Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

*** WHO THE HE** DESIGNED BETTER YET APPROVED THE NEW DIRECTV GUI MENUS THAT APPEARED ON MY DVRS TODAY?

because they need to be fired!

WOW Directv???? You couldnt come up with anything better than that BLAND DISMAL ATTROCIOUS design of a menu?

Thank you for ruining my TV experience. Not joking! Not happy either!

Good Work !

Message 70 of 6,741
Teacher

The new user interface is horrible

Does anyone know how to change the DVRs back to the old UI? The new UI has the worst contrasting colors that make it extremely hard to read. I suspect that DirectTV is taking leads from Microsoft on POOR User Interfaces.  Why on earth anyone would be using DARK colors with poor contrast is totally beyond thought.

At any rate if anyone knows how to correct this now POOR UI I would greatly appreciate it.

Message 1 of 6,741
Employee

Re: The new user interface is horrible

There is no way to go back to the old GUI.  

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6,741
ACE - Expert

Be sure to email your feedback directly to DirecTV via their main web site. They likely won't see your comments here. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6,741
Tutor

Not liking it so far. All text is smaller and harder to read. Interface is not as fluid. Movie images not necessary (and do not appear yet) Many graphics now missing including favorites. Just looks bland and gloomy. I do not notice a speed improvement. The whole guide looks either incomplete, not well thought out or just change for change sake. Not impressed. I think a company your size can do a lot better.

Message 4 of 6,741
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by cmundi 

Not liking it so far. All text is smaller and harder to read. Interface is not as fluid. Movie images not necessary (and do not appear yet) Many graphics now missing including favorites. Just looks bland and gloomy. I do not notice a speed improvement. The whole guide looks either incomplete, not well thought out or just change for change sake. Not impressed. I think a company your size can do a lot better.

thanks for staring your own thread. see you answers there.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6,741
Teacher

This was not an improvement, the old guide was far superior to this one. Did you consult any of your customers to see what they thought, even Microsoft uses a Beta version before they dump it on their customers.  You have done yourself a disservice as well as your subscribers.  Ever hear of Netflix.

DirectTV

I can say that there are very few things I like about the new guide. 

You have a very difficult time seeing the channel numbers on the left of the guide. They are small and not as bright as the call letters and programs? .

Black for the Background color, who came up with that idea? With the black background a person really has to strain to see the programs that are listed unless it is the hi-lighted program. The background and hi lighting on the old guide was far better.

“How long did you test this new program, did you have a Beta to test with users? If you did it was certainly a closely held secret.

The old version of the guide was much easier to view, change is only good when it improves.   

I could comment more but if it made any difference or changes I would be quite surprised.

Is there anyway for customers to go back to the old guide, I have been scrolling the guide for the last several minutes trying to find a show and I find the new guide is extremely irritating to use. 

Message 6 of 6,741
Teacher

This was not an improvement, the old guide was far superior to this one. Did you consult any of your customers to see what they thought, even Microsoft uses a Beta version before they dump it on their customers.  You have done yourself a disservice as well as your subscribers.  Ever hear of Netflix.

DirectTV

I can say that there are very few things I like about the new guide. 

You have a very difficult time seeing the channel numbers on the left of the guide. They are small and not as bright as the call letters and programs? .

Black for the Background color, who came up with that idea? With the black background a person really has to strain to see the programs that are listed unless it is the hi-lighted program. The background and hi lighting on the old guide was far better.

“How long did you test this new program, did you have a Beta to test with users? If you did it was certainly a closely held secret.

The old version of the guide was much easier to view, change is only good when it improves.   

I could comment more but if it made any difference or changes I would be quite surprised.

Is there anyway for customers to go back to the old guide, I have been scrolling the guide for the last several minutes trying to find a show and I find the new guide is extremely irritating to use. 

Message 7 of 6,741
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by ralphie43 

Is there anyway for customers to go back to the old guide, ..... 

No.  

Be sure to email your feedback directly to DirecTV to ensure they see it.  We're customers like you, not employees.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 6,741
Tutor

I like the new interface.

