very much slower then the old guide.

Keep e-mailing DTV.

The R15 SD DVR's will NOT get the new HD GUI.  only HD and HDDVR's will.

Message 16 of 7,566
Expert

I am just glad that Dish Network is perfect  Surprised

Message 17 of 7,566
Contributor

I agree 100% it's so bad!!!! Im straining to see the guide. The blk background makes it so hard to see...But our comments wont make a differenceSmiley Sad

Message 18 of 7,566
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by charstar29 

I agree 100% it's so bad!!!! Im straining to see the guide. The blk background makes it so hard to see...But our comments wont make a differenceSmiley Sad

Check your TV's video settings .... especially its "Brightness" or "Picture" adjustment.  The background should be dark gray, not black.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 7,566
Teacher

Doesn't really matter, if you call it Black, faded Black, Gray or Dark Gray and I would say Black.  You have smaller Font and some of the Font is not as intense as the rest.  All in all this leads to it being difficult to see.  I have a 55", 37" & a 19".  The large one is Plasma and the others are an LCD and an Edge Lit LCD.  In addition I still have one old 27' that has the old GUI and that GUI is still more readable than the new GUI setups. 

Again what do consumers want, to us in the Customer Service industry (38yrs) if you intend to improve your product make sure it is an improvement over the existing product or don't bother to change it as you will upset your customer base and receive a lot of bad publicity.  Been there done that, the employees (usually Techs) that work with the product will tell you if asked which they usually are not, what problems they see. 

They can see the problems instantly so why not ask them or even try a BETA version to see how it can be refined before a launch that creates a large amount of negative publicity. 

Even MSN does that in an effort to fix problems before release.  I would guesstimate if DT took a pool they would find that the bulk of customers have some problems with the new GUI but many will never join a forum or even call or write. 

I did try to reset  my TV to see if that helped when the new GUI downloaded last week but it didn't make any difference so I tried other picture adjustments but still the same.

All DirecTV needs to do is make it easily readable, small changes and most everyone would be satisfied!!!!.

Message 20 of 7,566
ACE - Expert

Just FYI, the GUI went through extensive beta testing and the overwhelming response was positive. I have the new GUI on several TVs ranging from 19 in to 60 inch and the presentation is excellent on all the TVs, IMHO it is a vast improvement on the old one.  And I am retired and wear glasses.

Some people with larger HDTVs even wanted smaller font with more data on the screen, for example more future guide data.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 7,566
Contributor

God-awful! How can you be so stupid and inconsiderate? At least offer the option to revert to the previous interface.

Message 22 of 7,566
ACE - Expert

We don't work for DirecTV, we are all just users here. If you want to comment on this to DirecTV, e-mail them....

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 23 of 7,566
Contributor

Thanks. Took me a while and a phone call to find out how send them my comments. If you care, here's what I said:

God-awful! Impossible to read. Can't read white type on black background. NOT an improvement. The old interface was not broke. Why did you try to fix it? Did you test it with real people before launching it? You should at least offer options to change the screen configuration and colors or even to revert to the previous format. Are you not aware of the recent Netflix fiasco? Do you remember New Coke? And the silver Coke cans this past holiday season? Shame on you, DirecTV.

Message 24 of 7,566
Contributor

Thanks. Took me a while and a phone call to find out how send them my comments. If you care, here's what I said:

God-awful! Impossible to read. Can't read white type on black background. NOT an improvement. The old interface was not broke. Why did you try to fix it? Did you test it with real people before launching it? You should at least offer options to change the screen configuration and colors or even to revert to the previous format. Are you not aware of the recent Netflix fiasco? Do you remember New Coke? And the silver Coke cans this past holiday season? Shame on you, DirecTV.

Message 25 of 7,566
Contributor

I also HATE the new interface! Have to really strain to read it and top portion is cut off to where it can't be read. What in heck's name WERE they thinking? I hate it so much that I will consider canceling service if I find a better provider. I did call and voice my disproval, but I don't think they care. Several of us at work voice they same complaints and I encouraged them to write and call Direct TV to complain.

Remember those horrible blue headlights on cars that blinded the older people whose eyes are less accommodating? I think this is a similar problem,.The younger designers did not take into consideration those of us with less than perfect eyesight . We just cannot read this interface well!!!

Please, please write and call Direct Tv to voice our concerns!

Message 26 of 7,566
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by saundra19 

I also HATE the new interface

best to e-mail your feedback to DirecTV.  they won't see it here

Message 27 of 7,566
Contributor

how can Direct TV say the new interface is faster? maybe it is faster when scrolling through channels. It isn't faster when selecting different items form the menu. Talk about clunky and slow.. ugh.. 

Message 28 of 7,566
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by dexterity 

It isn't faster when selecting different items form the menu. Talk about clunky and slow.. ugh.. 

that did not changed.  that is inherent of the receiver.

best to e-mail your feedback to DirecTV.  they won't see it here

Message 29 of 7,566
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support