Message 9 of 6,741
Tutor

Quote:I agree that the new GUI is horrible. In Graphics 101 it is generally considered a cardinal sin to put white type on black/dark background for a myriad of reasons. They probably did it for "drama" but it ends up just plain hard to read!! They should offer a choice like a lot of other web sites do.
Originally Posted by lightwire 

Does anyone know how to change the DVRs back to the old UI? The new UI has the worst contrasting colors that make it extremely hard to read. I suspect that DirectTV is taking leads from Microsoft on POOR User Interfaces.  Why on earth anyone would be using DARK colors with poor contrast is totally beyond thought.

At any rate if anyone knows how to correct this now POOR UI I would greatly appreciate it.

Message 10 of 6,741
Highlighted
Tutor

I can't understand how DirecTv could do this to their customers.  You can't read anything unless you are close.  and my husband who does not see well can not see alot of anything.   It is just very unfriendly.   They did not think of these things when they made the changes and then they just updated without even asking.   I would prefer to be on the older version.

Message 11 of 6,741
ACE - Expert

Be sure to read post #3 above. 

Message 12 of 6,741
Contributor

I sent this e-mail to DTV:

The following are comments from my entire family. We are not opposed to change, so this not about the guide being

‘new’. All TV’s are large 1080P units.

Issues: (not in order of preference)

Black background with white text. –
This is probably the worst contrasting colors you can use. It makes it hard to read and hurts the eyes. Do you

use these colors on your computer? I have worked in IT for 25 years and have NEVER seen somebody setup

their computer with this color scheme.

All text is smaller and harder to read. –
The entire menu system is harder to read due to smaller text size. The channel numbers on the left of the

guide are dimmed yet the station name is bright. We primarily use the channel number and then the station

name. The channel number should at least as big and bright as the station name.

No speed improvement. –
Enough said.

Program Info is hard to read. –
What is the purpose of mottled blue graphic behind program info? This makes the white text hard to read.

-----------------

DTV's response:

A new high definition user interface (HDUI) that will improve the appearance and usability of the on-screen guide and menu are being sent via software downloads. While we are unable to switch your old Guide nor customize the background to a different color, we would like to inform you that your new guide is faster, smarter, and easier to use. Lightning-fast technology lets you scroll through hundreds of shows in seconds. Intuitive technology reminds you when your favorite shows are on and recommends new ones based on what you like.

I would like to personally assure you that your feedback about our service is very important to us. So I've forwarded your email to DIRECTV's Management Team, who review every suggestion, inquiry and complaint for trends from our most important customers to determine what changes should be considered. While this will not have an immediate impact, it will provide us with critical information when reviewing our processes and taking the necessary steps to make them more effective.

-------------------

Please send them an E-Mail!

We need to let them know this 'upgrade' is a failure so far.....

Message 13 of 6,741
Teacher

A portion of the reply from DirecTV is pasted below.

As usual the response is similar to the replies that you get back from your Congressman.  Remember do not give up the battle.  

Improved graphics, what do they think subscribers are complaining about. It’s the poor graphics, some one on one of the forums made the comment does anyone have a black background on their PC, no it is to difficult to see so why would DirecTV think it would be easier to see on a large screen plasma?  Now they seem to forget you could see the old guide very clearly with the lighter blue background and the yellow hi lighting which is very clear to the eye. I still have an old 32” in one bedroom so I can look at the old graphics for comparison so they can’t BS me.

It would seem they really don’t care what their customers would like before making a major change like this.  Do they think this will inspire customer loyalty? As time goes on they are going to have more and more competition, I wonder if they have heard of NetFlix?

DirecTV: Portion of their reply.

Improved graphics of the new DIRECTV HD UI are designed to be on par with today's crystal clear graphics customers expect from their electronic appliances.  The HD UI is also designed to be more user-friendly.

Another noticeable improvement will be overall UI performance. Customers will notice a more responsive UI from Guide scroll and scroll through playlist options, to the choice in the menu selections.

There are new menu options available for the HD UI.  The menu flow is similar to the White UI, however some of the menu items have been moved or regrouped.

Please note that the upgrade is an integral part of DIRECTV’s ongoing efforts to modernize and improve our products and services. Nevertheless, future enhancements may require that new HD UI be in place. We often make changes based on customer feedback so thank you for letting us know how you feel. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up individually with every customer, rest assured every suggestion and comment is reviewed.

Message 14 of 6,741
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support